Sign in to follow this  
Murmur

Another experiment, cloud tweaking.

I did some further experiments with the cloud and their colors. In the following screenshots, the clouds have been subjected to the following tweaks:

1) increased cloud textures resolution;

2) increased cloud puffs plot radius: this produces denser clouds even at low cloud rendering settings; also, clouds are softer and a performance is a bit better;

3) closest circle of cloud puffs not drawn: this increases a bit performance and eliminates the ugly visual boundary between the two closest cloud puffs circles (a sort of a "cloud rings" effect, visible with default clouds in overcast conditions)

4) modified cloud colors: more vivid sunset glow and post-twilight blue hue; just quick-and-dirty modifications

All of this are very preliminary experiments, made in a few hours and without even modifying default textures, but I think they demonstrate the potential of the default X-Plane cloud engine. If Laminar fixes a couple of limitations (performance, clouds not moving with wind, and a couple others), IMO this engine can provide visual stunning effects in the hand of the right artist.

dYUk0kE.jpg

JRT6mjH.jpg

WIea0iB.jpg

h1tz1OO.jpg

r68EurR.jpg

JkEObb7.jpg

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Wow! I'll say it again: it's amazing what potential X-Plane has under the hood! Nice work!

Another couple shots:

5qYndV6.jpg

6qNqTuq.jpg

L61d3uL.jpg

CoMSrHm.jpg

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Bloody hell , makes me want get a new GPU 

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

And you will need one...LOL  :ph34r:

Let's hope Laminar (or maybe someone from our community) will optimize performance in some way (tweaked shaders, etc.). At least, most of us hope so... :ph34r: There are, already now, a couple of tweaks that improve somewhat performance, but further optimizations would be welcomed.

There are so many variables it boggles the mind to think what might be possible in the engine. There's a whole load of water settings as well which someone who knows what they're doing (i.e. not me) should take a look at...

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Well done Murmur; thank you for sharing these true to life screenshots of XPX.

Has anyone tested with ground shadows ? 

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Beautiful!

Those colors really pop on the retina display of my ipad air.