Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Ideas why the Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel disconnects w/ every reboot?

This is a repost but only because folks may not visit the controllers forum below often and I'm hoping anyone has any ideas.  I will need to visit the Saitek forums as well.

I'm stumped.  I bought it, and experienced this first thing.  So I tried connecting it to a different PC--same outcome.  So I ordered a replacement--same outcome.   So apparently I'm doing something wrong as I don't find comment about this anywhere in my web search.  I chose not to install the Smart Technology software (I think it's called) as I've seen some comments that no drivers are required.  And indeed-it works perfectly...as long as I pull the USB connector out, and put it back in.  Doesn't matter which of the 3 different USB ports I've tried this in either.  FWIW, I have FSUIPC installed, and have had the boxes relating to disconnecting the elevator trim when the A/P is on both checked and unchecked but to no avail.

Thoughts?  Thanks in advance--I really like this thing but don't know how to keep it connected!!  

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Are you by any chance connecting to USB 3.0 ports?  Just a stab question on my part there.  There have been reports of compatibility issues with other Saitek devices and USB 3.0.  Also, are both computers you mention on the same version of Windows?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Are you by any chance connecting to USB 3.0 ports?  Just a stab question on my part there.  There have been reports of compatibility issues with other Saitek devices and USB 3.0.  Also, are both computers you mention on the same version of Windows?

Nope I read about the no USB 3.0.  Both computers are the same version of windows, and very different hardware.  I did discover a workaround that at least keeps me from needing to physically unplug/replug it into a USB 2.0 port:  I can open up the calibration dialogue and keep turning the wheel for several rotations.  Then a message pops up that it's not connected to the computer or something like that.  The dialogue spontaneously disappears, and voila the device now will drive the graphic value slider as you move the wheel whereas it doesn't when you've booted up but not gone thru this ritual.  Something's definitely amiss.  Did you install the software that comes w/ the trim wheel?

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

I have exactly the same issue. I deal with it by spinning the wheel a few times when I am in fsx and windows will then "find" the wheel. I would point out that I have it connected in fsx via FSUIPC registered.

As for why this happens, I am clueless. All my other Saitek items, yoke,rudder, throttle quadrants, X52, do not display this behaviour. Guess it must be to do with internal components making the wheel passive until moved.

I have exactly the same issue. I deal with it by spinning the wheel a few times when I am in fsx and windows will then "find" the wheel. I would point out that I have it connected in fsx via FSUIPC registered.

As for why this happens, I am clueless. All my other Saitek items, yoke,rudder, throttle quadrants, X52, do not display this behaviour. Guess it must be to do with internal components making the wheel passive until moved.

Interesting.  I maybe didn't give enough of a spin w/in sim but I will try that next which would be better than having to bring up the calibration dialogue.   Seems like a definite bug.  Do you have the software installed, SmartTechnology or whatever it is called?

Noel

No I don't use the SST software as I feel it is really not necessary, especially for the trim wheel which is just a single axis. To be honest, you may have to spin that wheel quite a few times before it gets recognised ( spin the wheel in one direction say 10 times and then the the other way). You'll hear the windows ding when it's found. Annoying as Hell but just becomes part of the startup routine. To be honest, it's probably just a quick if not quicker to unplug and plug it in again if that works for you.....Let me know how you get on.

Hello

I have the trim wheel using with Windows 7 64 bit, configured via registered FSUIPC and have not experienced this issue once

Wayne

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

I do have the Saitek driver installed, and use FSUIPC, and always have to turn the wheel a few times for it to be recognised.

I have to spin for the trim wheel/pc/windows to find each other .. prob about the equivalent of 1 complete revolution ... once you get in the habit its not a problem just part of your pre-flight checks!

I have the trim wheel using with Windows 7 64 bit, configured via registered FSUIPC and have not experienced this issue once
Wayne

Do you have the SST software installed Wayne?  Also, when did you pick up the trim wheel?  I wonder if some batches work and some don't with this odd requirement to spin the wheel first.  Also, what is you axis sensitivity set at?  I have mine set very low.

Noel

I have the same issue, have to turn the wheel for it to be recognized.

Ras

Same here! Are you guys using a USB hub or a USB extension cable?

My opinion is that its all down to Saitek using super cheap parts.

Not knocking the controllers, They are the best budget solution available

But I think that Saitek really scrap the bottom of the barrel for cheap

components and therein lies the issue!

Noel I don't use the sst software, picked up the trim wheel Mid January this year. I have my axis set through fsuipc only cant recall even setting a sensitivity. I am using a USB extension cable plugged into a USB2 port on windows 7 ultimate 64 bit

Wayne

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

Noel I don't use the sst software, picked up the trim wheel Mid January this year. I have my axis set through fsuipc only cant recall even setting a sensitivity. I am using a USB extension cable plugged into a USB2 port on windows 7 ultimate 64 bit

Wayne

Interesting.  I'm unable to spin the wheel and get the axis recognized w/in P3D V2 no matter how long I spin it unlike some other folks here, I MUST go to the Win 7 calibration routine and move the wheel there, then it's picked up and then works in P3D V2.   Very weird behavior but at least I have a way to make it work w/o plug/unplug.  Eventually that will wear out the plugs I'm afraid.

Noel