Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Thinking of doing a second attempt switching from DX9->DX10

Downloading now. I have a feeling, I'll be very happy. :lol:

Sounds great and I'm really looking forward to both see and hear what textures you'll end up using :smile: !!

Richard Åsberg

Hi Jose, just wanted to ask if you had the time and chance to play around with the REX4 textures in DX10 yet?

Very interested to hear about the result!

Richard Åsberg

Just tried out the AS2012 wave effects again and I think this time it looks really good! I went back using the very same AS2012 waves I used DX9 called Aqua.

When I first switched to DX10 from DX9 this wave effect didn't look good at all and same problem with the water itself which looked "painted" with no whitecaps and no movements at all. Not sure why it looks so much better this time but maybe because I forgot to clear the shader cache last time.

Here's a short clip showing this water and waves "in action" :smile:

Richard Åsberg

Hi Jose, just wanted to ask if you had the time and chance to play around with the REX4 textures in DX10 yet?

Very interested to hear about the result!

I like the textures very much. I deleted OD and now use Essentials + Rex4 textures.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Maybe Paul or you guys can help me with a few queries as I am thinking of switching to DX10.

1. What airports does this work/not work with or is there a compatible list?

2. Can I revert back to dx9 easily if I wish? How would I do that?

3. Is there a guide to setting up with the Payware DX10 software?

4. Does new Rex texture program and Active Sky work with this without issues?

Thanks Wayne.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

http://fs2crew.com/banners/Banner_FS2Crew_MJC_Supporter.png

Wayne HART

Wayne, did you read any of the posts in this thread?!

Well, guys, I took the plunge tonight and bought Steve's FIxer.  Followed Paul's instructions (thanks again so much, Paul!), and I can't believe I waited so long!  Wow!!  Lovin' those cockpit shadows, and everything is so SMOOTH!  I don't know if I've gained any FPS or not, because I lock at 30, but I switched to the nVidia 1/2 refresh method to lock at 30 also, and my flights in DX10 so far have stayed right at that 30.  Right at it (which wasn't the case before).  And SMOOTH!!!

Really, I'm quite pleased.

Now to add in some REX sky and cloud textures and perhaps SweetFX again.

One question, though.  I don't have water that looks like the video above.  In fact, I couldn't see any wave action at all.  I set the wind to 16 kts manually as well, and it didn't seem to make a difference.  I reverted to my backed up settings in REX4 before installing DX10.  But now I'm worried I didn't actually reinstall default textures in REXE before uninstalling it and installing REX4.  I wonder if REX4 backed up my REXE textures as default!!  I don't suppose there's anyway to get the default textures back short of reinstalling FSX (which I'm not willing to do).  Anyone have a set of default water textures lying around?  

Does DX10 animation and white caps not work with REX4 textures and animation?  Any ideas how to get the great looking water I've seen in several videos lately with DX10 animation?

Otherwise, couldn't be happier so far.  

I like the textures very much. I deleted OD and now use Essentials + Rex4 textures.

That's great :smile:

Did you find a good looking sun texture that won't look strange depending on what angle and zoom level you look at it? And what water and waves are you running now?

As you can see in my last post I found some water and waves looking really good using AS2012 textures and wave effects and the sun is pretty good too using the free nick1_sunfix freeware texture with some modifications suggested by Steve.

Maybe Paul or you guys can help me with a few queries as I am thinking of switching to DX10.

1. What airports does this work/not work with or is there a compatible list?

2. Can I revert back to dx9 easily if I wish? How would I do that?

3. Is there a guide to setting up with the Payware DX10 software?

4. Does new Rex texture program and Active Sky work with this without issues?

Thanks Wayne.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Like someone else said I think you should be able to find the answers to most of your question simply by looking through this thread but I'll try to quickly answer your questions.

1. In my experience 99% of the airports work perfectly with the fixer. I don't think there's a compatibility list.

2. Yes, there's an option in the fixer that will allow you to switch between DX9 and DX10

3. Yes, check Paul's signature which have great links for setting DX10 up correctly

4. Haven't tried REX but AS2012 with the exception of sun textures works just fine, see my video above

One question, though.  I don't have water that looks like the video above.  In fact, I couldn't see any wave action at all.

I had the same problem initially but now I have both great looking water and wave effects and I think the problem might have been that I didn't clear the FSX shader cache so make sure you do that and then install the water textures and wave effects again and also make sure to have the water shader enabled in the fixer tool.

Richard Åsberg

Well, guys, I took the plunge tonight and bought Steve's FIxer. 

[...]

Does DX10 animation and white caps not work with REX4 textures and animation?  Any ideas how to get the great looking water I've seen in several videos lately with DX10 animation?

Just one small note on the water as it was also discussed here a bit in this very interesting thread.

For those who have Rex Essential and now Rex4, I found it quite interesting to combine the various textures/settings of both.

One example:

I for instance set the darkness/contrast/brightness of the watercolours in the Rex Essential Interface and load them, and then use the wave-textures from Rex4 which i like best and load them into the sim ... this works with all Rex textures ans so it is some sort of combining the best of all Rex textures so to speak.

Nothing new maybe and only making sense for those who have all these Rex programms, i am aware of that - but - as this really offers a great spectrum and almost endless possibilities, i just thought it worth mentioning.

Not to forget though:

The DX10 option needs to be in use in both cases - at RexEss and Rex4.

PS.: Sadly not having a set of default water textures at hand to share anymore ...

That's great :smile:

Did you find a good looking sun texture that won't look strange depending on what angle and zoom level you look at it? And what water and waves are you running now?

As you can see in my last post I found some water and waves looking really good using AS2012 textures and wave effects and the sun is pretty good too using the free nick1_sunfix freeware texture with some modifications suggested by Steve.

Like someone else said I think you should be able to find the answers to most of your question simply by looking through this thread but I'll try to quickly answer your questions.

1. In my experience 99% of the airports work perfectly with the fixer. I don't think there's a compatibility list.

2. Yes, there's an option in the fixer that will allow you to switch between DX9 and DX10

3. Yes, check Paul's signature which have great links for setting DX10 up correctly

4. Haven't tried REX but AS2012 with the exception of sun textures works just fine, see my video above

I had the same problem initially but now I have both great looking water and wave effects and I think the problem might have been that I didn't clear the FSX shader cache so make sure you do that and then install the water textures and wave effects again and also make sure to have the water shader enabled in the fixer tool.

Those Aqua waves in the video look awesome. I think I'm using Rex4's Distant Caps.

I'm not thrilled with the REX4's sun. They are too small and not instense enough. I can make the sun bigger, but I would like to see the intense blinding effect I got in FS9 (2004). When you looked into the sun, you had to look away. I'm looking for something similar.

Well, guys, I took the plunge tonight and bought Steve's FIxer.  Followed Paul's instructions (thanks again so much, Paul!), and I can't believe I waited so long!  Wow!!  Lovin' those cockpit shadows, and everything is so SMOOTH!  I don't know if I've gained any FPS or not, because I lock at 30, but I switched to the nVidia 1/2 refresh method to lock at 30 also, and my flights in DX10 so far have stayed right at that 30.  Right at it (which wasn't the case before).  And SMOOTH!!!

Really, I'm quite pleased.

Now to add in some REX sky and cloud textures and perhaps SweetFX again.

One question, though.  I don't have water that looks like the video above.  In fact, I couldn't see any wave action at all.  I set the wind to 16 kts manually as well, and it didn't seem to make a difference.  I reverted to my backed up settings in REX4 before installing DX10.  But now I'm worried I didn't actually reinstall default textures in REXE before uninstalling it and installing REX4.  I wonder if REX4 backed up my REXE textures as default!!  I don't suppose there's anyway to get the default textures back short of reinstalling FSX (which I'm not willing to do).  Anyone have a set of default water textures lying around?  

If you did not delete the original folder, you will find the original texture back up in REX Essential Plus/Themes/Backup. The (Initial_Backup) folder should not have been deleted by uninstall. You have to delete it manually. If you did delete it, PM me.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Those Aqua waves in the video look awesome. I think I'm using Rex4's Distant Caps.

I'm not thrilled with the REX4's sun. They are too small and not instense enough. I can make the sun bigger, but I would like to see the intense blinding effect I got in FS9 (2004). When you looked into the sun, you had to look away. I'm looking for something similar.

Yes, I'm very happy with the A2012 Aqua waves and also the darker water textures you can choose from in AS2012. Interesting the result was so bad first time I tried the exact same textures and waves but must have been due to me forgetting to clear the shader cache or something as I mentioned above.

As for the sun did you try the free sun I'm using called Nicks Sunfix? I think that one is really good and better than both the default FSX sun as well as other alternatives I've tried. Especially with the modification Steve suggested which almost solved the DX10 issue.

Richard Åsberg

I'm not sure what deleting the shader cache means, or what it means to say the DX10 option needs to be "in use." I have the water shaders enabled in the Fixer GUI. It built DX10 shaders on my install of the Fixer. But I did try DX10 once before installing the fixer. Maybe that instance built some DX10 shaders I need to delete? Are there instructions for how to do so that I missed somewhere?

Sadly, I manually deleted the essentials folder. But I'll check my backup drives. If I don't find anything, I'll pm. Thanks Jose.

DX10 option needs to be "in use."

Sorry Griphos for not having been expressing things more precisely.

I was referring to the DX10 "options" enabled/set at the REX user interface/"Options-window", before the textures are being selected and installed.

Ah, I forgot about those settings, having never used them. I'll give that a try.

I'm not sure what deleting the shader cache means

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=delete+shader+cache+fsx

Check out the first hit which tells you in detail how to clear/delete the shader cache.

However I'm not positive this will fix your issue, only me guessing since I had the same kind of problem myself first time but not the second and the only difference I can think of is I made sure to clear the FSX shader cache the second time.

I will keep my fingers crossed you manage to fix the problem because having water and waves looking as in the video I posted above has really improved the general enjoyment of FSX!

Richard Åsberg

Is it safe to just delete the DX10 shader cache when using the Fixer? Won't the new shaders generated be the default dx10 shaders and not the fixer' shaders? That's why I asked here instead of just googling. I've not found googling to give very productive or up to date answers for things that are as recent and changing as this dx10 fixer stuff.

I hope so too, since I'm a FSX water nut! I almost always fly over coastal areas.