Hello everyone, I am new to custom built gaming computers and I wanted your input on the topic. I want the computer to be able to handle fsx at medium to high settings and complex addons like PMDG at 30fps or more.  I am building through Cyberpower

The build is:

• BLUETOOTH: None
  • CARE1: Ultra Enhanced Packaging Solution - Protect Your Dream System During Transit [+19]
  • CARE2: Cooler Master Thermal Fusion 400 Extreme Performance CPU - Thermal Compound Optimized for Thermal Dissipation [+10]
  • CAS: Raidmax Viper w/ USB 3.0, Side Window Panel [-6] (Black Color)
  • CASUPGRADE: None
  • CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
  • CD2: None
  • COOLANT: Standard Coolant
  • CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4770K 3.50 GHz 8MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1150 (All Venom OC Certified)
  • CS_FAN: Default case fans
  • DOCKINGSTATION: None
  • ENGRAVING: None
  • FA_HDD: None
  • FAN: Corsair Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Single Standard 120MM Fan)
  • FLASHMEDIA: None
  • FREEBIE_VC: None
  • HDD: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+28] (Single Drive)
  • HDD2: None
  • HEADSET: ZALMAN ZM-HPS200 GAMING HEADSET
  • IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
  • KEYBOARD: (Keyboard & Mouse Combo) Cooler Master Storm Devastator Gaming Keyboard & Mouse Combo
  • MB_SRT: None
  • MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1866MHz Dual Channel Memory (ADATA XPG V2)
  • MONITOR: None
  • MONITOR2: None
  • MONITOR3: None
  • MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX w/ Military Class 4, OC Genie II, GbLAN, 2 GEn3 PCIe x16, 2 PCIe x1, 2 PCI [-10]
  • MOUSE: AZZA Alpha 1600 DPI Gaming Mouse
  • NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
  • NFC: None
  • OS: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium [+104] (64-bit Edition)
  • OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
  • POWERSUPPLY: 600 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready [+8]
  • RUSH: Standard processing time: ship within 2 to 3 weeks
  • SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR [3 Year Labor, 1 Year Parts] LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
  • SOFT1: McAfee AntiVirus Plus 2014 [+0]
  • SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
  • SPEAKERS: None
  • TEMP: None
  • TUNING: None
  • TVRC: None
  • USB: None
  • USBFLASH: None
  • USBHD: None
  • USBX: None
  • VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 2GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card [+23] (EVGA Superclocked)
  • VIDEO2: None
  • VIDEO3: None
  • WNC: PCI Wireless 802.11n 150Mbps Network Interface Card [+19]
  • _PRICE: (+1060)

Thanks in advance!

All looks good but why not wait until has well refresh is released in a couple of months. Intel is replacing the crappy Tim which should drop CPU temps by 20c allowing much high overclocks

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Gtx 750... Don't get that... Get a 770 or 670 if budget allows.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Thank you all so much for your feedback,

I don't plan to overclock for a while, but for cpu temp, will the thermal compound and water cooling be fine? I have heard good and bad things about water cooling.

At cyberpower right now, the 770's are almost $200 more so I can't afford it but how much will a better gpu affect the frames?

thx

With no overclock, your cooling should be fine..

You are getting the very best CPU and it does deserve something better than a GTX750...

Can you afford a GTX760?

Bert

Yes, I could, but I plan to only use the computer for fsx and maybe a little cad design (I'm on a robotics team)

At $160 more, how much would the 760 add?

thanks

FSX needs a nice balance between CPU and GPU power to give you smooth flight and control.

You've got yourself the top of the line Intel CPU paired up with an entry level GPU...

On the nvidia.com site you can look up the specs for these cards, but here are

some of the relevant ones for FSX:

GTX750   GTX760   GTX770

CUDA cores (that do the work)            512          1152         1536

Memory Interface Width                       128            256           256

Memory bandwidth                                 80            192           224

So you are getting roughly twice the GPU power / throughput when going from a 750 to a 760.

This matters when you get into dense scenery or weather in FSX.

If you only fly over the ocean, in sunny weather, it will not matter..

If you cannot afford it today - you can upgrade in the future  B)

ps. Even a GTX660 would be significantly better than a  750..

Bert

I think you will be pleased with the result..

Make sure you use nvidia Inspector to set the graphics options:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/drivers-nv-inspector-fsxcfg-complete-guide_topic36586.html

The 1/2 refresh rate Vsynch setting (coupled with setting fps=30 in FSX) is very effective at providing a smooth flying experience

Bert

hi guys i'm not sure if it is worth starting a new thread as my question is pretty similar. looking for some help buying my first desktop. it will be used purely for the following

1) fsx flight simulator
2) web browsing
3) some basic excel spreadsheets

main use of the rig will be fsx. about 80% of the time will be fsx. i've no plans for other gaming at present but may look at x-plane 10 further down the line. looking at previous fsx related threads and with regards to fsx being cpu hungry, i've configured a rig with the following specs

Case CORSAIR CARBIDE SERIES™ 200R COMPACT GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-4770 (3.4GHz) 8MB Cache
Motherboard ASUS® Z87-A: ATX, USB3.0, SATA6GB/S, SLi, XFIRE
Memory (RAM) 8GB KINGSTON DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 8GB)

Graphics Card 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 760

or

Graphics Card 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 770

Hard Disk 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 410MB/sW)

or
Hard Disk 500GB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD5003AZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)

Power Supply CORSAIR 650W RM SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling Super Quiet 22dBA Triple Copper Heatpipe Intel CPU Cooler
Wireless/Wired Networking WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps PCI-E CARD
Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1

i've not decided on the monitor just yet. how much i spend on that depends if i have money leftover from the build but i was looking at something like this

http://www.aocmonitorap.com/root/hk_...lay.php?id=434

the expansion packs i have are

Ground Environment X Europe http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=gexeurope
Ground Environment X North America http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=gexusacan
Ultimate Terrain X - Europe http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=utxeurope
REX Essential PLUS OverDrive http://www.flightsimstore.com/produc...st1vn6qr2l1r27

rex does have the option of loading high res textures but i don't have them enabled

what are your thoughts on the specs above for the rig? can i save anywhere? or do i need to spend more on something else?

thanks

All looks good, except for the processor, go for the 4770K unlocked version, and memory.. better 2x4GB than 1x8GB.

Bert

thanks for the reply. this will be my first rig so i've not done any overclocking before. is it fairly straightforward? not sure how confident i'll be.

which of the 2 gpu should i opt for and would i see any real benefit from just choosing the single ssd drive for fsx and the os instead of having a 7200rpm hdd?

The GTX760 should be just fine,  unless you want to overclock heavily, push heavy clouds etc

120 GB is not going to be enough for the OS + FSX in the long run..

Ideally, you would have two SSDs, one for the OS and one for FSX.

You could start with one, and upgrade soon after...  :rolleyes:

If this system is 80% FSX... to save money I would get a 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD for the OS, and install FSX on the SSD.

Regarding overclocking.. here is some light bedtime reading..

http://www.simforums.com/forums/haswell-48ghz-on-air-building-a-haswell-system_topic46180.html

Bert

The prices look tempting and especially time saving.  I once built a Pentium III @450 mhz from an online retailer--years ago obviously.  It seemed like they did not test things, especially the modem/fax as it did not work on day 1.  Since then I only purchase good parts and build / install myself.  Do they install drivers (latest drivers) and test the system after the build?  Has this type of "service" improved since then?

10700k / Gigabyte 3060