Sign in to follow this  
tompie

FS2004 and Nvidia GTX 760/780

Hi Avsimmers, don't know exactly if I'm at the right pace for my topic. But maybe anyone can be of some help.

I decided to boost up my XP pro sp3/32 bit, with FS9.1 running on it.

So now I have an SSD(250 Gb) for XP pro/Gigabyte H77 D3H/4x1 Gb RAM[patched], 1333Mhz/ intel i7 3770 s 1155/500Gb 2nd drive for fs9.1  For graphics I choose Msi GTX 760 twinfrozr gaming. Updated Bios, updated graphic drivers.

So far so good.

After installing FS9.1 I get a weird graphic problem, i.e. the textures on the aircraft show different brighness, sometimes the belly, sometime the door. The C172 shows a very [too] bright white door on the left side -just the door, the rest is normal, and is correctly shown on the right side. Sorry don't know where and how to upload a picture.

To check things I changed to the onboard Intel graphic driver on the mobo. Here no problem with the display of aircraft textures, everything shows up as should be.

Second check was using another msi graphic card, I used the msi GTX 780 twinfrozr gaming. But it gives the same trouble as the GTX 760. Next I placed both cards in a win7pro/64 bit set up. No problem whatsoever there.

questions:

1- anybody experiencing the same trouble?

2- are these GTX card "too good" for FS9.1 and XP 32bit?

3- if not,  any idea what's wrong - Ram speed too low for these graphic cards?

4- suggestions what graphic card to use that displays correctly?

Thanks in advance

Tompie

Do not use a 32bit operating system with cards like that, you will see worse performance.  you need a 64bit operating system.  

Your card takes up system memory, as I am sure you are aware 32bit severely limits available memory.

for FS9 or FSX your best option is Win7 64bit.  Make sure to install FS9 or FSX out of the Programs x86 folder.  Put it on the root drive

Regards

Rob Prest

Before trying a new OS I would look at some older GPU drivers.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

I decided to boost up my XP pro sp3/32 bit

There is your problem, Flex is correct these cards need a modern OS, under XP the whole of the Vram is shadowed in RAM.

XP also does not have trim support for your SSD's.

You have a 64bit CPU that would benefit from a 64bit OS

Basically you are trying to run modern components on a seriously outdated operating system.

Thanks guys for the input. And yes I'm aware of the limitations although XP runs fine on the ssd and trim can be done by samsungs magician. The funny thing is though that nvidia still is producing win xp32 bit drivers for both videocards, at least until the end of last year and they include compatibility with xp sp3/32 bit.

I gave it a try because I'm unhappy with the promised backwards compatibility of software like FS 2004 and add ons  around it, when running them in win7 and win 8. But it's quite clear that a choice has to be made.

Thanks,

Tompie

Actually I run a 780 on a 64 bit OS and have the same issues. I don't think any of the series 3 drivers required for the 7xx cards fix this issue. What I have found is that it looks much worse in the preview than it does in the Sim and it only affects exterior aircraft and some external ai textures but the cockpit/vc, sun, sky, water, ground are all fine so I just ignore it and fly :).

It isn't your OS but i would recommend 64 bit no matter what. It will now fix the issue but is more stable :)

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg