Sign in to follow this  
tonywob

Introducing World2XPlane...

Well the application itself will generate scenery for any area in OSM with good enough data, so the application itself isn't Europe only. There are a number of reasons why I myself am focusing on Europe with the 3D models, and this is because:

a) I live here, and have lived in a few European Countries, and really don't like the US style buildings inside X-Plane and thought we needed something that looked better for European countries.

b) The OSM data in Europe is by far the best anywhere. Just compare the size of the OSM files for Europe, compared with the US/Asia or Australia for example. That being said, other places around the world are developing fast, but there is still some way to go before it is at the level of mapping in Germany or the Netherlands, etc..

However, as I've said before, the scenery library is open to anyone to create buildings for anywhere in the world. The application knows which country it is generating scenery in, and can show buildings for that area. At the moment in the library, we have Swiss, German, Polish and UK buildings. So anyone is welcome to start creating buildings for the library, and they will be included.

Also, the application will be called "World2XPlane" ;-).

• Upvote 3

Tony why not release the Beta stage to the community ? Maybe we all can test it.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Tony why not release the Beta stage to the community ? Maybe we all can test it.

I've done this before and regret it. I authored the Grand Theft Auto San Andreas map editor a few years back, and wished I'd limited the testing just to a few people as the program changed directions so many times due to complaints, requests etc, you'll just need to trust me on this ;). if you're interesting in testing, then please let me know.

A couple of screenshots generated in the Netherlands around Amsterdam. This is an incredibly detailed area inside OSM, and the results show in World2XPlane. People have mapped forest types, and correctly tagged landuse, forest types and even the height of almost every building. This just shows the potential of using OSM data inside X-Plane

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Upvote 6

Looks excellent Tony, especially that last pic. Good job sir!

• Upvote 1

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Looks great Tony.  I am also awaiting news on a pdf for instruction.  I have been doing a bit of trial and error in sketchup and gimp as i have time.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

I've done this before and regret it. I authored the Grand Theft Auto San Andreas map editor a few years back, and wished I'd limited the testing just to a few people as the program changed directions so many times due to complaints, requests etc, you'll just need to trust me on this ;). if you're interesting in testing, then please let me know.

I don't mind testing it, but I am not a programmer so I won't know the technicalities involved. And I fly a lot in Amsterdam Schiphol to Seppe usually. 

Edited by ironmaiden

no news on pdf?

I'm just one person, so please bare with me. People who want to model will probably need the program anyway (to concentrate on a small area), so let me get this out first, and then I'll work on the PDF. Once it's out, I'll get stuck back into doing models as well, and hopefully more people will get involved. 

I don't mind testing it, but I am not a programmer so I won't know the technicalities involved. And I fly a lot in Amsterdam Schiphol to Seppe usually. 

Which is why I'm originally just limiting the alpha testing to scenery developers or people familiar with OSM and how X-Plane scenery works, as such people can comment best and find bugs. If you understand how to add and order scenery in X-Plane, and how to verify missing data or bugs by checking/editing OSM, then please let me know :-)

Everyone will get the program, but as I've said before, I'd imagine most simmers will just want to download scenery created with it, rather than bother theirselves. 

Which is why I'm originally just limiting the alpha testing to scenery developers or people familiar with OSM and how X-Plane scenery works, as such people can comment best and find bugs. If you understand how to add and order scenery in X-Plane, and how to verify missing data or bugs by checking/editing OSM, then please let me know :-)

Everyone will get the program, but as I've said before, I'd imagine most simmers will just want to download scenery created with it, rather than bother theirselves. 

Okie.  

no news on pdf?

I've started work on the PDF available here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bstxz72jdsdssuw/SimpleBuildings.pdf

However, towards the end Sketchup crashed, and I lost the building, so I had to start again. I'm increasingly finding Sketchup incredibly frustrating to use and quite unstable, e.g. it wouldn't pick up my texture, even when I changed it, and also it's really diificult to make precise changes, e.g. It would be nice to be able to move something with the arrow keys.

Patience will get there it may take time as things like this do, but it will make autogen in FSX obsolete in time. Keep up good work Tony.

Some more regional buildings have been added into the library, 

2 For the Netherlands and Western Germany

Screen_Shot_2014_02_23_at_23_10_07.png

Screen_Shot_2014_02_23_at_23_10_27.png

And one for Austria. Thank you to Christoph for providing the Austrian building textures.

Screen_Shot_2014_02_23_at_23_00_29.png

• Upvote 3

Tony,

This is not related to your project but i am not sure whom to ask. I need to remove certain default buildings from KSEA (Seattle International) there is group of buildings at runway 16 L / C / R, which should not be there. Can you help ?