Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

01APR14 - PMDG 777-200LR/F Feature Preview - WX RADAR

You know what'll make everyone happy?

Port it to the NGX.

No guarantees but I suspect this will happen.

We have to buy the HIFI as a separate expansion for this to work?

Yes, ASN is required (for now at least) Also, just to head this off before anyone starts up with it - you don't *have* to do anything. The 777 was not sold advertising a weather radar - this is a free gift if you will that comes with the service pack. Our position on not being able to do this with the default FSX weather has not changed, regardless of the claims of any other developer. When you see the 777's radar it will be immediately apparent that it's doing something different than the others that are out there.

Wow, what a cool feature

......and I hope Damian Clark can implement this feature so that the updated ASN weather package (including this new feature) can run on a second PC, downloading the weather from the HiFi servers, massaging the data prior to sending it over the network connection, only to be injected into the PMDG 777 ND display directly, or via another module.

Anything  that can be off-loaded to a 2nd PC should help minimize the resource load on the PC running FSX or P3D?

ASN, coupled with either the PMDG 737 or 777 is combination that is unbeatable...................realistic weather makes sim flying so immersive. With PFPX for flight planning, it doesn't get any better than this!

Bill Clark

Bill, I've noticed little to no performance hit from use of the radar. You can make ASN run on a different CPU core than the FSX main thread already if you'd like.

Hi robert, quick question, i notice the seems to have what appears to be an auto tilt function (am i mistaking the A for something else?), but will it also have the option to look at weather at a selectable Flight Level instead of an angle, or is that a different model radar?

Secondly, will it depict windshear and show its alert and FD guidance?

All of the controls of the real radar unit are present - tilt, gain, the different mode switches etc. The auto tilt function can be switched off and you can tilt the radar beam to whatever angle you'd like. (and yes it works - if you tilt the beam out of the path of where the precipitation actually is in 3D space, you're not going to see anything on the ND. Real radars do not show you a single altitude across the entire display as you've described here - radar is always an expanding cone shape that shows a particular volume of 3D space. This is just the physics of electromagnetic radiation. (inverse square law etc)

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

HOPEFULLY, Rob is okay with me posting this.... I took this after going back into BIKF from a test flight. It was just a bit SCT/BKN when I left - but when I got back, it went to OVC and showers. As I approached the front, well, this is what it looked like:

13572982773_98d9c25853_h.jpg

It WORKS. No frame loss either. I cannot wait to use it for some high altitude weather dodging! 

Hello Robert,

first of all thanks for the amazing news, second a question.

Is there any chance that this WXR and datalink thing can be later implemented on a 737 service pack? I know for sure that is not your priority right now and its easy to understand why, but what I am asking is that if it is a possibility for the future and if the way that the 737NGX was done and built, allows those expansions to be added to the current 737 platform without having to change it and taking even longer.

Best regards,

Gonçalo Gonçalves

Real radars do not show you a single altitude across the entire display as you've described here - radar is always an expanding cone shape that shows a particular volume of 3D space. This is just the physics of electromagnetic radiation. (inverse square law etc)

I understand i was talking about what is seen in this video at 4:07

I guess its a different model radar than what you are modeling? either way im happy

Awesome can't wait.  This will add more stuff to do in the cockpit during those 12 hour flights.  

Any chance of somehow interfacing data uplink with the VATSIM servers?

I guess its a different model radar than what you are modeling? either way im happy

Yes, Air Canada along with some other 777 operators have the Honeywell weather radar (RDR-4000 with Intervue3D), the one that PMDG have decided to model is the Collins WXR2100 (which is more popular compared to the more expensive Honeywell system).

WXR-2100 Control Panel:

NewRadarControlPanel.jpg

RDR-4000 Control Panel:

2a8kpzt.png

Yes, Air Canada along with some other 777 operators have the Honeywell weather radar (RDR-4000 with Intervue3D), the one that PMDG have decided to model is the Collins WXR2100 (which is more popular compared to the more expensive Honeywell system).

Thank you James

Outstanding PMDG........thanks

Kin M.

(Klax)

We rolled this out to our beta testers last week, and they are in love with it.

Does that mean the SP1 or the 777-300ER or only the WX RADAR ?

I'm not sure how that could work physically unless it's something that composites scans at multiple tilts or something like that. If you're at say FL280 and you set this thing to FL380, the beam would have to go out a certain distance in front of the airplane before it would ever get high enough to show FL380 for instance.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

A quick question.Would it work if Asn is on a different computer ?

Clinton Royston Fernandes.

Vabb-Mumbai India.