Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

01APR14 - PMDG 777-200LR/F Feature Preview - WX RADAR

Planning on it when I get home.  Made a presentation to describe how it works (and fend off some of the "it's not doing what it's supposed to be doing" posts), and I'll add a second one in the sim, too, as I did with my SID/STARs videos.

Form of a video? :) I do enjoy them.

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

Form of a video?

Yes to both.

...unless Froogle beats me to it.  His would look better anyway - haha.

Kyle Rodgers

Yes to both.

...unless Froogle beats me to it.  His would look better anyway - haha.

Quick question, I'm not sure if it's possible, maybe the video will explain it, but is the turbulence WX mode modeled?

BetaTeamD.png

Probably, though I'm relatively certain nobody will read it.

Most of the reason for all of the public announcement of SP2 for the NGX was to take advantage of the lessons learned and improvements in the 777 and roll them back into the NGX.  So, that being said, last I heard, it's being considered (Tabs posted something to that effect somewhere on the forum in the last day or so).

Yes.  This is in one of those update threads:

SP1 has to fix all of the issues in the base 200LR before the 300ER gets added on top of it.  It wouldn't make sense to release an expansion on top of something that isn't fixed.

...which is funny, because it hasn't come out yet.  Are you in posession of a DeLorean that has been highly modified?  Just because the Beta team produces a video showing that it works doesn't mean that it's perfect.  You need look no further than the fact that I had a video showing the 777 in beta stage and we all know it wasn't perfect.

I don't doubt it can be done (there's an old MD80 out there that does it).  I'm just saying don't count your chickens before they hatch.  It's not as simple as a lot of people think it it (otherwise, you'd see it in more add-ons).

Really?  Last I checked, it isn't "fully working."  It's just like all of the other "weather radars" out there, like the RXP version that's been around forever.  Sure, it puts pretty colors on your ND, but I've flown through some depicted cells and stayed completely dry.  That's not weather radar...

Well funnily enough I know how well they work as I am a beta tester for Majestic? The WXR radar of course isnt perfect because nothing in this world is? It works outstandingly and I see no problems with it, As for the shared cockpit I have no issues with it? I have tested it for many hours with many other testers, one beta tester being above this post known as Matt Davies (Belynz) who streams them. 

Well funnily enough I know how well they work as I am a beta tester for Majestic?

Nice.  No way for me to know that, so I had to assume you were just some random poster who was just regurgitating the hype someone else drummed up.

The WXR radar of course isnt perfect because nothing in this world is? It works outstandingly and I see no problems with it,

Seeing no problems with it doesn't mean it's accurately modeled.  What you're getting in that plane (at least as far as I've experienced) is the same level of cloud finder we've seen in the community for about a decade.  That's FS9 technology there.  It's not at all accurate.

As for the shared cockpit I have no issues with it? I have tested it for many hours with many other testers, one beta tester being above this post known as Matt Davies (Belynz) who streams them.

Good to know.  Still, this shouldn't be used as some assertion that it's easily implemented and that developers are behind the curve for not implementing it.

Kyle Rodgers

I have to say, wonderful news. Thank you very much!

A delight to hear that we have a properly functioning weather radar - this will truly raise the bar on realism, especially for an already realistic product. I am keen to find out more!

I downloaded ASN trial, which ran out months ago... so I believe this forces me to make the purchase for Active Sky Next. Very well done, both HiFi and PMDG. 

After that seemingly 'April Fool' post, I thought that we'd never have such additions to the PMDG 777-200LR/F, turns out I was dead wrong. I'm sorry that I still haven't bought this product, but depending on financing, it may have to wait for the start of summer holidays or Christmas (I think my graphics card is dying).

Again, thank you very much for the update; hopefully putting certain 'threads' to bed.

Why do folks still say the Q400 has a realistic weather radar? It's akin to the Leonardo Maddog's way of "making clouds appear" on the N.D.

BetaTeamD.png

Port it to the 737 NGX! Summer travel season is almost upon us, and there will be storms over the United States!

Thank you guys at PMDG, you have made me purchase ASN, WOW, what a program! Easily the best weather program I have used in FSX!

Looking forward to the 77W and upcoming SP1 for the LR/LRF!!

Haha, knew that yesterday. It was too good to be false, and it would be time costly to photoshop whole wx radar image just for 1. april joke.

It was too good to be false, and it would be time costly to photoshop whole wx radar image just for 1. april joke.

haha - you'd think, but it doesn't take too long.  After all, I'm the guy who photoshopped my dog onto the ND leading up to the -200LR release.

ND.jpg

(for anyone wondering who I call "Homeslice" in my videos, that's who it is...Indee is his real name, though he rarely ever gets called that...)

Kyle Rodgers

Okay- more information on some of the other new features in just a bit!

How long is that in PMDG terms?

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Yusuf Keyre

Awesome work captain, and kudos to Damian, Kostas and Alex for bringing such innovative work to the PMDG  T7 product..

Troy

Troy Kemp

Win 11 64 Pro on 1TB nvme + 500GB ssd  / P3Dv5.3+ on 1TB nvme+ 250GB with P3D addons / MS2020 2TB nvme /I9 13900K@ 5.8ghz / 32GB DDR4 3600mhz / MSI MPG Z690 DDR4 with wifi / RTX 4090FE