Sign in to follow this  
Chris Catalano

Is there a program to help me taxi and not get lost at airports?

Hi Everyone:

I keep getting lost when trying to taxi at airports.  The charts help a lot, but I still often get lost.  I know that some real 737 NGs have a package installed that is akin to a GPS for the airport environment.  I don't believe that is modeled in the NGX package (right?).  Is the there an add-on I can get to help me to navigate the taxiways at airports that works like a GPS unit so I can find the runways more easily?

Thanks,

Chris Catalano

Have you tried to enable progressive taxi in FSX? I use it in addition to my airport charts when I think I'm taking a wrong turn and this just lets me get a quick validation I'm on the right track and then I disable it.

FSCommander works very well for taxing.

How does it work as a moving map within FSX?  I looked it up and I see that FSC is a Flight Planner, but how does it actually display a moving map within FSX?  Do you click on something, or hit a certain keystroke to bring up the moving map?  Do you have to run it in windowed mode in FSX, or can you run it in full screen?  Also, in regards to the idea above about the "Progressive taxi", I use Radar Contact for my ATC, so that wouldn't work for me.  Jeppview  seems like it takes a lot of system resources to run (and looks a little pricey) and I just can't seem to figure out what G is exactly or how it works.

Thanks for the help so far!

Chris Catalano

FSCommander is a great flight planner and navigation tool. If you zoom in the moving map display it works great for situational awareness while taxiing. One thing I really like about it is it's ability to display AI and online traffic which makes it a great tool for self vectoring so I don't have to use the crappy FSX ATC and for when there is no ATC online with VATSIM. Google it and take a look at the screenshots page.

John Sturm

FSCommander is a great flight planner and navigation tool. If you zoom in the moving map display it works great for situational awareness while taxiing. One thing I really like about it is it's ability to display AI and online traffic which makes it a great tool for self vectoring so I don't have to use the crappy FSX ATC and for when there is no ATC online with VATSIM. Google it and take a look at the screenshots page.

I will Google it.  But I am curious, how do you "turn on" the moving map display once you are in FSX?

I will Google it.  But I am curious, how do you "turn on" the moving map display once you are in FSX?

The program runs external to FSX and it's primary window is a moving map display. I run FSX windowed and run FSCommander on a second monitor.

You can also run it networked on a second computer. I recommend you download the 30 day fully functional trial to see if it will work out for you.

John Sturm

As far as I know there is no gauge included with it. You can run it as a window that overlays your FSX window but you would need to run FSX in windowed mode. Running FSX windowed works well for me but for some it may be a deal breaker. It may be worth a try to see how it works for you. Just download the 30 day free trial.

John Sturm

Hi Everyone:

I keep getting lost when trying to taxi at airports.  The charts help a lot, but I still often get lost.  I know that some real 737 NGs have a package installed that is akin to a GPS for the airport environment.  I don't believe that is modeled in the NGX package (right?).  Is the there an add-on I can get to help me to navigate the taxiways at airports that works like a GPS unit so I can find the runways more easily?

Thanks,

Chris Catalano

Still get lost with the airport diagram?

Still get lost with the airport diagram?

That was my thought.  Perhaps I'm a little too old school.  Taxi diagram and pay attention to your signage and you're golden...at least that's never failed me...

Kyle Rodgers

True. Just keep practicing that and you'll get it