Sign in to follow this  
Boeing or not going

Cloud depiction over Atlantic ocean very poor

I've been flying across the Atlantic more with ASN than AS2012, but ASN does not seem to depict storms in the Atlantic ocean. Right now is a huge storm west of the British Isles and a large cloud front but as I approach Europe from the west in FSX I only see scattered clouds. Winds are correct but cloud cover is not. Looking at the map for ASN there are no clouds on the radar except near land. Is it possible to expand coverage more over the ocean?

http://www.sat24.com/?culture=en

Does AS2012 or any other weather engine depict the oceanic clouds properly?  I've found that AS2012 does some good stuff with cloud depictions where there are no weather stations.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Yes I believe the Atlantic was more realistic with AS2012. I did many crossings wtih all different types of clouds. Right now it's supposed to be a huge blanket of clouds all over Europe to west of Ireland.

http://www.sat24.com/?culture=en

But in FSX I see nothing but clear skies and a few scattered clouds above the ocean until 90-100 miles away from Ireland heading east then the real cloud cover appears.

Yes I believe the Atlantic was more realistic with AS2012.

I suspect the "sparse station" effects in AS2012 are still better than what ASN gives us.  But that will probably change.  ASN is using other sources besides METARs to determine the weather and calculating it on their servers, then feeding it to the pseudo-stations in ASN (according to Hifi somewhere, at least that's what I think I read). 

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;