Sign in to follow this  
superglide17

RivaTuner, D3DOverrider , and VSync/tearing in DX10

I have recently made the switch to DX10. I love it for smoothness, FPS, overall scenery and visual quality.

I have tried all the suggested VSync/tearing fixes, 1/2 refresh rate, Standard VSync, etc, etc. Nothing works for me. I have an idea it may be because I am running a digital (20" ASUS) and a vga (24" Samsung) monitor on my GTX780. I am running the vga as my primary monitor in FSX and the digital as the secondary monitor for gauges. However, the 780 is always going to see the digital as the #1 and the vga as #2. That's the way the 780 connections work and there doesn't seem to be a way to change it.

In one of the other threads RivaTuner and D3DOverride was brought up as a fix for VSync/tering in DX10 by Jeff Thomson. Rather than threadjack the discussion, I'm starting another thread.

In Jeff's explanation on how to use D3DOverrider, he stated;

"These tweaks work fine with DX9, but DX10 seems to reject the cfg tweak or the Nvidia inspector tweak. Works fine with D3DOverrider though. It's sort of a "set it and forget it". Just set up the profile by clicking the plus sign and finding your FSX.exe file, and select "Force VSync". You'll either need to start D3DOverrider before you start FSX, or just have it run on startup so you don't need to. I personally have mine pinned to the taskbar, so I just click on it whenever I need it. Since the option is already set, there's no fiddling with it."

I'm asking Jeff if he can elaborate on the procedure. The help section of RivaTuner did not give the details I'm looking for. For example..."Just set up the profile by clicking the plus sign and finding your FSX.exe file". I find many plus signs and didn't manage to find the exact one Jeff is referring to. 

So, Jeff, if you are reading this, please refer me to a more precise explanation of the process. Or, please give us a step be step procedure for this.

I'm sure there must be others who would be interested.

Thanks in advance,

I have recently made the switch to DX10. I love it for smoothness, FPS, overall scenery and visual quality.

I have tried all the suggested VSync/tearing fixes, 1/2 refresh rate, Standard VSync, etc, etc. Nothing works for me. I have an idea it may be because I am running a digital (20" ASUS) and a vga (24" Samsung) monitor on my GTX780. I am running the vga as my primary monitor in FSX and the digital as the secondary monitor for gauges. However, the 780 is always going to see the digital as the #1 and the vga as #2. That's the way the 780 connections work and there doesn't seem to be a way to change it.

In one of the other threads RivaTuner and D3DOverride was brought up as a fix for VSync/tering in DX10 by Jeff Thomson. Rather than threadjack the discussion, I'm starting another thread.

In Jeff's explanation on how to use D3DOverrider, he stated;

"These tweaks work fine with DX9, but DX10 seems to reject the cfg tweak or the Nvidia inspector tweak. Works fine with D3DOverrider though. It's sort of a "set it and forget it". Just set up the profile by clicking the plus sign and finding your FSX.exe file, and select "Force VSync". You'll either need to start D3DOverrider before you start FSX, or just have it run on startup so you don't need to. I personally have mine pinned to the taskbar, so I just click on it whenever I need it. Since the option is already set, there's no fiddling with it."

I'm asking Jeff if he can elaborate on the procedure. The help section of RivaTuner did not give the details I'm looking for. For example..."Just set up the profile by clicking the plus sign and finding your FSX.exe file". I find many plus signs and didn't manage to find the exact one Jeff is referring to. 

So, Jeff, if you are reading this, please refer me to a more precise explanation of the process. Or, please give us a step be step procedure for this.

I'm sure there must be others who would be interested.

Thanks in advance,

Joe,

The thread that you're referring to helped me eradicate vsync issues.

I downloaded the stand alone version of D3DOverrider. You do NOT need RivaTuner.

You simply open D3DOverrider, add the fsx.exe, then choose fsx.exe. You can also choose a Global setting.

I also disabled the sound, enabled the program to open full size, and to start with windows.

Since I discovered this tip, I've eliminated any tearing caused by the occasional loss of vsync.

Jose

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

OK, thanks for your help. Do you have any info as to how this works with NVidia Inspector?

I'm going to try it. I'll report back

OK, thanks for your help. Do you have any info as to how this works with NVidia Inspector?

I'm going to try it. I'll report back

Nvidia Inspector should be set as per Paul's instructiions. He has made it very easy based on the level of SGSS. I used his 4SGSS settings and I'm delighted with the image quality and performance.

I used Paul's guide. However, his VSync settings do not work for me. Should I set those to off/standard if using D3DOverrider? Is there a conflict if I don't? 

I used Paul's guide. However, his VSync settings do not work for me. Should I set those to off/standard if using D3DOverrider? Is there a conflict if I don't?

Set up as per Paul's guide and enable D3DOverrider. See if that works.

Try ome screen. See if it works.

Those settings are from Nvidia's tech site, Joe - they likely don't work in your case because you are running two monitors (from your specs), and I think it depends upon how you are using them, i.e. Windowed mode, FS mode, etc..

There are a number of threads here on this issue, and I run either 3 x 19" using TH2Go, or a single 27" 2560 x 1600, so I can't really help you. I guess I should split the four up and do some digging for an answer, as this seems to be a pretty common problem.

Let us know how you are configuring, please, Joe, and post back here. I'll see what I can do to get this one done and documented.  Thanks.

We could call it "The Joe Brown Fix".  

All the Best,

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Thanks for jumping in here ,Paul. Your instructions on setting up DX10 are excellent. I never thought I would switch from DX9 but after working thru your setup I haven't looked back. My only frustration was with the VSync/tearing issues. 

Well let me tell you, my friend, I have found relief! D3DOverrider has cured both VSync and tearing! It was easy to set up, once Jose got me straightened out, thank you Jose. I flew the F1 B200 from KMMH to KBVS. Smooth as silk, and the sim never looked better. I did not notice any decreased performance in FPS. Actually, I may have seen a slight increase which kinda makes sense. 

I did go into NVidia Inspector and turn off 1/2 refresh rate, opted for Force on. Left Tear Control on Standard. 

Thanks Jeff Thomson for the heads up and thanks Jose for the help. 

Great, but can you tell me/us - what your monitor setup looks like, and (exactly) what you did to overcome the problem? I need the "meat" so that I can add to the guide.

Thanks a mil!

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Excellent news!

Paul D3DOverrider is an excellent program. Everytime I changed anything in my cfg, I lost vsync. When I change my settings, I lost vsync. The only way I got it back, I had to restart my computer.  It was frustrating.

Thankfully, D3DOverrider came to the rescue. Once again, I owe one to AVSIM and its caring members.

I have a 24" Samsung VGA as my primary monitor and a 19" ASUS DVI-D as my secondary. However, since the ASUS is a digital connection and the Samsung is VGA, the ASUS shows as Monitor #1 and the Samasung is Monitor #2 on my GTX780. This is in the video BIOS of the 780 and cannot be changed, at least I haven't found a way. You can find the specs for the rest of my rig in my profile.

I am using NVidia Inspector and had it set as per your excellent DX10 guide. That is, AA 8xSGS, VSync 1/2 Refresh Rate, VSync TC Standard. Everything else per your setup. I experimented with many combinations of VS, VSTC, AA, Bufferpools, etc. with absolutely no joy.

After much research I came across Jeff Thomson's post about Riva Tuner and D3DOverrider. I don't use the Riva Tuner itself, but the D3DO comes bundled with The RT download. 

D3DO is very simple to use. Start the app, I start it as administrator. Browse for your fsx.exe file. Set Force VSync = ON. I also use Force triple buffering=ON. D3DO must be running with FSX so I use the option Start with windows=ON.

I have made a couple of flights with D3DO. Both were in the excellent F1 B200. They were KMMF-KBVS and KBVS - KJAC. I am running the FTX/ORBX products in those regions. I also use Trk IR, couldn't do without it. With this setup in Full Screen mode, I had absolutely no VSync/tearing at all.  Yay!

I am not saying this is the final cure for VSync issues but, it works for me and apparently others. 

Paul, I'm sure you will get to the bottom or top of this. If I can help, let me know.

Well I'm glad your having fun with DX10, Joe - and finding some good solutions to a very specific issue! I don't know that it's new, as very often the important details are left out of the post!

So... ok.. what you've written makes sense, except (to clarify) - it sounds like D3DO forces your 24" VGA monitor to be the #1 (FSX) monitor and able to use fullscreen and with Vsync, too. Is that correct? What do you use on the other monitor?

Regards,

pj

"...it sounds like D3DO forces your 24" VGA monitor to be the #1 (FSX) monitor and able to use fullscreen and with Vsync..."

I don't know that to be correct. I'm not a programmer nor a computer engineer. You tell me. I just know it works.  The other monitor usually has my MFD, Flight Director/ Auto Pilot, the Active Sky Next X-Gauge and the RCv4 interface.

Tell me what other important details I can supply and I'll do me best to comply.

Notice of this and now using it! It's very good!

I need to select to Enable Triple Buffer or only Vsync?

Enviado desde mi Nexus 5 mediante Tapatalk

José Fco. Ibáñez /// i7 6700k (Delid) @ 4,6 Ghz /// Asrock Z170 OC Formula /// 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 /// GTX 1070 Founders Edition 8GB /// LG 27UD58 4K 27' // OCZ Vertex 4 SSD (X-Plane 10) & SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD (P3D V3) /// Windows 10 Pro x64

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

Heu, Jose:

Both: Here is one of the best explanations of Triple-Buffering that i'v seen. I will precis' it and create a pdf.  I will see if I can create a pictorial to go with it.

All the best,

pj