Sign in to follow this  
James Bennett

Thinking of buying Saitek Pro Flight Yoke

I'm looking into the Saitek Pro Flight Yoke  plus 2 throttle quadrants and rudder pedals. Does anybody have these and would they recommend them? Any longevity issues? Ease of setting up?

Also what's the depth of the yoke, as in how much does it overlap on your desk when attached?

Any insight would be appreciated before I blow the best part of £300 on these things!

I've had my Saitek yoke+throttle quadrant for many years. No issues. Only limitation is the rather limited range of travel in the roll axis and a noticeable center detent.

Don't have the pedals since my CH Pro pedals from the early 00's are still going strong.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

I've had my Saitek yoke+throttle quadrant for many years. No issues. Only limitation is the rather limited range of travel in the roll axis and a noticeable center detent.

Don't have the pedals since my CH Pro pedals from the early 00's are still going strong.

Would you recommend the product or do the range of travel and center detent issues hurt the experience?

Hi James,

They increase immersion greatly, but as Jimmi said the roll axis is only 45 degrees either side of center. You can mod the yoke to remove the detents, but this will probably void the warranty. I have done it and it makes a big difference to the feel :)

Chris Warner

PMDG : JS4100, MD-11, 737 NGX (Soon!)

They don't bother me. There's more than enough travel to fly any airplane smoothly. Just something to be aware of. Their more expensive Cessna yoke has a greater range of travel in the roll axis. Coming from an old CH Yoke, the center detent did bother me at first but now I don't even think about it.

Any yoke in this price range is going to come with trade-offs.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Try the mod Jimmi, it is reversible and it makes the world of difference :)

Chris Warner

PMDG : JS4100, MD-11, 737 NGX (Soon!)

The lack of movement shouldn't be a huge issue, surely? You rarely use full motions in roll unless flying aerobatics, and then it'd be better to have a joystick! I've only used a yoke briefly and it was okay, but I'm a stick man (in real and virtual life). For the money, saitek products tend to be, so I've found, good quality and reliable.

Ian

I had the pro flight yoke for a couple of years but had to repair it a few times after performing the mod mentioned above. The roll axis would stress the plastic linkage and crack it in half rendering the ailerons inop. I decided to go with the Cessna yoke for my replacement and am happy I did. The roll axis deflection is a full 90° left and right as well as a completely different design for the roll that consists of a series of cogs to allow for the extra deflection. I performed the mod once again for the pitch axis and the only centering that it has now is for the roll and I am content with that. Otherwise the overall feel of the yoke is sturdier than the original.

I had the pro flight yoke for a couple of years but had to repair it a few times after performing the mod mentioned above. The roll axis would stress the plastic linkage and crack it in half rendering the ailerons inop. I decided to go with the Cessna yoke for my replacement and am happy I did. The roll axis deflection is a full 90° left and right as well as a completely different design for the roll that consists of a series of cogs to allow for the extra deflection. I performed the mod once again for the pitch axis and the only centering that it has now is for the roll and I am content with that. Otherwise the overall feel of the yoke is sturdier than the original.

Do you think it broke because of the modification you did to it? Is it worth straight up going for the cessna yoke then?

James,

I do believe that the mod contributed to the damage because it removed the spring that provides some restraint from turning the yoke too far left or right. The ultimate cause was a combination of children and my dog bumping into it with themselves or my chair and stressing the link too far. If you don't have the concerns that I have in that happening feel free to purchase the original pro flight yoke since it is a little more budget friendly, but overall even with the roll axis centering still intact for my Cessna pro flight yoke I really do like it more. It could just be new to me but it feels sturdier overall.

As for the dual throttle that's a resounding yes. Just make sure you don't buy the second throttle without a USB connection (eBay or Amazon used models) and FSUIPC to program them.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Nick

I just bought and setup the Saitek Pro Flight Cessna yoke w/ trim wheel.  While it looks quite nice, appears reasonably quality built, I find the frequently complained about stickiness in yoke shaft elevator axis to be atrocious.  The unit uses a nylon bushing, it it not supposed to be lubricated, and it's really a showstopper for me.   Moreover, the button layout on the yoke I find very annoying in that their design is much harder for me to find and feel than what I am used to in the CH yoke I've had for years.   The CH yoke has no stickiness whatsoever in the elevator axis.   I do like the trim wheel but it will take a while to be able to land a plane w/ this beast.  Using the trim wheel while flying is great, but difficult to use when landing.  So there's a learning curve for sure.  I think I could cope w/ the button issue but the stickiness issue is truly awful.  I'll try it more this weekend then if I can't live w/ it back it goes to Amazon.  I'll likely keep the trim wheel.    For shear ease of use, CH beats it by a long shot as the buttons are very positive, easy to find and activate, much less so for the Saitek though some of this reaction is its newness for me.   

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I just bought and setup the Saitek Pro Flight Cessna yoke w/ trim wheel.  While it looks quite nice, appears reasonably quality built, I find the frequently complained about stickiness in yoke shaft elevator axis to be atrocious.  The unit uses a nylon bushing, it it not supposed to be lubricated, and it's really a showstopper for me.   Moreover, the button layout on the yoke I find very annoying in that their design is much harder for me to find and feel than what I am used to in the CH yoke I've had for years.   The CH yoke has no stickiness whatsoever in the elevator axis.   I do like the trim wheel but it will take a while to be able to land a plane w/ this beast.  Using the trim wheel while flying is great, but difficult to use when landing.  So there's a learning curve for sure.  I think I could cope w/ the button issue but the stickiness issue is truly awful.  I'll try it more this weekend then if I can't live w/ it back it goes to Amazon.  I'll likely keep the trim wheel.    For shear ease of use, CH beats it by a long shot as the buttons are very positive, easy to find and activate, much less so for the Saitek though some of this reaction is its newness for me.   

Nylon bushings typically have to wear in. That does sound a real pain though. I wonder why they choose to use that and not an angular roller bearing. Cost i'd imagine.

Noel

I would try the mod for the elevator axis before you give up hope. Just be aware it does take a little mechanical ability to do it and put it back in correctly. Also, cracking it open does void your warranty if you do plan to return it, so if you try it you will have to get everything back together before returning it.

Nylon bushings typically have to wear in. That does sound a real pain though. I wonder why they choose to use that and not an angular roller bearing. Cost i'd imagine.

The standard pro flight yoke has the same nylon bushings FYI. If that is a concern.

I've been using my Saitek yoke, throttles and rudder pedals for around 3 years now and been very happy with them.  The yoke could do with greasing now though.

I still use a stick for flying gliders and microlights though.

Because I have a desk with an under desk keyboard shelf, I was unable to use the clamps.  However, I stuck the yoke and throttles to the desk with pads made of duck tape and they haven't shifted in 3 years - firm as a rock.

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Ian I have the same issue with my desk. I mounted it on top first with putty for mounting posters and such but replaced it with adhesive backed velcro when I set up my Cessna yoke.