Sign in to follow this  
BleedAir

IXEG

I don't think so. X-Plane just doesn't work that way. And I think that dragging is not only way more convenient, but it's also more precise. I still remember days with FSX when I had to use mouse all over the cockpit like crazy.

Errrm you can't be serious.  Mouse wheel is far more precise than trying to manipulate a teeny wheeny clickspot while flying around with track IR.  Can't stand current XP manipulators.  At least a few companies are starting to use mosue wheel interaction

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Mouse wheel is far more precise than trying to manipulate a teeny wheeny clickspot while flying around with track IR.  Can't stand current XP manipulators.

I couldn't agree more; however, it appears that IXEG is implementing that differently than other XP developers.  Looking at the videos, they don't appear to have those little annoying click spots with the half circle arrow depending which side of the knob your on (XP users know exactly what I'm talking about).  Instead it appears that you just grab the knob and drag in your mouse in the direction you want to turn it.  Similar to the dual arrow cursor in other addons.  I can live with that if that is indeed the case.

Ryan

Ryan

I agree I can work with that.  FSX usually has click and drag and mouse wheel op.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I couldn't agree more; however, it appears that IXEG is implementing that differently than other XP developers.  Looking at the videos, they don't appear to have those little annoying click spots with the half circle arrow depending which side of the knob your on (XP users know exactly what I'm talking about).  Instead it appears that you just grab the knob and drag in your mouse in the direction you want to turn it.  Similar to the dual arrow cursor in other addons.  I can live with that if that is indeed the case.

Ryan

Ryan

Those are the standard x-plane manipulators used in many x-plane add ons.  The half circle you speak of is a clickspot.

Hello all.  The manipulators we use are all customized.  There are "default" x-plane manipulators which have similar actions, but generally have limitations when trying to simulate exact behavior of many input types.  We certainly would like to provide the option of using a scrollwheel, I think its quite convenient myself in many situations; however, as you can see in our videos, it come become relatively natural in short order to use the drag operation.  Ideally, we'll be able to provide both.  

We have not looked into scroll wheel abilities with gizmo just yet....yes other companies have implemented it, but they're not busy programming systems to the nth degree and doing FMSs' from scratch either.....but we will absolutely look into it asap.    We are on an older version of gizmo (4 years of development :P) which I do not think supports scroll wheel.  We plan on updating, but with the amount of code we have written, we have to proceed very cautiously when we do so we'll see what happens at that time.

We are quite interested in providing flexible preferences but will evaluate the effort required vs. release timing as this juncture.  Priority is on the FMS and we're making super progress.  We are cresting the most difficult part just in the last two weeks......handling bypass routing and difficult waypoint sequences so as to not end up creating "non-flyable" routes.  Here's  a little algorithm we wrote to test our flyover route calculations as it applies to potential bypass situations.

TomK

Horray! Another video! :D I like it.

Back to the drag vs scroll discussion. When I launched X-Plane the first time I also thought that the drag isn't the most convenient solution. But after flying a couple of weeks I realized I got used to this even without noticing it. I use custom-built head track (with linuxtrack) and I have no difficulty in selecting heading, altitude, course or anything else. It's just way more usable. Image 180-degree turn. With scroll it's like you'd ride your mouse from your seat to the nearest duty-free shop. I fly mainly FlyJSim 732 and some Carenado's GA planes and turns like that are no problem, I do it in half a second. You just need to get used to it.

Anyway, I'm glad IXEG developers are very much likely to make the 737 customizable.

Will the IXEG B737Classic be compatible with Linux?

I was under the impression that it won't, because of the use of gizmo.

Are there any support plans for Linux?

The build up to Star Wars TFA has nothing on the the tense anticipation for this 737.

The force is definitely with the IXEG guys. :)

Ideally, we'll be able to provide both.

that would really be the best ,large changes with the  drag operation and small changes with the mouse wheel

nothing is more annoying as lose time to adjust a spezial value in a complex fast flying airplane as single pilot

mouse wheel operation in a later update would also be great :rolleyes:

don't delay release due to mouse wheel operation

Ryan
Those are the standard x-plane manipulators used in many x-plane add ons.  The half circle you speak of is a clickspot.

True, but most if not all XP developers and default planes (correct me if I'm wrong) use a combination of the drag and the clickspot.  Completely eliminating the clickspot cursor in favor of the "drag" only option would be ideal (which appears to be what IXEG have done).  While a mouse wheel option would be a great addition it's lack of implementation certainly wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.  The question then becomes is that a deal breaker for the FSX/P3D only crowd that is looking for any reason not to migrate to XP.  In which case as an avid user of both P3D and XP, I would tell that crowd it's not a big deal.

Ryan 

Ryan

Will the IXEG B737Classic be compatible with Linux?

I was under the impression that it won't, because of the use of gizmo.

Are there any support plans for Linux?

Maybe..

I am considering publishing a Linux port of the plugin that will "work" with commercial products.

Whether the publishers and authors of those products want to offer technical support for Linux as an OS is another matter.

Linux has an awkward mixture of incredibly low user count and very complex support possibilities.

However, the Linux community is fairly well accustomed to supporting itself.

Providing the plugin under very clear after sales support conditions could work out well for everyone.

Author of Gizmo64 for X-Plane.

Maybe..

I am considering publishing a Linux port of the plugin that will "work" with commercial products.

Whether the publishers and authors of those products want to offer technical support for Linux as an OS is another matter.

Linux has an awkward mixture of incredibly low user count and very complex support possibilities.

However, the Linux community is fairly well accustomed to supporting itself.

Providing the plugin under very clear after sales support conditions could work out well for everyone.

Thanks Ben!

One more question, whenever there might be a Linux version of Gizmo,

that does not mean that addons like Skymaxx Pro will automatically work on the Linux platform, right?

I'm still on Windows, so no problems yet.

Thanks Ben!

One more question, whenever there might be a Linux version of Gizmo,

that does not mean that addons like Skymaxx Pro will automatically work on the Linux platform, right?

I'm still on Windows, so no problems yet.

SkyMAXX Pro is an additional plugin. It has XPL files that X-Plane itself loads.

XPL addons will not automatically work.

The Saab 340A on the other hand is entirely powered by Gizmo and does not use any extra XPL files. The Saab and other products like it will work automatically.

(minor things like case sensitive file naming may cause some minor irritation)

Any further questions about Gizmo should probably go in a new thread.. 

..back to IXEG. :)

Author of Gizmo64 for X-Plane.

So we've crested some milestones on the FMS lnav.  We're at about 98%.  We have small challenges to deal with regarding our Nav data set.  Sometimes the data is just a little funky and we're trying to be smart about it and not just say, "you can't fly that route".  I doubt we'll ever get 100% perfect because some data is just not right....but with over 340,000 points in the database, I guess a few oops are to be expected.  

Most of the time, in cases of "desperation or emergency", you can hand edit the XML data to get troublesome routes cleaned up.  I expect we'll have some sort of un-official forum thread for instructing how to hand-clean your own navigation files on those rare occasions it is needed.  

Below is a screenshot of LSZH, RWY 16, GERS1 departure with lnav tracking.  With the lnav processing out of the way, its now a downhill run to implement vnav and a few other things before wrapping up the FMS and cleaning up remaining 3D.   The train is indeed approaching the station.

Tom Kyler

Screen Shot 2014-12-30 at 10.58.39 AM.png