Sign in to follow this  

P3DV2.2 Beta 2 info/video

Just some quick info/video on 2.2 Beta 2.  I've reported a few minor issues to Wes ... please note I don't call these bugs because they could be issues specific to my environment/PC (3rd party add-ons, video drivers, etc.).

Here is video I made using latest build -- I'm using some rather "extreme" graphics settings (tree lovers unit): 

My display settings are here: http://www.robainscough.com/Prepar3D_Settings_2.html pay close attention to the Shadow Map Count and Draw distance.

Add-Ons used:

Orbx PNW

Orbx NCA

Orbx Vector 1.1

Orbx FTX Global

PILOT's FS Global 2010 Ultimate FTX Edition

REX 4 Texture Direct (clouds at 4096/2048)

AccuFeel

FSUIPC

VAS usage started at 2.6GB ... I flew for over an hour and landed back with 2.7GB ... so I only used 100MB for the entire flight.  As of today, I've not been able to exceed 2.8GB and I've tried.

Some items to note for my system:

1.  FFTF entry seems to not have an impact any more, so removed it

2.  AffinityMask entry seems to not have an impact any more, so removed it

3.  Locked frame rate seems to work now (similar to how it solved stutters in V2.0) and removes most of the stutter issues

4.  I no longer use Unlimited and Vsync and Triple Buffer are OFF

Wes and crew have been very responsive to my feedback and I'll continue testing as much as I possibly can (usually very late at night and early morning).  Very good progress is being made by the LM crew.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob,

Your updates and analysis are very much appreciated by all of us.

John

Notice how the cloud shadows cast on the plane at you pass under them. And the transition from sunlight to cloud shadows on the plane are smooth. 

B-E-A-utiful.

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

Very cool Rob. Glad to see a man of your skill and temper being on the beta team!

Any news on blurries and LC texture loading? Seems to be a problem among many in v2.1?

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Notice how the cloud shadows cast on the plane at you pass under them. And the transition from sunlight to cloud shadows on the plane are smooth. 

Glad you noticed, wanted to make sure I got that in the video.

Cheers, Rob.

Any news on blurries and LC texture loading?

I still get texture loading delays ... look closely and you can see them in my video (not hugely distracting).  However, keep in mind I'm using what I consider rather extreme settings in a mountain region using lots of 3rd party ... the more detail I dial back, the less texture loading delays I get.  So this tells me it's a performance balancing act (nothing new here).  Maybe the new i7 4960X quad channel based systems have enough processing grunt to help this out ?? ... I'm still using a now old school i7 3960X quad channel setup.

Cheers, Rob.

Those shadows look great!!! Any particular reason why you disabled the terrain casting shadows? Maybe to make the cloud shadows more obvious?

BTW I suppose the rather immense stuttering of the scenery is due to fraps...?

Any particular reason why you disabled the terrain casting shadows?

Not really, probably going back to 2.0 days where I didn't like how the terrain cast shadows looked because they would conflict with "baked in" terrain shadows.  I'll turn them on again tonight and see if they have changed any.

I don't see any immense stutters in the video?  Fraps source recording is good also.  PP CC conversion seems good too ... perhaps a bandwidth or YouTube issue?  I set target minimum/max to 16Mbps on conversion, so you'll need to maintain that bit rate when viewing.

Thanks, Rob, for providing this update and for going to CYPS!

Much appreciated!

IXEG 737 Beta-Tester and First Officer

i7 6700K@4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, Palit GTX 1080 GameRock Premium@2Ghz, Oculus Rift S, ButtKicker
X-Plane 11 latedt version on a Samsung M.2 SSD for speedy loading times

A request if possible, can you record overcast conditions with clouds with cloud shadows? 

BetaTeamD.png

A request if possible, can you record overcast conditions with clouds with cloud shadows?

Certainly, but I think my last part of my video was done at KCCR with clouds/overcast conditions (and cloud shadows) ... also note that time of day will impact (as it should).  Can you be more specific in your weather settings?

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks for the video ,Rob.  I have been following the OOM thread and it seems VAS management is obviously improved... but at this point can you recommend to what extent?  For instance, does it seem to be actually BETTER than FSX?  Worse?  Drastically improved?  I'd like to purchase P3D after getting a refund but also want to ensure I don't have to be awfully creative in my ways to manage VAS (i.e. deselecting certain scenery, etc).

-Phil

For instance, does it seem to be actually BETTER than FSX?  Worse?  Drastically improved?  I'd like to purchase P3D after getting a refund but also want to ensure I don't have to be awfully creative in my ways to manage VAS (i.e. deselecting certain scenery, etc).

It's difficult to compare to FSX as FSX can't do and doesn't have many of the options available in P3DV2.x (tessellation, shadow types, etc.) and those options consume VAS ... nothing is for free on the graphics front.

But when I used FSX, I had to tailor my FSX settings (many of them) specific to each flight plan so I could avoid OOMs and maximize visuals.  In this P3D v2.2 Beta 2 build VAS seems to be a non-issue now, the challenge is going to be frame rates at these extreme settings.  The shadow draw distance settings are just mind boggling ... I'm surprised LM allow for such a range 80,000 -- heck 40,000 seems to go to the visible horizon, not sure where 80,000 goes -- space? ;)

Now that doesn't mean someone (3rd party) can't come along and go "oh I have 1GB VAS to play with and I'm going to use it ALL" ... cause you know they will ... I can see them planning already :)

If you are unsure about spending a lot of money on P3D then you can try the developer subscription for 1 month at $9.95 ... no penalty to cancel if you don't like what you see.  If you do like what you see, keep with the subscription or cancel and get single time purchase.  But I'm not trying to "sell you" on P3D, I have no vested interest, I'm not even a 3rd party developer.  I'm just helping LM on the testing front and most of my testing is focused on VAS/AutoGen and using 3rd party products ... there is just way too much content in P3DV2.x for me to test every aspect (there are others doing that).  I really wasn't tasked with cloud shadow testing, but I just think they are such a nice new feature I wanted to share.

Of course, as I run into things outside my scope I do report them ... some maybe valid, some could be specific to my setup/environment.

Cheers, Rob.

It's difficult to compare to FSX as FSX can't do and doesn't have many of the options available in P3DV2.x (tessellation, shadow types, etc.) and those options consume VAS ... nothing is for free on the graphics front.

Well as a bit of history I have TONS of FSX add ons and initially bought P3D 2.0 on release date... but got a refund because I was extremly frustrated with the OOMs I got.  My main thing is as long as their VAS is under control (which it sounds like it will be) then I already have a vested interest being that I spent hundreds on FSX products. 

I currently have and love X Plane 10, but see no reason why P3D 2.2 and XPX can't coexist.  Heck, that would be awesome :)

Thanks again,

-Phil

Edited by n4gix
Removed excessive quote!

Certainly, but I think my last part of my video was done at KCCR with clouds/overcast conditions (and cloud shadows) ... also note that time of day will impact (as it should).  Can you be more specific in your weather settings?

Cheers, Rob.

Full overcast, for example; KBVS at this moment. 

BetaTeamD.png