Sign in to follow this  
rfresh737

CAT III Instructional Video

I have just completed a CAT III autoland instructional video. However, this is a ground school type of instructional video providing a solid background on all of the aspects of making a CAT III autolanding. It also covers everything you need to know about CAT I and CAT II ILS approaches.

It is in a Power Point presentation format and is not done in the cockpit. This is what I mean by ground school format.

The video is 40 minutes in length and covers the history of CAT III autolands, autolands in general and finishes up with the individual components that make it up the parts of the PMDG 737NGX system such as the ISFD, Fail Operational vs Fail Passive; and exactly what LAND3, LAND2 and NO AUOLAND mean, etc.

Then ends up with showing the Boeing standard CAT III ILS autoland steps and sequence.

Target audience is those new or fairly new to the PMDG 737NGX and those who do not have an instrument rating and therefore may not know or fully understand why there is a Decision Height (DH) vs an Alert Height (AH) and when you should use each one.

I hope you enjoy: 

Thanks...

Very nice, highly educational video. I recommend everyone who wants to understand autoland watches it

Wow. That's a lot of work you put in to that. :Applause:

Interesting aside - Alaska does do hand-flown Cat IIIa approaches with the HGS.

Matt Cee

>Interesting aside - Alaska does do hand-flown Cat IIIa approaches with the HGS.

Wow, how interesting...I didn't know that...!!! You learn something new everyday...!!! Thanks for sharing...!!!

​And thank you for the complement...yes, I spent about a week collecting all the information and building the Power Point presentation...and refining it over and over with the FCTM and the FCOM2 (and several FAA and ICAO references). I actually had some L-1011 CAT III information in the presentation but due to the time, I decided to cut it.

As some of you know, I have some time in the L-1011 when I worked as a flight crew instructor for Lockheed. Every TriStar made was certified for CAT IIIa autolands. Lockheed was busy with autolanding technology around the same time the Caravelle made its history CAT IIIa autoland in commercial service. It was only a couple of years later that Lockheed delivered the first L-1011 to Eastern with CAT IIIa capability.

That was my only experience with doing real CAT IIIa autolands...we had to teach the customer pilots how to program the AP to make an autoland...in the sim and then in the actual aircraft (in those days)...I have flown as an instructor through many autolands but for training mostly...I have only a handful of CAT IIIa autolands in actual weather. These days, my CAT III autolands are in my PMDG 737NGX...!!!

And when British Airways bought the L-1011, they wanted CAT IIIb capability so we (Lockheed) developed that instrumentation for BA and got it certified for CAT IIIb. At the time, the BA L-1011's were the only commercial jets flying CAT IIIb autolands.

Thank you for taking the effort and putting this up.

Have learned alot.:-)

John Cramer

John Cramer

Thanks everyone for the kind feed back here and in the YouTube video comments section...the video passed 100 views in less than 24 hours from the initial upload...beating my fuel planning spreadsheet video...I guess it's more fun to review and fly a CAT III autoland than it is to figure out your fuel load lol... :rolleyes:

Thanks Ralph, very interesting & thanks for your time.

I predominantly fly in Australia, pilots inform me that most, if not all, approaches are cat i only. Could yourself or someone, elaborate a little more on cat i approach techniques ?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Good job Ralph, thanks for your efforts and for sharing.

23.png

Target audience is those new or fairly new to the PMDG 737NGX and those who do not have an instrument rating and therefore may not know or fully understand why there is a Decision Height (DH) vs an Alert Height (AH) and when you should use each one.

Ralph, why don't you add that to our video library so it doesn't get lost in the forums?

Thanks everyone for the kind feed back here and in the YouTube video comments section...the video passed 100 views in less than 24 hours from the initial upload...beating my fuel planning spreadsheet video...I guess it's more fun to review and fly a CAT III autoland than it is to figure out your fuel load lol... :rolleyes:

I'll be sure to watch this when I have an hour to spare - looks good. Where's your fuel planning video too? Currently i'm just using a free estimator tool and it's not too accurate for the NGX  :wacko:

>Where's your fuel planning video too?

There is a link in my profile you can click on to download it.

Or you can download it directly from my web hosting site:

http://www.1849webhosting.com/737NGX_Fuel_Planning.xls

>Ralph, why don't you add that to our video library so it doesn't get lost in the forums?

I just added it to the Training section of the Video Library.

Thanks Tom...

I just added it to the Training section of the Video Library.

Fantastic! Thanks Ralph! I am sure members will enjoy having easy access to a growing collection of training material donated by their fellows.

Wow. That's a lot of work you put in to that. :Applause:

Interesting aside - Alaska does do hand-flown Cat IIIa approaches with the HGS.

By the way, I always wanted to ask you that - why do you guys at ASA don't have altitude callouts on your 737's?