Sign in to follow this  

P3DV2.2 Beta 2 info/video

I just made an interesting discovery tonight that gained me 90% performance increase with just one setting change ... also allowed me to crank up Water to Ultra, and add a virtual "ton" of clouds.

What was the magic setting?

What was the magic setting?

This is exact my question too!

Rob, we appreciate your answer!

The whole video is great, but the last part of the video (from 7:50 ->) is just fantastic. Never seen anything like it!

// 5800X3D // RTX 3090 // 64GB RAM // HP REVERB G2 //

I just made an interesting discovery tonight that gained me 90% performance increase with just one setting change

That is great news.  Hopefully this translates to a large increase in performance for the rest of us.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Fantastic... Nothing to criticize.. I especially like the way light is appropriately dimmed when flying under cloud cover. Big plus!

Fantastic news, I've tried out Rob's new settings and for me I've gotten a huge increase in performance with 16x Anisotropic filtering being the only change from what he is using.

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."

From the point of view of the quality of the visuals and performance this is the best Flight Sim Video I have ever seen!

It is almost perfectly free of stutter of any kind. I say one "oops I'm Stuck" stutter and that might not even have been the Sim.

Looking at some of my own C172 FSX Video for a comparison apart from the obvious what really stand out is the texture

resolution. Its virtually impossible to make a stutter free FSX video at anything above 1024. I cannot what to get my hands

on V2.2 :biggrin:

I saw that Wes Bard posted on the Dev Blog Thread that they where hoping to get it out next week. That post I believe was on

the 28th. So hopefully this week :lol:

By the way Rob, Was that last video 24fps or 30fps?

And the magic setting was an Inspector setting rather than a P3D setting?

Here are my new set of settings: http://robainscough....Settings_2.html

These are very similar to the ones I have w/ the exception of

• AA mode=Override has worked best, rather than enhanced for me
  • AA setting=8xS  (solves nasty effects on inside cockpits shadow, over using SUPERVCAA_64x_8x which looked best for AA but led to odd shadows.  8xS includes 4xMS I believe, so transparency is set at enabled, and there is no need for supersampling, though SGSS 2x is quite easy on performance too I find.
  • Aniso in NI is set to Off/user defined, 16x in sim

It must have been losing SGSS 4x that was the magic change Rob?  I know you were quite focused on that and I had discover some time ago that took its took on total fluidity.  I think this was the 'restriction' I was assuming was the case as I've had fluid smooth going in 2.1 most of the time and wondered what all the fuss was about stuttering.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

By the way Rob, Was that last video 24fps or 30fps?

And the magic setting was an Inspector setting rather than a P3D setting?

The video was recorded at 30 fps (Fraps set to lock recording) so the fluidity is actually even better than in my video because I was never below about 42 fps (when not recording).

Yes the secret setting was changing nVidia Inspector from 4X SGSS to 4X SS.  Wes had indicated they had done some AA removal for clouds in my build, but I wasn't seeing the benefits from it ... clouds would just kill my fps.  That's why I made this video with many clouds (especially cumulus) and max cloud density -- I wanted to see how AA settings were responding to clouds. You can see the slight compromise in AA here, but for a 90% boost in performance, I'm going to have to retire SGSS AA override setting for now.

If I turn Water back to "High" rather than Ultra and turn my Vegetation Autogen back to Very Dense, I can sustain a solid 60+ fps.

Cheers, Rob.

Amazing work Rob, v2.2 is shaping up to be the Prepard3D we all wanted!

My only question regarding your settings is your Texture Resolution is set at 1m, doesn't this spoil the likes of FTX Region or FTX Airport ground textures which are supposed to be set to 15cm/7cm resolution?

Thanks

MSFS & XP11 - Aviatek G1000 Complex Desktop Trainer - Fulcrum One Yoke - TPR Rudder Pedals - VF TQ6 Throttle - LG 55" OLED Display

Amazing video Rob! Really beautiful!

This have probably been mentioned before, but are you using any aftermarket clouds?

Cheers

doesn't this spoil the likes of FTX Region or FTX Airport ground textures which are supposed to be set to 15cm/7cm resolution?

That's what Orbx recommend ... I think I have tested out those settings but didn't notice a difference in quality.  I can try again if you like and report back later this evening.

This have probably been mentioned before, but are you using any aftermarket clouds?

Yes, REX 4 Textures ... at 2048/2048 -- cloud set = Set 12 Cirro - Cumulus (high level) and Set 7 - Cumulus Congestus (low level)

That's what Orbx recommend ... I think I have tested out those settings but didn't notice a difference in quality.  I can try again if you like and report back later this evening.

No hurry mate, not a big deal.

Certainly can't see any major drop in ground textures on your video - but yeah Orbx does recommend 15cm / 7cm ground texture res in its FTX product manuals

MSFS & XP11 - Aviatek G1000 Complex Desktop Trainer - Fulcrum One Yoke - TPR Rudder Pedals - VF TQ6 Throttle - LG 55" OLED Display