Hi everyone,

I think this is probably the first time I've actually posted on the avsim forums, despite having been a member for several years!

Anyway, I'm really hoping that someone may be able to help with some ideas, or even better a solution to my problem, because it's driving me mad!

Basically, in the last few days I've suddenly started having a problem with FSX that I've never had before - when I switch between full screen and windowed mode, or even when I minimise FSX and then open up the window again, or return to the main window after going into a menu item like Aircraft settings etc, I'm getting a variety of weird graphics glitches. The graphics oddities are wide ranging, and include the following:

1. completely black screen

2. scenery partly or completely disappears, leaving just ground visible

3. part of the virtual cockpit becomes invisible (usually the MCP and floor)

4. the FSX menu bar becomes invisible

5. The sky goes black, but clouds are still visible

6. The ground goes white, and the sky goes black

I've never had this issue before. I'm running an EVGA GTX 780 card on a Windows 7 64bit system. This graphics issue happens both with the latest NVidia drivers, and the previous one. I'm also running a dual screen set up, but this problem occurs whether I have one or two screens set up.

I have tried uninstalling the graphics drivers completely, and doing a complete clean reinstall. I've got the UIautomationcore.dll file in place, I'm also using an unmodified fsx.cfg file. Don't have ENB installed, and am not using DX10 in FSX.

The machine is a core i7-4930k, overclocked to 4.4ghz, on an Asus Rampage Formula IV board, with 16gb of DDR3 so it's not a resource issue (I hope).

Has anyone encountered similar issues? Is there a fix for this problem? I'd be really grateful for any advice - I really don't want to go through the pain of reinstalling FSX if I can avoid it!

Appreciate any help,

Tim

Does it happen at the start of your flight or after a certain time?  Any recent computer maintenance done, as in fan cleaning, blowing out the dust from inside the case.  Anything that might be blocking your computer's cooling vents?  Make sure your graphics card fan is running.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply - it happens right from the beginning of a flight, at the gate during cockpit prep - I only built this PC about 6 weeks ago - no problems with the graphics card and no cooling problems so I'm pretty sure it's not an overheating issue, but interesting point - I'll keep an eye on temps.

Cheers,

Tim

Remove the uiautomationcore.dll from your main FSX folder. You are seeing memory starvation and the uiautomationcore.dll comes with the Microsoft.net framework packages that developers use to manage the proper operation of their product, including memory management. the uiautomationcore.dll is part of the dotnet package and is responsible for memory management. If you have the wrong version of the uiautomationcore.dll in your main FSX folder, this could cause this problem. In addition, make sure your monitors are being properly identified in the Fsx.cfg.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I think you may have the answer here Jim - this would make perfect sense, as my problem seemed to start after I installed the Aerosoft Airbus X Extended add-on, which uses the dot net framework as you describe. Unfortunately I didn't see your post before I uninstalled Airbus X, but I'll try your suggestion tomorrow and am hopeful that this is the key to the graphics issues.

Really grateful for your help - I'm glad I posted here!

Kind regards,

Tim

Are you using ENB or SweetFX? That often leads to a black screen if I alt-enter more than a couple times for me (especially using demanding addon aircraft or scenery).

Unfortunately I'm still getting this issue, despite having deleted the uiautomationcore.dll file from my FSX root folder. This is absolutely baffling, and quite frustrating - I'm really not looking forward to the prospect of uninstalling all my addons and reinstalling FSX from scratch!

Any further suggestions would be gratefully received! :)

Interesting discussion.  Not to highjack the tread but hopefully add to it...I don't have all the problems listed above but mine is restricted to two things.

1. Alt Enter in and out of full screen mode will sometimes result in black screen and/or loss of the menu bar, the only way to recover is to restart FSX.

2. I use two monitors, and sometimes if I switch between the two monitors and back I get a blank, black screen and can not recover except restart FSX.

In both situations I can still hear my plane flying but I have no scenery and menu.

The comment on ENB is interesting, I wonder now if that's the issue.

Bryan

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Hi Bryan,

The issues you describe are very similar to those I'm experiencing. As I mentioned in my original post, I don't use ENB, so I can rule that out, although I accept it may be an issue for you if you use it.

Just out of curiosity, I thought I'd see if I get the same problems in DX10 mode, and guess what - I don't! In fact, FSX is running flawlessly in DX10 mode, and I can switch between windowed and full screen modes, as well as minimise and maximise, without any graphics problems at all. This is very surreal indeed, although I'm really hoping someone will read this and know exactly what the cause is. I'm happy to fly in DX10 mode if it means I don't get these issues, but there's still a lot of scenery and addons that don't like DX10 mode very much, so I'll have problems before too long.

Determined not to reinstall FSX, I've now gone through and uninstalled various things one by one, such as UT2 and EZDok. I also let FSX build a new cfg and dll file to see if that cleared the issue (it didn't).

Perhaps I will end up doing a complete reinstall, but I'm worried I'll end up with exactly the same issue again, if I can't find the reason behind it. As such, I'd be really grateful for any further suggestions!

Are you enabling/disabling DX10 Preview by starting up FSX, going into settings and then enabling/disabling, then restarting FSX? Or, are you opening up your FSX config and changing the DX10 line from an 0 to a 1 and vice-versa? Or, are you using Steve's DX10 Fixer to enable/disable? You should only enable/disable by using the first option. I am not sure what will occur if you use the other two versions. I have enabled/disabled by opening the Fsx.cfg but have never encountered the problems you are having. Still, the "official" way is to start up FSX and change it in the settings.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Jim,

Yes I enabled it using the first option, within FSX, and then restarting. Just to clarify, the DX10 mode was not the cause of my problems - the issues I reported were happening in DX9 mode - I just enabled DX10 mode out of curiosity as part of my troubleshooting to see if the same thing happened. As I said, running in DX10 mode, everything appears to be fine, but this doesn't explain why I was getting the graphics issues in DX9 mode.

Thanks for the suggestions and help so far,

Kind regards,

Tim

On my end I don't use FX10 preview.  Mine is solely without.  I could try DX10 but I don't want any other issues related to scenery addons not worked as expected.

I also am using a freeware product called FSX-borderless.  I can't see how that might affect things but perhaps it is the issue. 

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Hi everyone,

I'm experiencing the very same issues that mfy1989 mentioned. I'm getting really upset with this situation, and i've been searching for a solution, which has not been found yet. So, in your opinion, what should i do ?

If i activate DX10 in FSX, after I restart, when I select free flight, FSX crashes.

Cheers,

Francisco