Sign in to follow this  
N1G

Question about VC Shadows

I am on the fence with the purchase. I know some would say I should not be, but nonetheless I am but only concerning the VC Shadows. Reading through some of the posts, I was unable to determine if VC Shadows work with most planes out of the box. I saw a post  on the RealAir Lancair and the poster had stated "My newly enabled VC Shadows". This got me thinking if there is something one must do other than enabling VC Shadows within the Fixer to get some planes to show the shadows?. I am just a little confused on this. Any help would be much appreciated.

Is there a list on planes that do work well?

Regards

Bob

The DX10 Fixer includes a stand alone tool which provides low level DX10 fixes to various FSX objects, which includes enabling cockpit shadows.  This tools modifies the aircraft's interior model file to enable the shadows.  I've done this successfully with almost all of my purchased aircraft add ons, none which are from PMDG.  The only downside is that the enabled shadows are not perfect, in that expected structural model elements seem to be missing which causes somewhat weird shadow elements to be projected, which is probably why the developer chose not to enable shadows in the first place.  IMO this does not matter a whole lot, for the basic idea of cockpit shadows is well represented so I'll take the good with the bad.  A good example of this is the A2A Cub.  The overhead railing shadows appear as multiple striped lines with dots between them, though the cockpit sides, window struts, seat, stick shadows all make up for the funky overhead projected shadows.

Edited by TheFamilyMan

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Hi Bob; Rod:

Thanks for that input, Rod. Adding to that - the latest version (under test) has - let's just say " further improved shadowing".

Steve is on vacation this week, and (sorry, but) I don't think he wants me to discuss this one, or the other DX10 fixes which are in the pipeline. While individual fixes are being tested, there are good chances that the fix might break something else, and then it's back to the drawing board. If that fix were to be prematurely published, it would create lots of unecessary stress on the team.

All the Best,

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Rod, Paul,

Thanks much for the input. I just talked to Steve on his cell phone and he said it was OK for you to discuss the fixes :rolleyes:  He also said to say hello to everyone.

Ok so there must me some controls inside the UI of the fixer for the shadows. I have seen the the buttons but not what is inside when you press the buttons.

Not too complicated I hope.

Regards

Bob

It's nothing magic, Bob: for VC shadows one uses the DX10 Toolbox-->>Turn on VC Shadows, which will open a file browser: go to the (desired) aircraft -->>Model folder, choose the "xxx_interior.mdl", click "Open", and the first part is done.

Next - the DX10 Controller, -->> General Shader Options-->> VC Shadows and then follow your nose.

The improvement which is coming, is a function which will correct the shadowing for aircraft like the NGX, but it will likely be in with another set of fixes, right now in V2.0 beta 3. Be patient, Grasshopper!

All the Best,

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I didn't know about this, and was wondering why my Cub didn't have shadows.  Oh, I like!  Cub has fantastic shadows now, and so does the P-51, and Van's RV-7!!  I just keep getting happier with this DX10 business!!

If you don't like the shadows after turning them on, how do you turn them back off?

Edited by Griphos

Delete the Fixer-created "xxx_interior.mdl", and rename the backup-up "ORIG_xxx_interior.mdl" back to the original name...

:drinks:

Easy enough.  I hadn't seen that it created a new file and backed up the original.  Excellent!

Now if Steve could only figure out the tool-tips issue (and, yes, I know I can use one of the window fixes to look like full screen, but my sim runs so much smoother at real full-screen with 1/2 refresh frame limiter).