What's the difference between the two sets here apart from the LCD panel on the yoke? In the UK the pricing is all over the shot! Some sites have the Pro Flight cheaper and others the Cessna version cheaper....

Thanks

J

Jason Jackett

Cessna is officially licensed. and it roattes a full 180 degrees. Thats all I can tell you.

I personally have the cessna :)

Not sure what kind of rig you are using, but be aware that with Windows 8 there are currently many users experiencing problems with using the Saitek Pro Flight Yoke, including myself. There are some fixes, and Saitek is possibly working on a fix at well. On the other hand, it works great with other flying games (it seems it is a FSX exclusive issue) and with Windows 7 there are no problems whatsoever.

That being said, I have been using the Saitek Yoke for a couple of months and i really enjoy it. It has a great flying experience, especially coming from a Logitech 3d pro and the Saitek x52.

Advantage

- More buttons than Cessna

- Of course the chronometer with buttons (which are not programmable)

- Not paying for brand name

- Quality is the same as far as I could find online

Disadvantages

- The middle (deadzone) for some people is problematic and become a tad unresponsive

- The W8 problem

- Saitek has great and easy programmable program (but that applies for both)

- 45 degrees less turning than cessna

I hope this is some new information for you or at least helps you a bit :)

Many thanks Ircghost, really really useful.

I'm using windows 7 so I guess that avoids a lot of the potential issues with either set, although it would be nice if I could use 8.1 or the next great thing sometime in the future! The Cessna version is £99 here vs the pro Flight at least £140, so I am not sure if it's worth paying that much more for it. I certainly don't feel the need for the lcd panel.

JJ

Jason Jackett

Gotta be careful referring to these two yokes.  BOTH have Pro Flight in their names.  I physically compared both at a Fry's store in southern California and felt the Pro Flight Cessna Yoke was better built.  The lack of timer is easily remedied with a better, more functional timer and a yoke mount for the timer (see in photo below). Requires a small bit of velcro as well.  I got both pieces from Sporty's Pilot Shop.  The timer also has a built in light.

SaitekMulti-L.jpg

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Just wanted to say thanks for the response and advice on this thread. I have the Cessna yoke arriving tomorrow, fingers crossed!

Jason Jackett

I believe you will like it.  It has a very good feel to it and it mounts sturdily.  Enjoy.  Depending on whether you add any panels to it you may want to consider two add-in programs, FSUIPC (registered) and SPAD.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Well it's actually arrived this morning. That was the good news.

The bad news is that it's not the Cessna but the Pro Flight version....now I'm not too fussed to be honest so I think I'll accept it as is. They were pretty much the same price here anyway.....

Any tips on initial set-up? I don't have FSUIPC (registered) yet, so that would perhaps be a good idea. I understand that I can have profiles set for individual aircraft? I mainly fly the PMDG737NGX and AS A320, and every now and then the Lancair Legacy.

Jason Jackett

Hmm that is a weird mess up.. You should always install FSUIPC since it makes the came so much more stable anyway. You can indeed setup different profiles for just about anything you want (heck I even use my saitek pro for ETS2 haha). 

It needs some getting used to but one you know what you are doing it is extremely easy. One major tip is; don't assign any keys in FSX/P3D etc except for the thrusters axes. Assign the buttons on the joystick to a random key (such as decimal for brake) through the saitek editor program.

I can send you my practically finished legacy file for the Saitek pro somewhere this week if you want to. I'm still working on my NGX profile though, since I just recently started flying that one with my joystick. I do have a nearly finished J4100 profile as well. 

Watch some tutorials on Youtube and mess around a bit, you will soon get the hang of the program (or download a profile and see how they do it .. kind of simple reverse engineering)

The bad news is that it's not the Cessna but the Pro Flight version....now I'm not too fussed to be honest so I think I'll accept it as is.

I'd challenge the supplier to make it right.  The Cessna Pro Flight is a more recent product in terms of development and in the side by side look I took at a store before buying the Cessna version seemed better built.  For the same price you should get satisfaction.  Have them pay for return shipping.  They should.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

I'd challenge the supplier to make it right.  The Cessna Pro Flight is a more recent product in terms of development and in the side by side look I took at a store before buying the Cessna version seemed better built.  For the same price you should get satisfaction.  Have them pay for return shipping.  They should.

I understand but I'm not too worried personally and decided to use it. Must say that realism does kick up a few notches, which I really wasn't expecting, so I'm very pleased.

Haven't bought FUISPC yet or installed the Saitek software and it's working well in all of my aircraft with a few tweaks to the FSX controls. I would like the reversers to work however....haven't quite figured that out yet.

Jason Jackett

I would like the reversers to work however....haven't quite figured that out yet.

Do a web search for FSX Saitek thrust reverse and then parse through the results for YouTube videos.  Bet you will find help.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

Do a web search for FSX Saitek thrust reverse and then parse through the results for YouTube videos.  Bet you will find help.

Thank you. Got that sorted now.

Jason Jackett

Agreed.  I've owned both yokes and can vouch that the Cessna yoke is better built and feels waaay better. 

For those who have Saitek yokes of any kind, my DIY might be of interest:

https://picasaweb.google.com/106882381459656258441/SaitekYokeClampsBrackets?authuser=0&feat=directlink