Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

Changing Image Posting Rules - User Poll

We are thinking about changing the image posting rules. Please read and provide us your opinion. 

First, a great contributor to the AVSIM processor load is resizing and display of hosted images; that is, for images that are saved and displayed by our system here. Images hosted elsewhere are also resized to  in order to fit our rules of display size. 

Second, the availability of free storage space on the Internet has become easily accessible to everyone. Examples are Dropbox, Google drive, personal sites that allow you to host images (like Google's Picasa albums, etc.).

Here is what we are considering:

• AVSIM's screenshot forum becomes "hosted elsewhere" only. We shut down all upload rights to the SS form, Real Aviation photos etc. The only images allowed there will be those that are hosted elsewhere.
  • Images that show examples of issues and which meet our size requirements and are appropriate for the other forums will be allowed to be uploaded in the other forums.
  • In those forums where hosting is required, we would allow as many images as the poster would like to put in the topic.

Again, we are just thinking about this change. How do you feel about this step?

This post has been promoted to an article

My feelings are NO PLEASE DON'T as the saying goes "if it aint broke, fix it till it is".

Phil

I think it's a pretty good idea. Image hosting takes up a lot of server resources, bandwith, etc. I can understand people's reluctance to make a change which will involve creating an account for image hosting, uploading it and finally posting on AVSIM, but if it helps reduce workload on the servers it's well worth it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dana Palmer

KJAC

I'd prefer for it to be on an external site tbh, especially if it reduces the load on the servers significantly. 

I also like the idea of being allowed to post as many images as you'd like. That would make compiling a trip report loads of fun! (I'm putting one together sooner or later..)

Aamir Thacker

I don't recall actually attaching any images to any posts of mine here to solely be supported by AvSim. Usually I use an external site to link images here, like image shack.

For example:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/405850-quick-little-tutorial-for-those-in-trouble-with-vnav-descents/#entry2651520

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/431403-lgir-star-help/?p=2899818

It's really easy to do, and if I remember I tried to make my images still met the TOS as they are. I understand they still probably eat up some space. As long as something like this is still possible, I have no argument.

As for the screenshot forum, it's a cool place. It's always great to see what others are doing and to take joy in what they share. Hosting elsewhere has become easier and easier. Many sites will allow multiple gigs of uploads for free, with a simple registration. As far as I have seen, sites like image shack have not given me any additional spam e-mails due to just registering.

My vote, if it loosens the load, makes your lives easier, makes our experience here faster, and still allows us users to share/help/support whenever we please, seriously why not?

I'm all for external linking - it unloads the Forum server and is just easier to manage.

Also, if there are complicated forum size/weight/number rules, every now and then a new Mod comes along, misinterprets them, and tosses you off! :)

I used to use Photobucket before it became an absolute dog to link out of, currently use Imageshack which is brilliant. 

Nice to have all the pics in one place, too, for later reference.

+1 for the external linking.

The last few times I uploaded pictures here, I always used an external image host, and that works so easy and comforatble - actually, I think it's even faster for me tp upload the pictures to Tinypic than directly to AVSIM! And if it reduces AVSIM's loads, that's even better.

I am not in favour of the proposed change. I don't like creating more internet identities than I really need.

But I will not complain too much if it gets changed. After all, your services are free - we cannot ask for too much for that kind of money.

Thank you for asking for feedback. Appreciated.

Greetings to the AVSIM team from Vancouver Canada.

I actually prefer to just link images (to my own web site) using the "link" feature rather than a frame to display the actual linked image.  But others have suggested they prefer to see the actual images in the thread message rather than a link to the image.  To me, a thread is more readable with just the link, no image frame.

It makes no difference to me ... most of the time I'm making images and video for other's to benefit (either positively or negatively). I don't do it for myself unless I'm trying to show a specific problem I'm having where a picture is worth a 1000 words.  I certainly have no revenue generating process associated with any of my images or videos -- just the opposite -- it costs me money to do so (my own site is $200/yr) and my ISP will charge me extra if I exceed my bandwidth limits for the month (which I usually do given my work and type of hobbies I have).  But I'm ok with that, it's the cost of sharing one's hobbies.

I don't think re-sizing of images is handle on the server side, that's normally handle by one's client (IE, Chrome, Safari) and the hosted web site housing the image should be the one sending the data directly to the client ... so I'd be very surprised if showing images (that are hosted elsewhere) in a thread would have much impact on your server load.

What I have noticed at AVSIM is the mouse over (mouseover, mouseout, etc.) event on a members name ... your server has to work (and I can see the "..." green processing tab appear) to bring up the details (Group, Active posts, Member since, etc. etc.).  Whenever I do this for anyone who isn't "cached" on my side, it forces the server to gather information about the user.  If people regularly clear their cache, or just move their cursor out of the way and don't realize their mouse is hovering of a members name (because they're reading thread content) which has triggered server side code.  Client side mouse events that are bound to server side processing can introduce high loads ... even more so when that event is tied to gathering data from a database.

I don't know the features of this forum, but if you have an option to turn OFF mouseover on user's, I would.

My 2 cents.

Rob.

Go right ahead. It will slow down some of the serial image posters, many of which are quite mundane, and make them think more than once whether it is worth the effort.

I've always used external hosting; Photobucket ( before they decided they knew what I wanted better than I did ) and now Imgur. Perfectly happy if thats going to be a new requirement here. :)

One thing however, Tom - can you please incorporate automatic image resizing here, so that the picture is displayed up to and including the maximum permitted size in the post, but can be clicked on to show at the original, bigger size if so desired ? Highslide is a good bit of software that accomplishes this.

http://shop.highsoft.com/highslide.html

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

I would leave it as it is and maybe make some changes for the good

How can you leave it as it is and make changes?

I'm fine with the changes.   I'm especially happy to see the image count limit removed on the SS forum!

I never upload images to forums, i always host them elsewhere (appropriate sites or even Facebook - Yeah it's useful for something) so to me it makes no difference. Just do the best for the forum's health and speed.

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11