Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Malaysian Flight 370

I delete flightsim files all the time including saved flights I do!

Just because sim files were deleted doesn't mean anything. It could of been something tivial as old AI traffic bgls.

The files he deleted were supposedly the log files (from FSX, FS9 and Xplane 10), on Feb 3rd, and they are going to try to recover those.

Now given the problems that the logbook.bin file is known to create (and discussed in the Avsim forums as recently as Dec16th 2013), the Captain may have just been cleaning up to either prevent this "FSX startup error" form affecting his system, or he may have been experiencing that problem. Also he reportedly encouraged visitors to "try out" his sim. This would result in a whole lot of "garbage records" in his logbook files that he just was not keen on keeping.

In any case a RW pilot is more interested in time logged in his real logbook, than worrying about retaining his flightsim logbook!

Now that we know he had 3 flightsim "games" (term used by reporters, sorry folks!), I guess the suspiscion will only deepen. Now we have to educate the media about why his having FS9, FSX and Xplane 10 is actually quite "normal"! Ouch. Just as well he seems to have left-off installing P3D for now; can you just imagine what a feast they would have bringing LM into the discussion.

Rob

Robin Harris

My questions regarding the theory that MH370 was shadowing SIA68:

Aside from the obvious difficulty of knowing that it would be in the same area at approximately the same time, how easily could one T7 intercept another T7 traveling at cruise, without a military radar designed specifically for that purpose, and avoid detection while doing so? It's not like it can kick in afterburners; while it could conceivably plot an intercept course, given MH370 wouldn't have a lot of excess speed relative to SIA68, I'd think it would have to be almost perfect in its execution.

Further, it's not a simple task for aircraft to complete mid-air refueling even when both aircraft are working in concert to achieve it. And how easy would it be to mange changes in speed and altitude quickly enough to mirror another large aircraft that's not working in concert. It seems that would be an awfully tall order for any pilot, even an experienced T7 pilot, especially at night.

If there are any ex-military pilots on here, I'd be curious of your opinion.

Brian Johnson

i9-9900K (OC 5.0), ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero Z390, Nvidia 2080Ti, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, OS on Samsung 860 EVO 1TB M.2, P3D on SanDisk Ultra 3D NAND 2TB SSD

Yeah, and they got this so called Flightsim expert saying there would be no reason to delete these files. Are they for real? One they don't know yet what was deleted. So they're speculating again with zero foundation. It's most likely the temporary files like weather, or he used FSRecorder that he didn't save and the temporary files it created got deleted. Or maybe he uninstalled software. As we all know none of these things would be unusual. This is getting absolutely ridiculous at this point. Until we know more on just what was deleted, they should not be wildly speculating.  There's no hard evidence yet that this guy was involved.

To say some data was deleted is a meaningless statement. All of us load and delete files in the sim continuously. It does seem that there is a political involvement here desperate to pin the loss on the pilot(s). There are almost no facts and most of them have already been questioned. Until the a/c is found we will be entertained by this farce.

Until the a/c is found we will be entertained by this farce.

Uh..... you mean "this investigation."  Right?  :rolleyes:   I can't believe no one has mentioned the fact that some students looking at RT satellite images have found the 777 in the ocean but they also include a photo of it in the jungles - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2583807/Did-Malaysian-fisherman-missing-flight-MH370-flying-low-Gulf-Thailand.html.  But anyone familiar with MSE V2 photoscenery, will clearly see this was just an aircraft captured while flying over the jungles.  Yet, I thought it interesting.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

One of those photos clearly (to me) shows an image of a ship rather than a plane. Now, this appears to be underwater, so whether it is a virtually intact ship that has sunk, or some clever CGI work remains to be seen...

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

The very first satellite picture someone claimed was MH370 from the TomRod site, clearly was under water and was the closest I've seen to looking like the silhouette of a plane the size of the 777. The rest I agree looks like planes flying past at the time the sat pic was taking

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

The only explanation I personally have is to kill all people in the passenger cabin by hypoxia. However, that requires to manipulate the passenger oxygen system before, so that the masks don't deploy once you open the outflow valves and the cabin altitude exceeds 14k feet. But I'm sure it can be done. Also remember this was a night flight. Many people were sleeping. And even when you are awake you just notice a negative pressure in your ear but I doubt you would be able to realize that you will pass out very soon.

I hate that thoughts. But it's the only thing which comes into my mind when I ask myself why the airplane ascended to 45k feet. No matter who it was and why he did it, but he was very aware of what he was doing all along.

First off the altitude variations isn't conclusive, second to point blame at the pilot with no proof is crazy. What if the co-pilot did this? We don't know what happened but what's troubling is now there's an urgency to pen the tail on a donkey meaning we are just going to blame somebody, blame flight simulation, blame anything we can without facts to pacify the masses. If anyone's at fault it's the Malaysian Air Traffic Control and military for not catching this outright the night it was going down. It's like 9/11 all over again and sadly Flight Simulation has taken center stage for the wrong reasons. Some pilots in the field are trying to hold back the hordes of speculation (Les Abend from Flying Magazine for example) as it could be terrible for the industry and how pilots are scrutinized doing their jobs. I personally don't believe it was the captain at fault here because I can identify with his love for aviation and the last thing I would do is want to hurt someone with a technology it took man kind thousands of years to perfect. As a pilot/simmer myself I feel for the industry and the ramifications this could have if proven either of the pilots were at fault. I feel for anyone affected if we find out this plane was meant to be used as a weapon of mass destruction and is being positioned as such. I feel for the passengers and families involved with all this but most of all the hellish reality that so many of us can't get along and so many want to hurt others. We have to refrain from blaming somebody especially the captain because if we move on that point without facts it could bring down hell on our community and our hobby as a whole (forget P3D v3 it'll never happen, I'm sure PMDG is under investigation as I type this or will be in short order). My gut tells me it wasn't the pilot. I hope I'm right because if it was all of us are on notice and the future will be more along the lines of 'Angry Birds' versus true desktop simulation (heck things were trying to go in that direction anyway).

That being said if the plane is actually in the water (Indian Ocean) we've just opened up Pandora's Box to all terrorist around the world with what's possible that they never would have thought of otherwise...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

PMDG under investigation ... for what? That's pretty unsupported speculation.

For how detailed their simulation actually is. If the captain did this (which again I don't believe) PMDG has the most detailed simulation of the actual 777 available for anyone to purchase and use. The captain of this Malaysia flight had a copy of PMDG's 777 which is now under the microscope as investigators look through his computer. You must have not been around when the US Government/Media called for a shut down of Flight Simulator and Microsoft considered not releasing FS2002 after 9/11. So much is one the table and could rock this community to it's core if the captain used his sim to practice terror (again which I don't believe).

FS2020 

For how detailed their simulation actually is. If the captain did this (which again I don't believe) PMDG has the most detailed simulation of the actual 777 available for anyone to purchase and use. The captain of this Malaysia flight had a copy of PMDG's 777 which is now under the microscope as investigators look through his computer. You must have not been around when the US Government/Media called for a shut down of Flight Simulator and Microsoft considered not releasing FS2002 after 9/11. So much is one the table and could rock this community to it's core if the captain used his sim to practice terror (again which I don't believe).

Well, 9/11 - sadly enough - happened and we're up to FSX, P3Dv2 and all.

Even smartcockpit.com and YouTube websites still exist ... and so do flying schools.

Level-D's B763 has got winglets by now and so, I assume, PMDG will survive.

There's been a nifty piece of PMDG marketing before in WSJ ...

From the current article:

"Last year, U.S.-based PMDG released the Boeing 777 version of its flight simulator software, which replicates in detail every facet of flying the long-range jetliner—from the exact handling characteristics of the 777 to custom sounds of every knob and switch.

Developers of the software have said that a pilot can learn where everything from the window shades to the cup holder to the autopilot disconnect is located before ever touching the actual airplane or entering a full simulator."

Plain advertising language.   B)

It has been said before: A RW pilot, type-rated and current on the T7, doesn't need PMDG to find the cupholder in his Triple Seven.

Well, 9/11 - sadly enough - happened and we're up to FSX, P3Dv2 and all.

Even smartcockpit.com and YouTube websites still exist ... and so do flying schools.

Level-D's B763 has got winglets by now and so, I assume, PMDG will survive.

Level-D almost didn't happen. Eric Ernst the original developer was so moved by 9/11 he didn't want to continue with FS development. To this day his involvement is marginal at best. Flight Simulator has been discontinued by Microsoft for a host of reasons let alone incidents like this and 9/11. To assume things will survive after acts like this is short sighted. We had stronger support in the 9/11 days. Microsoft was in active development of Flight Simulator, it was creating a profit for them, competition on the market included other great simulation titles like Fly, Flight Unlimited, Falcon 4, Total Air War to name a few. It was a different time. Today our hobby is struggling. Many here don't even support the best active development project we have right now and that's LM's P3D. To think something like this couldn't bring our hobby to it's knees with the gaming climate we have today means one has to be sitting under a rock. I can't explain the dumbing down we have in the gaming world or the choices people are making in entertainment. Angry Birds and MineCraft has out sold Flight Simulator 10 to 1 over the years. When FSX was discontinued games were getting less and less technical and more dumb mindless entertainment. There would be no fight outside of the aviation community (which doesn't take our software seriously anyway) to back us with support. Outside of Avsim most other FS sites are all but dead when it comes to forum discussion so the slightest push and we're over the edge. So I for one have my fingers crossed it's proven the pilot had nothing to do with this because the scrutiny of the public on home based Flight Simulation will be so big I don't know if we can survive something like that. All one has to do is look at the gun issue in the USA after so many school shootings to see how things could go. We don't have a powerful NRA backing us if all hell breaks loose...

FS2020 

So I for one have my fingers crossed it's proven the pilot had nothing to do with this because the scrutiny of the public on home based Flight Simulation will be so big I don't know if we can survive something like that.

If the pilot is the key, either involved or not involved, then I don't accept the statement above.  The greater ability he possesses is most certainly based on his real world training and thousands of flight hours, and that is obvious to the world.  The great harm that could come to the flight sim world would be if someone else, someone with ONLY flight simulation experience, was the key figure.

One could make a much better argument that shoot-em-up video games lead to gun violence than can be made that flight sims lead to whatever....  I have never heard of any activity, lesson, mission or such in the flight sim world that paints a scenario of terrorism.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere