Sign in to follow this  
Murmur

Experimenting with the clouds.

Using modified cloud textures and modified cloud datarefs.

5uCeUyN.png

IDubEF4.png

dxALsLp.png

EPQZSd4.png

ZLJ3fIP.png

JRrO1De.png

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Great screenshots! We need an easy tool for tweaking those datarefs besides that dataref editor.

Alexander Colka

Very nice pictures! But my problem with default clouds was that they sometimes looked very much like clouds, but most often didn't.

You are showing them in their Sunday best. :-)

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Woah, those are some nice screens indeed! Way to show off X-Plane's default(-ish) clouds! Personally, I definitely prefer SkyMaxx Pro's 3D approach to cloud rendering, but in its current state it doesn't seem to do as good of a job of rendering complex cloud formations, fronts, etc. as the default engine. Hope this gets improved soon.

But that's a topic for another thread. Lookin' good, Murmur!

Using modified cloud textures and modified cloud datarefs.

What exactly does "modified cloud datarefs" mean?

What exactly does "modified cloud datarefs" mean?

I increased the "clouds/plot_radius" dataref from 1 to 3.5, while leaving the cloud density to minimum (10%). This has the positive effect that the borders between the different cloud textures LODS are less visible:

nEmEoAY.jpg

eYomFFc.jpg

I also modified a little the ambient and direct light exposure of clouds.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

I increased the "clouds/plot_radius" dataref from 1 to 3.5, while leaving the cloud density to minimum (10%). This has the positive effect that the borders between the different cloud textures LODS are less visible:

I also modified a little the ambient and direct light exposure of clouds.

How did you do that? Is there some plugin or coding involved?

How did you do that? Is there some plugin or coding involved?

It's very easy, just download and install (in the "Resources/plugins" folder) the DataRefEditor ( http://www.xsquawkbox.net/xpsdk/mediawiki/DataRefEditor ), when running X-Plane select the menu "plugins"->"Data Ref Editor"->"Show Art Controls" and change the value named "Clouds/plot_radius".

Unfortunately, every time you exit X-Plane all the values will return to their default values.

I cannot even imagine what a professional 3PD could achieve with such an engine...

It's very easy, just download and install (in the "Resources/plugins" folder) the DataRefEditor ( http://www.xsquawkbox.net/xpsdk/mediawiki/DataRefEditor ), when running X-Plane select the menu "plugins"->"Data Ref Editor"->"Show Art Controls" and change the value named "Clouds/plot_radius".

Unfortunately, every time you exit X-Plane all the values will return to their default values.

Cool - thanks for the info. I will definitely give it a try :smile:.

I cannot even imagine what a professional 3PD could achieve with such an engine...

BetiX might give some hints..... :-)

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5