Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

Prepar3D 2.2 Released!

I do agree, we'll need a new FSUIPC from Pete for 2.2 when he returns -- assuming of course he wants to continue supporting P3DV2.x (can't imagine he doesn't given his cockpit setup and amazing dedication to Flight Simulation).

Orbx airports that use ObjectFlow are not yet compatible with P3D2.x . . .

I just got Orbx NA Blue Southern Alaska and NA PAYA Yakutat Airport ... not in the compatibility list yet but is being advertised as P3DV2 compatible.  Will test out tonight.

Also, with Orbx it's key to keep the common libraries updated ... sadly Orbx don't really "advertise" updates, especially very important ones that could save them a ton of support threads.

Cheers, Rob.

assuming of course he wants to continue supporting P3DV2.x

Pete is a long time Radar Contact user, so I would guess it will not be long to wait for an updated module

I thought adding Affinity Mask to 2.2 making use all four CPU cores, was helping my terrain loading, but doing some testing has shown me just how much...

With a saved flight scenario and then Slewing straight ahead for ten seconds [Joystick full forward] and then timing how long it takes to bring to terrain resolution to its maximum is as follows.

No Affinity [JOBSCHEDULER]  = 50+ seconds... it takes 40+ seconds to see any terrain loading.

Then using [JOBSCHEDULER]... AffinityMask=15, so all four cores = 3 seconds.... yes, 3 seconds!!!!

I've repeated this multiple times now, just to be sure, and the result is always the same... Forcing all four cores with 2.2 in the cfg makes an incredible difference to terrain loading for me.

I can add the Fibre Frame Time fraction at .10 cfg line, and still get the same result... in fact with AM=15 and FFTF=0.10 I can't make the terrain lose its definition to any great degree, no matter how hard (fast I fly) I try.

If you have a four core CPU give a [JOBSCHEDULER] Affinity Mast=15 a try and see if you get a similar result.

Tests using FTX NCA – Near Rogers Airfield with Ant's Tiger Moth.

I don't want to get in huge amounts of tweaking, but simply adding one change [two lines] to the cfg is a night and day change for me.

My settings.

[GRAPHICS]
TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024
NUM_LIGHTS=4
MIPMAP_VC_PANELS=0
TESSELLATION=1
COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1
AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1
LANDING_LIGHTS=0
DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=1
LENSFLARE=1
HDR=1
BLOOM_LEVEL=2
SHADOW_QUALITY=2
TERRAIN_SHADOW_CAST_DISTANCE=2
CLOUD_SHADOW_CAST_DISTANCE=2
OBJECT_SHADOW_CAST_DISTANCE=2
CONTENT_NO_SHADOW=0
INTERIOR_SHADOWS_CAST=1
EXTERIOR_SHADOWS_CAST=1
SIMOBJECT_SHADOWS_CAST=0
TERRAIN_SHADOWS_CAST=1
VEGETATION_SHADOWS_CAST=0
BUILDING_SHADOWS_CAST=1
CLOUD_SHADOWS_CAST=1
INTERIOR_SHADOWS_RECEIVE=1
EXTERIOR_SHADOWS_RECEIVE=1
SIMOBJECT_SHADOWS_RECEIVE=0
TERRAIN_SHADOWS_RECEIVE=1
VEGETATION_SHADOWS_RECEIVE=1
BUILDING_SHADOWS_RECEIVE=1
SHADOW_NUM_CASCADES_LOW=4
SHADOW_NUM_CASCADES_MID=5
SHADOW_NUM_CASCADES_HIGH=7
SHADOW_NUM_CASCADES_ULTRA=12
SHADOW_LOG_PARTITION_LOW=0.850000
SHADOW_LOG_PARTITION_MID=0.850000
SHADOW_LOG_PARTITION_HIGH=0.850000
SHADOW_LOG_PARTITION_ULTRA=0.850000
EFFECTS_QUALITY=1
EFFECTS_DISTANCE=1
[DISPLAY]
SKINNED_ANIMATIONS=1
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=60
UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=30
TEXTURE_FILTERING=16
MSAA=8
SSAA=4
FXAA=0
VSYNC=1
TRIPLE_BUFFER=1
WideViewAspect=0
FullScreenExclusive=1
FullScreenAutoFill=1
[PANELS]
PANEL_OPACITY=0
[sCENERY]
IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=5
[TERRAIN]
LOD_RADIUS=6.500000
TESSELLATION_FACTOR=85
MESH_RESOLUTION=23
TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=27
AUTOGEN_VEGETATION_DENSITY=4
AUTOGEN_BUILDING_DENSITY=3
DETAIL_TEXTURE=1
WATER_REFLECT_CLOUDS=1
WATER_REFLECT_USERAIRCRAFT=1
WATER_REFLECT_SIMOBJECTS=1
WATER_REFLECT_TERRAIN=1
WATER_REFLECT_AUTOGEN_VEGETATION=1
WATER_REFLECT_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS=1
WATER_REFRACT_CLOUDS=0
WATER_REFRACT_USERAIRCRAFT=0
WATER_REFRACT_SIMOBJECTS=0
WATER_REFRACT_TERRAIN=0
WATER_REFRACT_AUTOGEN_VEGETATION=0
WATER_REFRACT_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS=0
ENABLE_BATHYMETRY=0
WATER_CLARITY=30
WATER_DETAIL=3
[WEATHER]
CLOUD_DRAW_DISTANCE=5
DETAILED_CLOUDS=1
OPTIMIZE_DENSE_CLOUDS=0
CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY=8
THERMAL_VISUALS=0
DownloadWindsAloft=0
DisableTurbulence=0
DynamicWeather=2
VolumetricFog=1
[TrafficManager]
AirlineDensity=20
GADensity=25
FreewayDensity=15
ShipsAndFerriesDensity=25
LeisureBoatsDensity=25
IFROnly=0
AIRPORT_SCENERY_DENSITY=1
[AContain]
ShowLabels=0
ShowUserLabel=0
ShowLabelManufacturer=1
ShowLabelModel=1
ShowLabelTailNumber=0
ShowLabelDistance=1
ShowLabelAltitude=1
ShowLabelAirline=0
ShowLabelAirlineAndFlightNumber=0
ShowLabelFlightPlan=0
ShowLabelContainerId=0
ShowLabelAirspeed=0
ShowLabelHeading=0
LabelDelay=1000
LabelColor=FFFF0000

Had one problem as I added my old dll.xml back to get addons going again. I found that the Multicrew Experience FSinsider.dll will caase P3D to crash with an error on startup. Looks like that will have to be updated as well for V2.2. So anyone else who was using MCE, be aware of this potential "fail to start" problem.

Please download and replace fsInsider.dll in \Prepar3D v2\ folder, and the sim should work.

There are minor things to adjust ATC wise on the MCE side. Hopefully, next update will be fully P3D V2.2 ready.

http://www.multicrew..._V2_2_Ready.zip

If you have a four core CPU give a [JOBSCHEDULER] Affinity Mast=15 a try and see if you get a similar result.

With my 4-core 4770K, OC at 4.2 MHz, my FPS in P3D v2,2 drop considerably if I add the AffinityMask tweak.  I originally added those lines, as they improved my FPS in the other P3D v2.x versions . . . but version 2.2 runs better (for me) with the default cfg settings.  I am also no longer using VSYNC (nor TRIPLE_BUFFER=1) in v.2.2 . . . which has also improved my FPS. My changes has increased my FPS by 25 to 30 percent.

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

I took a quick flight over Concrete, PNW this morning in the Real Air Duke. Using Rob's settings and heavy cloud cover I had consistent 30-40 FPS and very smooth. Actually, my settings are a little different from Rob's. I am using 4x SGSS in NI (the Duke cockpit shimmers too much without it) and1920x1080 screen resolution, but everything else is the same. I have a 3570k at 4.3 and a 780 GPU. As Rob has noted, terrain shadow casting is a FPS killer. Mine dropped about 10 FPS with it enabled at the first level on the slider, but was still an acceptable 20-25 FPS. Still, I'm very happy at being able to run autogen at very dense, and the cloud shadows more than make up for my choice to disable terrain shadows. LM has done an amazing job, and I can't wait to see what 2.3 brings.

How about improving the default ATC system.  The visuals at this point can be taken care of with third party add-ons.  It's now time to address items like further refining the internal FDE system.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

With my 4-core 4770K, OC at 4.2 MHz, my FPS in P3D v2,2 drop considerably if I add the AffinityMask tweak.

Thanks Arwen... :smile:

One thing... I'm not talking about frame rates here... and that is not affected in my case, one way or another. This is purely Terrain loading speed, whch is vastly different when adding it to the CFG.

I would not expect totally different systems to behave in the same way, but its worth trying if you find the terrain strugging to keep up with your flying speed.

BTW I am using v-sync and triple buffering.

How about improving the default ATC system.  The visuals at this point can be taken care of with third party add-ons.  It's now time to address items like further refining the internal FDE system.

This. After they improve the visuals and optimise the performance as much as possible, they need to look into improving some of the core functions.

Have they changed the flight planner, because the one in FSX has a very old feel to it and is hard to use. Definitely has no place in a 2013 application.

Hotfix for flight planner crash has been posted: http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=6453

Nope... cant download it... search engine just keeps searching and no action...sigh

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug 

One thing... I'm not talking about frame rates here... and that is not affected in my case, one way or another.

Interesting, definitely seems to be related to difference in processors.  What I've noticed on terrain engine not keeping up is based heavily on Orbx Vector 1.1 settings and my current location ... high road traffic density will cause the terrain engine threads to fall behind.

As far as pure FPS:

Affinity  6/6 CPU @ 4.2Ghz

1364 (default for my CPU): 44-45

4092: 40-41

4095: 38-40

Affinity 6/6 Core @ 4.8Ghz

1364 (default for my CPU): 44-46

4092: 40-42

4095: 38-41

Didn't notice any difference in terrain HiRes texture loading.

600Mhz CPU bump got me a whopping ... drum roll ... 1 fps (at most) which tells me I'm very much GPU limited now.  Which tells me SLi support should help.

Cheers, Rob.

I do agree, we'll need a new FSUIPC from Pete for 2.2 when he returns -- assuming of course he wants to continue supporting P3DV2.x (can't imagine he doesn't given his cockpit setup and amazing dedication to Flight Simulation).

I just got Orbx NA Blue Southern Alaska and NA PAYA Yakutat Airport ... not in the compatibility list yet but is being advertised as P3DV2 compatible. Will test out tonight.

Also, with Orbx it's key to keep the common libraries updated ... sadly Orbx don't really "advertise" updates, especially very important ones that could save them a ton of support threads.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob, if you have access to the Orbx forums, you can "follow" it and get warnings when updates are released. I get emails as soon as they announce a new version in the "new Release Announcement" thread and I can download straight away. Highly recommend it.

Sent from my Mobile thing

Nope... cant download it... search engine just keeps searching and no action...sigh

Academic and Professional users use this link:

http://cloud.prepar3d.com/patch/prepar3d_academic_professional_(flight_planner_dlls).zip

Professional Plus users use this link:http://cloud.prepar3d.com/patch/prepar3d_professional_plus_(flight_planner_dlls).zip

To install the patch, either unzip it directly into your Prepar3D v2 installation directory and overwrite the files, or unzip it to a temporary directory, then copy or move the files into your Prepar3D v2 installation directory, being sure to overwrite each file.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Rob, if you have access to the Orbx forums, you can "follow" it and get warnings when updates are released.

I did that for the Libraries, but then that link got moved.   I'll just have to keep updating my follows.

Cheers, Rob.

I get emails as soon as they announce a new version in the "new Release Announcement" thread and I can download straight away. Highly recommend it.

I'll try that thread.  Thanks!

EDIT:  For example

This thread is the actual place you want to go to get the latest Libraries for P3DV2: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/76785-orbxlibs-140405-all-versions/

NOT this thread: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/74032-orbxlibs-140201-for-p3dv2/ ... 

that is listed in the P3DV2 Compatibility list here: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/68566-master-list-of-all-p3d2-ready-orbx-products/ (which was just updated today)

Orbx products are great, but their forum threads are a hot mess, no wonder so many get the wrong or mis-matched versions.

Cheers, Rob.