Sign in to follow this  
falcon7xx

Radar Contact 4.3 vs Pro ATC X

I am looking into buying an ATC program.

I have read that Radar Contact has some SID/STAR issues and sometimes Vectors you into mountains and etc. I also read that there is not much going on new with it. Is there no atc for taxiing? That is something else i read.

I cannot really find much with Pro ATC X. I am hoping to get some feedback from people that use it or know more about these programs.

Edited by falcon7xx

Radar contact has no issues with stars, ask to fly an instrument approach and the controller will leave you alone to fly the procedure handing you off to Approach at the right moment.

It does not need "anything new going on with it" as it just works without issues within the programs design limits.

It also has realistic ATC procedures both in the USA and Europe.

Radar Contact will tell you what runway to taxi to and you can always request another runway, how you get there is up to yourself and your airport charts.

ProATC does not have realistic ATC procedures, not even close.

Largely unsupported by the Developer in as much as he avoids his support forum at all costs, there are a couple of mods over there who seem helpful and will tell you a patch is near but it keeps getting put back.

Radar Contact or Proflight Emulator would be my recommendations,

Radar Contact simply works correctly without fuss so that is what I use 90% of the time.

Guest Mik75

RC4, most definitely. And if you want to take realism even a step further, get yourself MCE. It lets you talk to the ATC RC4 provides by interfacing with it. I use this combination for most of my offline flights. Since you have to use the correct terminology for requesting clearances, taxi, etc., it's a very good training for online flying as well!

Edited by Mik75

To me, ATC is the weakest area of FSX.  None of the apps come close to live ATC.  I can rarely find a VATSIM controller, though.  If you're flying in the Southwest US then there's Pilot Edge...as real as it could be, probably.  If I *had* to use an ATC program, I'd probably opt for RC4.  To me it's a bit better than default ATC for IFR.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

To me it's a bit better than default ATC for IFR.

If you fly in Europe it is a 100% better than default ATC, correct phraseology and transition altitudes are only a start, but having American controllers only in the default ATC ruins immersion when flying over Europe.

But a shout out must go to Proflight emulator for its voices, probably the best implementation so far.

Guest Mik75

Does RC4 have button control or is it voice only?

Out of the box, only button control works, you need a program called MCE (Multi Crew Experience) to be able to talk to ATC.

Out of the box, only button control works, you need a program called MCE (Multi Crew Experience) to be able to talk to ATC.

Thankyou. I prefer button control. I think I will make RC4 my add on for March.

Vic green

Am I the only one that really likes VoxATC?

No, I like most features of VoxATC also. Calling request to start-up, identifying your parking area/location on the airfield, radio check, notifying atc intentions to switch freq. for weather, call FSS, etc. It is all pretty immersive and good press-to-talk training for GA flyers.

Keith Guillory

Thankyou. I prefer button control. I think I will make RC4 my add on for March.

I'll put my two cents in for PFE, Like RC4 PFE is button controlled, but MCE can be used if you want voice command. It handles SID's and STARS, but they need to be set up prior to flight. ProATC-X and I think VOXATC are the only ones that can dynamically assign them. Once setup in PFE, ATC will allow you to fly the SID. On approach ATC will allow you to fly the STAR down to the FAF, then it will vector you to the runway. Like RC4 though, at that point you can request to be cleared to final, in which case ATC will not bother you til on final where it will clear you for approach and switch you over to tower. It interacts (not controls it) with the AI system fairly well, not perfect, (Like the other programs). The one big gripe I have with it, is it vectors AI even at cruise. This is a FS design problem with the way AI is handled, the default ATC does the same. It would have been nice though if there was a way to suppress these instructions say any aircraft above transition altitude. Sine like your aircraft, they should be following their own flight plan, so there should not be too many vectors at altitude. It does handle traffic alerts much better and is configurable with altitude separations and distance in the options. Like Mad Dog mentioned with the expansion pack of voices (Which entitles you to an additional free voice pack on their forum.) you have the most variety of voices broken up y region. A total of 99 voices are available, with many configurable options You can get an idea how it qorks and sound on my latest Youtube videos. (Link below on my Sig!)    

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Do yourself a favour and stay far away from PRO-ATC at the moment, it is a complete waste of your money.

as someone said earlier, its not even close to be a realistic (or even working) ATC-addon.

And we have been promised a release of a big update almost every week for almost 6 monhts now.

Personally I belive we have been robbed and there are no updates coming at all...

Hopefully I will be proved wrong, but for now, stay away from PRO-ATC...

Niklas Eriksson