Sign in to follow this  

P3DV2.2 Beta 2 info/video

Well, this thread has single handedly convinced me to give P3D another try.  Downloading all of my FSX/ P3D add ons right now and will download the 2.2 update sometime this week if it comes out.  

Well, this thread has single handedly convinced me to give P3D another try.

Really!... how come?... but, its all about how to fly a C172, and TRS-80's and clouds... I think you have the wrong thread :lol:

That's on single particle effect, multiple that by 1000's (maybe even 10,000 or more) and then add shadow calculations and a world environment ... even in that video as it rotates a frozen frame I see "stutters" ;)

I'm not really disagreeing with those opinions of clouds (rotation and how they look) but I do know what kind of processing requirements would be needed to "solve" the problem ... and that's just not available today or near future. 

Cheers, Rob.

Dont' know if it'll make a huge difference in performance -  but from what I understand (I was looking at flameworks the other day) Nvidia FlameWorks don't use particles, they use fluid simulations and a volume rendering engine.

I don't want to start an argument, have you seen  this demo before, Rob?

Talking about realtime cloud and atmosphere rendering, why not LM just use this:

http://sundog-soft.com/sds/features/real-time-3d-clouds/

its being used in the other flightsim also.

Geez, wonders never cease!  Yes, what is the reason LM would not [be able or willing] be using this?

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Geez, wonders never cease!  Yes, what is the reason LM would not [be able or willing] be using this?

LM already licenses a Sundog Software SDK for the wave animation (Triton) in P3d2. Look here:

<drive>:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\3rd Party\TritonResources.

Sundog is also the author of the cloud and sky replacement engine SkyMAXX Pro for XP10.

Sundog is also the author of the cloud and sky replacement engine SkyMAXX Pro for XP10.

Do you know how end users of XP10x find the cloud/weather rendering quality?

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Whoa, I dunno this thread conversation seems drifting to me at times....(quite funny).

Rob, Thanks for all the awesome videos, just a quick question prior to 2.2 release---

Are the beta you are receiving from LM, are the updates like normal patches (just copy the file and delete the old shaders) or is it recommended to uninstall p3d 2.1-hotfix1 and install the new full 2.2 when it is out?

Thanks,

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Whoa, I dunno this thread conversation seems drifting to me at times....(quite funny).

Rob, Thanks for all the awesome videos, just a quick question prior to 2.2 release---

Are the beta you are receiving from LM, are the updates like normal patches (just copy the file and delete the old shaders) or is it recommended to uninstall p3d 2.1-hotfix1 and install the new full 2.2 when it is out?

Thanks,

To me it appears as if this new version would justify it to go the long way: completely uninstall everthing and start clean right from the start.

If, however, it is only a patch and all the installed add-ons can be kept alive I wouldn't complain either ^_^

IXEG 737 Beta-Tester and First Officer

i7 6700K@4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, Palit GTX 1080 GameRock Premium@2Ghz, Oculus Rift S, ButtKicker
X-Plane 11 latedt version on a Samsung M.2 SSD for speedy loading times

Skywolf,

I actually asked a similar question earlier in the thread (can't blame anyone for missing it, this has been a long topic!) - he reports that he's actually receiving them as simple updated .exe and .dll files which overwrite the existing ones, and then follows the standard "update" process of removing the programdata and appdata files.

I wondered this same thing myself because I currently do not have P3D installed, and I was curious if I should get a jump start by installing v2.1 and then patch when its released, or if I should install v2.2 from a native installer - just not sure if I want to burn through bandwidth unnecessarily. I kicked off a new thread about updating in place, because I do have some questions about that process and how 3rd party addons hold up.

-Greg

Do you know how end users of XP10x find the cloud/weather rendering quality?

I can answer this since I have XPX installed and use it regularly.  There is an add on called Skymaxx Pro that has an excellent rendering engine... no weird gray out effects or anything.  They do not look quite as photogenic as say... REX (when I look at REX it looks like someone took an HD picture... which I believe is essentially what it is).

The weather engine... needs a bit of an overhaul to put it kindly.  There is no decent weather injector as of right now, which makes for some interesting experiences.

I can answer this since I have XPX installed and use it regularly.  There is an add on called Skymaxx Pro that has an excellent rendering engine... no weird gray out effects or anything.  They do not look quite as photogenic as say... REX (when I look at REX it looks like someone took an HD picture... which I believe is essentially what it is).

The weather engine... needs a bit of an overhaul to put it kindly.  There is no decent weather injector as of right now, which makes for some interesting experiences.

OK, well from this I take it Skymaxx Pro's cloud/weather image quality might have room for improvement, so it's not really a no-brainer to switch at this point for P3D it would seem.  Thanks for that!

Noel

OK, well from this I take it Skymaxx Pro's cloud/weather image quality might have room for improvement, so it's not really a no-brainer to switch at this point for P3D it would seem.  Thanks for that!

I like and enjoy both.  Not lesser quality necessarily, just different.  All depends on your taste.

Where is P3D 2.2 !?! :)

Looks like I didn't link the cloud billboard process and how I believe it works: http://www.markmark.net/clouds/ old article but still in use.

Here is a link to a description of the technology used by Microsoft complete with maths.

The PDF was written by Niniane Wang, the lady responsible for Fs2004's cloud system and which forms the basis of what we have today.

http://ofb.net/~eggplant/clouds/

http://ofb.net/~niniane/clouds-jgt.pdf

Where is P3D 2.2 !?! :)

Where it always has been, on LM's website  http://www.prepar3d.com/news/2014/04/4944/ ... so stop the phalafel (that's a technical term) in this thread and go get it. :)

And yes, they have already started work on v2.3 and it will have some improvements that folks have asked for.  So before you get worried about their silence for the next few months, I can assure you they are working to continue moving the platform forward.

Cheers, Rob.

The PDF was written by Niniane Wang,

Thanks, I remember reading those, just couldn't remember the links.