Sign in to follow this  
Crotalus

Need help landing the Boeing 717-200

Hi,

I am new to Infinite Flight and I enjoy it a lot;  Alas, not only am I not a pilot in real life, I never even tried flying anything bigger than a Cessna on flight simulators, so I would need some help.  Could you please help me land a Boeing 717-200 safely?

Assuming no wind and a mid-day landing,

At what altitude, distance and speed should I begin the approach to arrive roughly at the beginning of the ILS "corridor" (the red squares) indicated on the radar?

When and how much should I engage the spoilers and flaps?

At what speed/altitude/distance should I lower the gear?

What is the correct landing speed?

Lastly, how much runway distance do I need?

Thank you in advance for any pointers!!

Kind regards,

Crotalus

Altitude was tough for me but after reading up it got a lot easier. 3 degrees is normal for an approach (and I think even for descending from cruising altitude). This is easy to calculate. Miles to go divided by 3 equals elevation above runway in thousands of feet.

For example: at 90 miles away- 30,000 feet; 30 miles away- 10,000 feet; 9 miles away- 3,000 feet; 1 mile away- 333 feet.

Also, all those horizontal lines in the heads up display are 5 degrees apart. So for quick reference (if the runway is in sight) a little lower than half way between level flight and the first line down.

Ps remember this is for elevation above runway! Be sure to add the elevation of the runway to determine desired altitude!