Sign in to follow this  
HughesMDflyer4

An Interesting Future for Outerra

At J van E:

Here ya' go. about 300FPS at default except for tree threshold maxed on my humble Nvidia 770. Methinks they have some room to maneuver!

screen_1406169517_zpsa0213e94.jpg

About 160FPS "Down in the weeds"

screen_1406170223_zps70005ce4.jpg

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

At J van E:

Here ya' go. about 300FPS at default except for tree threshold maxed on my humble Nvidia 770. Methinks they have some room to maneuver!

Thanks! Yes, that's some room to maneuver indeed.  ^_^ However, the VC doesn't work yet, nothing is clickable, there are no cities yet, no towns, industries, infrastructure (and all that in the correct location, of course!), no AI, no weather, no season, no real time changes, no ground (object) shadows (if I am not mistaken) and all the world looks the same, etc. etc. etc. so by the time that has all been added (if ever) fps will have crumbled to the usual low, I am afraid... :rolleyes:

All in all I am keeping an eye on this one and I may buy it just for fun but I don't expect a full blown flightsim anytime soon...

Yes, but also terrain shadows. After seeing those screenshots with terrain shadows and tree shadows I had the impression those were new options. Apparently objects can already cast shadows...?

Yes, but also terrain shadows. After seeing those screenshots with terrain shadows and tree shadows I had the impression those were new options. Apparently objects can already cast shadows...?

Yep, objects/vehicles can already cast shadows on themselves and on the terrain as well. Terrain self-shadowing and tree shadows are not released yet.

Thanks! Yes, that's some room to maneuver indeed.  ^_^ However, the VC doesn't work yet, nothing is clickable, there are no cities yet, no towns, industries, infrastructure (and all that in the correct location, of course!), no AI, no weather, no season, no real time changes, no ground (object) shadows (if I am not mistaken) and all the world looks the same, etc. etc. etc. so by the time that has all been added (if ever) fps will have crumbled to the usual low, I am afraid... :rolleyes:

All in all I am keeping an eye on this one and I may buy it just for fun but I don't expect a full blown flightsim anytime soon...

Fair enough but I think you are missing a few points, though. One of the things that's important to remember is that it simply doesn't work like FSX X-plane etc. As a procedural environment, Its a completely different animal, and using previous expectations is missing some important distinctions.

One of those differences is that the world of Outerra is programmable. You mentioned seasons, but the fact is that snow cover is not only available, but can be changed by modifying a simple parameter that easily alters the landscape from partial to full snow cover and anything in between. In fact, a forum member here has already demonstrated full seasonal variation, and biomes, water and clouds are current priorities.

The Outera engine even at this stage takes advantage of current hardware in ways our familiar sims cant match. Running primarily on the GPU rather than the CPU means that the CPU is freed up much more than FSX (for instance) to run other things like AI, weather and etc.

Even now, the engine, while procedural, can also integrate vector-data that lets it overlay roads, waterways and etc, and OSM integration similar to X-plane is currently being worked on. The Outerra world might get filled in faster than you expect. Outerra is also using not one, but two separate physics engines. JSBSim for flight dynamics modeling (The same engine used in Flightgear) and Bullet Physics for vehicles and objects. Outerra is also capable of using other libraries as well. (weather?)

Given the way the program actually works, I'm much more optimistic about frame rates than you are. Outerra just doesn't allocate resources the same way current sims do!

http://outerra.blogspot.com/2014/02/2013-retrospective-2014-look-ahead.html

A quote from the developers.

A clickable cockpit is certainly doable, we just need to provide some helpers for scripts that will allow you to define clickable elements in the cockpit, and then providing the click events that can be handled in the aircraft script.

For aircraft systems simulation we plan to use a component system based on what we are already using internally, that allows to define components that are either implemented in C++ plugins, or scripted in JS.

Actually, the goal is to use all this for a prototype aircraft for the demo that can be used for Kickstarter simulator campaign, and we are looking at how this can/should be done.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

using previous expectations is missing some important distinctions

Thanks for making that perfectly clear!  ^_^ Now I will keep a even closer eye on Outerra!

At HiFlyer:

Just wanted to drop a note of thanks for all your efforts at keeping this community updated with progress on Outerra.  Love your screenshots :smile:

Always remember to Find Your FUN!

-Bob

Ground scenery shadows are there already. Also, since the roads are actually part of the terrain, I can guarantee that there`s not going to be a bigger drop than 2 Fps! :D 

HiFlyer:

Can you recheck your performance with a metric ton of clouds? :)

Not yet! Although I think they won`t release anything until it performs well. Performance is one of the top priorities in Outerra and the result of following such a strategy is already visible!

HiFlyer:

Hmm, a cubic metre of air at sea level has a mass of 1.225 kg. Clouds float at a fixed height, so they must have roughly the same density as the air. That means a metric ton of clouds is about 1,000 m^3 at sea level, or in other words, the amount of cloud that fits in 10x10x10 metres... not really that much actually ;)

This has been your nerd post of the day... please continue business as usual.

HiFlyer:

If there is one part of Outerra that had me a bit concerned, it was volumetric clouds. The most efficient Cloud engine I know of, SilverLining/Skymaxx, is amazingly lightweight for all the things that it does, and for my money, it outperformed X-planes built-in solution by a very wide margin. Yet there was still a significant frame-rate price to pay, and its an open question whether that price is inevitable, or whether its something particular to the way it was implemented in X-plane.

Outera specifically rejected SilverLining as not reaching certain of their goals, such as horizon to horizon and global coverage. They have their own solution in the works designed specifically for the Outerra technology, but how will it affect framerate? My take is that currently, even in a worse case scenario, Outerra has more than enough frames to spare, and in the best case, they will do something very clever and wow us all. (until we come up with the next objection)  ^_^

The best answer, I guess is that we will just have to wait and see!

In the meantime, some food for thought.

This is an Outerra city as seen by an Nvidia 640 card. The question I would ask is, what do you imagine the performance of our current sims with that level of detail (shadows, etc) on that type of card would be? (Think of Aerosoft NY for FSX)

And the second vid is of Outerra water with some WIP (Alpha and horizon to horizon) Outerra clouds in the background. 

Devons rig

Hey!  ^_^

Some useful information from Outerra forum member Acetone. http://forum.outerra.com/index.php?topic=2806.msg29397#msg29397

Outerra includes many debug tools, but they are well hidden for normal user. Some of them may be usefull for moders, others for performance monitoring and a few are just fun.
I have tried to list some of them, fell free to search for other ones  wink.gif

First, you need to go into your eng.cfg (yourname/outerra/eng.cfg).
Search for the "debug_keys" line and set the value to "true". You can now use the tools listed below :

Various tools

Alt+m and Alt+s : Occulus Rift mode
Ctrl+p : Flight path recorder
Ctrl+F4 : Recorder
Ctrl+F7 : FBX importer
Alt+F5 : Shader editor 
Alt+c : command console (not the same as "p" key)
Alt+F8 : Reload Cubemap (environnemental reflexions)
Alt+F11 : Reduce exposure (not sure why it's usefull)

Bugged/Missing

Alt+e and Alt+s : spawn cubes (not working : they are missing on the public version directory)
Ctrl+k : weird spawn menu

Terrain tools

Alt+t : disable vegetation
Alt+i : display geographic coordinates on ground texture
Alt+n : elevation map. Repeat to toggle between various modes.
Ctrl+n : display terrain grid. Repeat to toggle between various modes.

Debug monitors

Alt+1 : Render tasks stats
Alt+2 : Gpu times
Alt+3 : Textures stats
Alt+4 : Sounds monitor
Alt+5 : Tiles monitor
Alt+6 : Memory tracker
Alt+7 : Models monitor
Ctrl+F12 : Show fps

Secret hidden features wink.gif

Alt+v : basic night vision mode (warning : full green screen during day!)
Ctrl+i : basic thermal vision mode

Devons rig

From user alialiali http://forum.outerra.com/index.php?topic=2726.0

WIP Boeing 727

Animations test

Devons rig