Sign in to follow this  
Taipan

Updating Magnetic Variation in P3D 2

Hi,

I used to use FSX but now am trying Prepar3d.

Apparently Prepar3d still uses very old data (from FSX) and needs to be updated as bad as FSX.

These are the three files I was going to use:

1. MagDec: http://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids.html - updating magdec.bgl, but also planning to use the MagVarCorrector.exe across all the default airports to update airport ILS etc that have become incorrect. I'm also considering updating custom/addon airports since they would have changed a bit too depending on when they were released.

2. Navaids Update: http://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids3.html - to update VORs/NDBs

3. Intersections Update: http://www.aero.sors.fr/navint.html - to update Intersections

Does anyone know if the old tricks still work for fixing magnetic variation? 

Any risks/downsides of running these against Prepar3d?

Anyone else done this yet?

Cheers

Hi Dan,

I did this last week and have not run across anything dramatically wrong. I did take the time to backup the affected files through.

I believe instructions in the archives reference P3D so I wasn't too worried.

__

20-6

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

Same with me, loaded and installed just like FSX and then when I ran a couple flights all the nav aid and airport are were they are supposed to at the headings they are supposed to be.

Hi, just wanted to check if the Prepar3d 2.5 has updated magnetic variations? 

Do we still need to run this tool? 

Regards.

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

P3D will not update the scenery and hence the nav aids. So not v2.5, not v2.6 and any conceivable future patch. You'll need to update it yourself if you want it now up to date.

Before using this patches in P3D, make sure you will do the scenery backup.

I wanted to spare some time and didn't do it and I ended up with duplicate VORs and NDBS, and needed to reinstall whole P3D.

It was clearly my fault, because both: manual and software advises to do a backup.

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

Before using this patches in P3D, make sure you will do the scenery backup.

Are you suggesting a backup of the full Scenery folder in the root of P3D?

While it's always a good idea to backup important files, I'm pretty sure the updater will offer to backup the files before changing them.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

P3D will not update the scenery and hence the nav aids. So not v2.5, not v2.6 and any conceivable future patch. You'll need to update it yourself if you want it now up to date.

This will definitely become a safety issue if Lockheed Martin intend P3D to be taken seriously as a professional flight training simulator. EIGHT YEARS of out of date navigation data? Mad.

Thanks for links. Will backup and update my copy over the weekend.

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

While it's always a good idea to backup important files, I'm pretty sure the updater will offer to backup the files before changing them.

Correct, this is what I wanted to say. There is some readme or PDF included somewhere within the update folders and it describes backup process.

This will definitely become a safety issue if Lockheed Martin intend P3D to be taken seriously as a professional flight training simulator. EIGHT YEARS of out of date navigation data? Mad.

I am pretty sure, this is because of the data structure. All navaid data lies within BGL files. It is very easy to overwrite it, when you are installing addon scenery.

The most logic way would be to change this structure, but this would mean losing compatibility and a step further away from FSX. In short words: 'Bigger change'.

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

Lockheed Martin has no intention of offering a professional flight training simulator. Those users who really need up-to-date navigation data  it will buy it separately.

Remember, real world navigation is updated every 28 days. Lockheed Martin isn't going to provide that.