Sign in to follow this  
Boeing or not going

Are airline specific options just a marketing gimmick?

I have downloaded every freighter repaint listed as having an accurate airline option file from PMDG and noticed most of them are wrong. With basic things like no freighter has a passenger smoking or electronic signage. All the European airlines should have C as the default temperature and Kg as their weight. And some carrier specific like Air France does not have TCAS range arcs or angle of attack indicator you can tell just by looking at airliners.net pictures even. So what else is wrong?

Is the carrier specific claim from PMDG just a marketing gimmick?

All the European airlines should have C as the default temperature and Kg as their weight

This appears just fine for me, no clue why you aren't seeing this.. Are you sure it isn't a bug with the operations centre?

freighter has a passenger smoking or electronic signage.

They do, however, have supernumerary signs, which is what should be appearing on your overhead.. Hmm..

Aamir Thacker

So what else is wrong?
You think that's bad?  I've noticed that on some aircraft with passenger cabins the latches on the tray tables turn clockwise when in real life they turn counterclockwise. Also, some sea tback pockets aren't nearly deep enough to stow the aircraft safety card, a magazine and a few barf bags. The quality of high end payware these days is really going downhill.

As you install several different liveries, their specific airline option configs gets messed up.

Every time you load up a different airline livery with a different config, go to 'PMDG options', 'Aircraft' and you'll see the reg of the config you're running is different to the actual aircraft reg you have in your external livery. You need to correct this every time you install a new livery.

Here's an example, suppose that I'm installing a livery with the reg 'A6-EFJ'(a third party repaint). Before I do this I'll need to Install PMDG's original Emirates SkyCargo livery that has the reg 'A6-EFF' so I can get the accurate airline config for this airline. Once I load up A6-EFJ and go to 'PMDG Options' and then 'Aircraft' (in the CDU). The aircraft has loaded up with a wrong airline config. I will then choose 'Load from Another' and then pick 'A6-EFF' and problem solved.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Yusuf Keyre

You think that's bad?  I've noticed that on some aircraft with passenger cabins the latches on the tray tables turn clockwise when in real life they turn counterclockwise. Also, some sea tback pockets aren't nearly deep enough to stow the aircraft safety card, a magazine and a few barf bags. The quality of high end payware these days is really going downhill.

So a useless off topic post attacking a topic you don't agree with. Thanks for adding to the discussion about advertised airline specific options configurations by PMDG.

As you install several different liveries, their specific airline option configs gets messed up.

Every time you load up a different airline livery with a different config, go to 'PMDG options', 'Aircraft' and you'll see the reg of the config you're running is different to the actual aircraft reg you have in your external livery. You need to correct this every time you install a new livery.

I'm looking directly at the ini file that was downloaded with the repaint. Maybe it has been corrected recently? The Air France has not though.

All the European airlines should have C as the default temperature and Kg as their weight.

I'm starting to think the problem is on your end here... I have no problems whatsoever with this part. Pretty much every European company I have tested, has C and kg as standard.

This appears just fine for me, no clue why you aren't seeing this.. Are you sure it isn't a bug with the operations centre?

They do, however, have supernumerary signs, which is what should be appearing on your overhead.. Hmm..

No freighter has cabin signs installed from the factory.

The freighter has supernumerary signs as mentioned above. On the overhead you should see the SEAT BELT sign with OFF/AUTO/ON

If you are in the main cargo deck the sidewall lights flash for several seconds. In the crew rest area you have the normal pax signs.

Rob Prest

So a useless off topic post attacking a topic you don't agree with. Thanks for adding to the discussion about advertised airline specific options configurations by PMDG.

It was a joke.  Besides, he's wrong.  The tray table latches turn both ways.  :)

Looks like IFRking has given you a good answer.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Don't some of the freighters have passenger seats for crews, either cargo attendants or repositioning crew members sitting behind the cockpit, like in Tom Hanks' movie?

All modern freighters do.. for dead heading crew & livestock require handlers. You have the jump seats on the flight deck, crew rest bunks & a small cabin behind the flight deck with business class seats.

The seatbelt signs display in those areas along with the main deck flashing lights

Rob Prest

This is probably related to the thing where selecting a new startup state (ie, I have an "APU running" state, a "On ground power" state and a "Engines running ready to takeoff" state that I have saved) will sometimes only half-load the state, and you have to manually load it again.

For instance, my default is the On ground power state, IRS not alligned, etc... Sometimes I want to jump from that directly to "Engines running IRS alligned" state, so I go into the FMC menu, and select that state. 

The 777 countdown timer starts and the aircraft comes to life, IRS is alligned, and suddenly the right side of the cockpit goes dark and one FMC shuts down because the engines aren't going (they are slowly coming to life, but obviously Generator didn't kick in).

I have to wait for the timer to hit 0, then reload the same state a second time to get it to work.

As IFRking stated, when you select a new livery, sometimes the Cockpit features of the new livery don't swap over, and you have to manually select them. So you might be flying A6-FFE with A6-FFE placards, but the FMC (and Avionics) Still think you are flying N772DG or somehthing. This may also be why you sometimes have door 2L disarmed when flying the freighter (which doesn't even have a door 2L).

Just be very aware of detail when starting with a new livery or switching states. Sometimes you have to go into the FMC options and bat it around the head a bit to make the options you want. Sometimes selecting the aircraft you want from the front screen of FSX isn't enough.

Also, check to ensure the livery is listed with that little sign that shows that it's an accurate config, otherwise, I think it was left at the PMDG default.

Kyle Rodgers