Sign in to follow this  
Iceman2

AI Traffic Strobe Lights Fix

Same here with 2.3. It's like the LOD for AI changes very quickly. Their strobes disappear very quickly.

Yeah, spotting AI traffic either day or night is near impossible. Night lighting as a whole is a little strange in P3D sometimes. While airborne, I don't see airport beacons...or If I do, they are steady white vs. rotating green and white (or other pattern appropriate for the airport type).  Anybody else?

Chris

I am not seeing strobe lights at all in P3D v2.3. It would be nice to see a fix for this.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I got some nice AI traffic lights working last night  so I can now see them in the distance. I did this by using the Shockwave lights (large verion) and renaming and replacing the default  fx_beacon,fx_beacon_h, fx_beacon_b fx_navred, fx_navgre,  fx_navwhite, and fx_strobe in the effects directory. example Fx_shockwave_beacon_l.fx become "fx_beacon.fx"...

Fx_shockwave_beacon_l

Large beacon, “l” stands for ‘large”.

Fx_shockwave_navgre

Shockwave green nav light. First used on Wings of POWER planes.

Fx_shockwave_navred

Shockwave red nav light. First used on Wings of POWER planes.

Fx_shockwave_strobe_l

New strobe effect – modeled after what the eye actually sees when viewing a real strobe. Large, single flash.

Good for airliners.

fx_shockwave_navwhite_l

/ Large White navigation light

I took the Shockwave files and copied it to the default fx_ file name. I used the large version of the light. The file name of shockwave notes that with and _l (ex. fx_shockwave_strobe_l.fx renamed to fx_strobe.fx)  

For the beacon lights high (fx_beacon_h.fx - Used when above the fuselage, “h” stands for “high”.) and beacon lights below (fx_beacon_l.fx -Used when below the fuselage, “b” stands for “below”.) I used the standard shockwave large beacon (fx_shockwave_beacon_l.fx) because the high and low files appear to be cut in half. I assume that may be one of the reasons why you cannot see it at distance.

The nav green and red  lights do not have a large versions in shockwave so just use the standard shockwave file.

I am still experimenting but this seem to be working very well so far for me...

That worked great FilghtSimDimm! A lot more realistic at night again...

I also ended up using the large version of the beacon_h and beacon_l files.

That worked great FilghtSimDimm! A lot more realistic at night again...

I also ended up using the large version of the beacon_h and beacon_l files.

Glad it work for you as well... I am very pleased with the current results since I can now see the traffic in the air again...

Have to say,

P3D 2.3 has fixed the AI strobe lighting. I use UT2 for AI and finally the night sky in not lonely anymore. You must set HDR on.

The default ground night textures are also perfect for night flying, cities stand out in the distance perfectly. Although I like ORBX textures too their lights mainly come from autogen objects that fade from view to soon.

2.3 is simply amazing.

Well done LM 

IM

hello!

i have the same issue on prepar3d v2.3 (ai strobe lights or navigation lights from ai traffic dissapear very soon: 10 km!). Before in fsx it was more far....

i have A2A shockwave simulations, and it helped me but..how could i disable ORBX lights?  i want to do what you have said in your post.

thanks and sorry for my english!!! (Im spanish)

abraham

Perhaps it's MyTrafficX that's at fault, but I doubt it. I don't see where the night AI aircraft lights are fixed in 2.3. I have just overwritten the stock P3D effects files with Shockwave; as per FlightSimmDimm. See how that goes.

Anybody have luck with landing lights?

Thanks,

Graham

Perhaps it's MyTrafficX that's at fault, but I doubt it. I don't see where the night AI aircraft lights are fixed in 2.3. I have just overwritten the stock P3D effects files with Shockwave; as per FlightSimmDimm. See how that goes.

I am using UT2 and it uses the default ai strobe, beacon, and nav lights.  For me, the key was using the large version of the shockwave files (ending in _l.fx)  to really have them appear in the night sky...

Lynk,

I am not aware of any other product similar to Shockwave. It is, however, a modestly priced purchase on the A2A site. OK...everything is modestly priced, but we buy so many of them that the investment grows :)

Graham

I am using UT2 and it uses the default ai strobe, beacon, and nav lights.  For me, the key was using the large version of the shockwave files (ending in _l.fx)  to really have them appear in the night sky...

Thanks. I used the _l versions as well. See how it goes.

Graham

....example Fx_shockwave_beacon_l.fx become "fx_beacon.fx"...

Thank you for that advice.

But I cannot find any fx_shockwave_beacon_l.fx . There is only fx_shockwave_beacon.fx,   fx_shockwave_beaconb_l.fx and fx_shockwave_beaconh_l.fx and some other beacon related ones in my effects folder.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Thank you for that advice.

But I cannot find any fx_shockwave_beacon_l.fx . There is only fx_shockwave_beacon.fx, fx_shockwave_beaconb_l.fx and fx_shockwave_beaconh_l.fx and some other beacon related ones in my effects folder.

You are corect but as long as you use the _l.fx file (means large) it will show up much better. The beaconb means beacon bottom , beaconh means beacon high. I just used the standard beacon_l for all my beacon replaced files

You are corect but as long as you use the _l.fx file (means large) it will show up much better. The beaconb means beacon bottom , beaconh means beacon high. I just used the standard beacon_l for all my beacon replaced files

Sorry, but as you can see below, there is no such standard beacon_l effect file, neither schockwave nor default p3dv2 effect files. At least in my installation I can't find it.. So could you please be more specific what you mean with standard beacon_l. Or is there sth wrong with my installation.

Harry

[url=http://s920.photobucket.com/user/HarryMX/media/beaconeffectfiles_zpsb19b1d98.jpg.html]

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).