Sign in to follow this  
cptCaptain

Nvidia GTX770 4GB or 780 3GB?

I`m not sure which videocard is best for Xplane. The 770 with 4GB or the 780 with 3GB? Or mayby the 780ti?

X-Plane%20banner1.jpg

I would prefer getting one with more VRAM. 

But remember X plane is also heavily dependent on the CPU and more the cores the better.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Depending on the rendering settings the CPU utilization will take place. 

Trees / Objects / Traffic / Roads / LOD these are CPU bound.   

I honestly cannot comment on the the CPU you have to XPX , for FSX yes that CPU is good enough.

There is a setting for checking the CPU usage in XPX in real time. 

Go to Settings / Data Input & Output and select the first four check box you see on the left corner. 

Let the CPU be around 0.8-0.9 and not above that.

i've tested it and the CPU load ist at 0.5 to 0.8 with my favorited aircraft and over the area, i fly the most time.

X-Plane%20banner1.jpg

That's cool , but what are your rendering settings ? as I mentioned earlier - objects / tees / roads / LOD / traffic ?????

Hmm ok , the moment you increase the objects /trees /roads /traffic you see the CPU counter go up.

BTW get the best GPU with high VRAM if you can afford it. It could a future proof.

and what is the switchpanel you have made ? can you please tell me , as I am planning on using Arduino cards 

That data from the x-plane widget on the screen does not measure only the CPU load, but the combined CPU/GPU load. Instead for CPU load use coretemp and for GPU something like MSI Afterburner. You'll notice the GPU Vram is very often full, even if you are equipped with 4GB... Many of the FPS problems come from that: if the GPU VRAM is full the system bus is overloaded by data in/out managed by the CPU, that also in this case will be not really much loaded, even in complex sceneries. And so the GPU will be waiting for data from its VRAM, constantly full.

The fact is: if you do not have enough VRAM the problem stays there and you'll have to reduce the textures quality to mantain CPU and GPU at a good level of workload, otherwise all the power of this components will never be unleashed.

Sent from Mad iPhone using Tapatalk

and what is the switchpanel you have made ? can you please tell me , as I am planning on using Arduino cards 

PM :ph34r:

X-Plane%20banner1.jpg

Thanks, and MadMat is also correct

I have a 780 w/3gb and I never get anywhere near filling up the vram even running with uncompressed extreme texture setting.

Go for the extra power of the 780.

I do indeed, just click on "My PC" below my avatar to get the exact model.

I should have added that I use a single 1080p monitor; if you have multiple hi-res screens you may need more Vram.

I have a GTX770 with 2GB and it works perfectly. (see my profile) 1680x1050, nearly maxed settings and even at Klax etc. I get 30-60 fps.