Sign in to follow this  
Bob Familton

How to Delete FMC in any Plane?

I am not at all a fan of FMC's even though they are great. I want to be able to delete it and use a regular autopilot that has NAV/GPS capability. I am interested in the IFly B747-400 in addition to other planes that have FMC's. I replaced the existing autopilot that had LNAV and VNAV capability with a standard autopilot. When I do and I try and activate the autopilot it goes right off. It will not stay engaged. I have tried several different autopilots with the same results. Thanks, Bob.

Bob... complex addons won't let you do that. You just can't rip out part of the avionics and use the aircraft.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Bob... complex addons won't let you do that. You just can't rip out part of the avionics and use the aircraft.

That's it.

Use the default aircraft if you want to fly direct GPS. 

That, or put the effort in and learn how to fly a 747 *realistically* which is way more satisfying.

Also let me ask you, what's a "standard" or "regular autopilot" for you? I ask because the standard autopilot on a modern jet works in conjunction with the FMC and has LNAV/VNAV modes.

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

Why not just use the default 747 then? The virtual cockpit textures look virtually as ugly as the iFly ones imo anyway.

Hi. OK. Thanks.

That's it.

Use the default aircraft if you want to fly direct GPS. 

That, or put the effort in and learn how to fly a 747 *realistically* which is way more satisfying.

Also let me ask you, what's a "standard" or "regular autopilot" for you? I ask because the standard autopilot on a modern jet works in conjunction with the FMC and has LNAV/VNAV modes.

Hi. I was talking about:

B737_800!Autopilot

Airbus_A319!Autopilot

Airbus_A321!Autopilot

Boeing 777-300!Autopilot

Lear_45_xml!Autopilot

among others. They don't have LNAV/VNAV.

I don't use the VC's either. I prefer 2d's. Bob.

Hi. I was talking about:

B737_800!Autopilot

Airbus_A319!Autopilot

Airbus_A321!Autopilot

Boeing 777-300!Autopilot

Lear_45_xml!Autopilot

among others. They don't have LNAV/VNAV.

I don't use the VC's either. I prefer 2d's. Bob.

Actually, the default flight simulator autopilots are fairly basic and don't necessarily represent that of the real aircraft. I'm not familiar with the Airbus or the Learjet, but I could assure you the actual 737NG series and the 777 series do have LNAV and VNAV on the autopilot.

Also, the heading "hold" on the default autopilot isn't representative of the heading hold on the actual autopilot. If anything, it functions more as a heading select, so that's a little misleading since heading hold will hold the present heading.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Actually, the default flight simulator autopilots are fairly basic and don't necessarily represent that of the real aircraft. I'm not familiar with the Airbus or the Learjet, but I could assure you the actual 737NG series and the 777 series do have LNAV and VNAV on the autopilot.

Also, the heading "hold" on the default autopilot isn't representative of the heading hold on the actual autopilot. If anything, it functions more as a heading select, so that's a little misleading since heading hold will hold the present heading.

Thanks.

As I stated above NONE of the autopilot gauges referenced have LNAV/VNAV capability. My 777 does not have LNAV/VNAV. I think it is an FS9 portover. It works fine in heading and NAV/GPS modes.

As for the heading all you have to do is dial in a new heading and the autopilots above will turn the plane to the selected heading and hold it. The same thing goes for the CRS. All you have to do is use the VOR and set the course to the VOR and the plane will hold the course in NAV mode. They also work in NAV/GPS mode.

Bob.

Thanks.

As I stated above NONE of the autopilot gauges referenced have LNAV/VNAV capability. My 777 does not have LNAV/VNAV. I think it is an FS9 portover. It works fine in heading and NAV/GPS modes.

As for the heading all you have to do is dial in a new heading and the autopilots above will turn the plane to the selected heading and hold it. The same thing goes for the CRS. All you have to do is use the VOR and set the course to the VOR and the plane will hold the course in NAV mode. They also work in NAV/GPS mode.

Bob.

Okay, your initial wording wasn't clear to me, so I thought you were talking about the actual aircraft rather than gauges. The only airplane that I can think of off the top of my head that comes with an FMC, but allows you to use the default GPS should you desire, is the QualityWings 757. Of course, you'd have to manually install the GPS on your own, but it's possible to get it to work. However, the QualityWings 757 is payware.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Thanks.

Bob.

You're talking about the FSX default aircraft. Those have very simple autopilots and no FMCs. If you want to fly like that, fine, do so!

But you must understand it's not realistic, *real* aircraft work with FMCs and complex addons try to simulate real aircraft as much as possible (unlike FSX default aircraft, which just try to keep it simple for the "casual" simmer, whatever that's supposed to mean). If the real aircraft is meant to be flown on LNAV, so is the iFly 747 or the PMDG 747 or the Level-D 767 etc. and you can't pretend to take a complex simulation of a real airliner and strip it down to a simpler version. If that's what you want, then complex addons are not for you.

Jaime Beneyto

Okay, your initial wording wasn't clear to me, so I thought you were talking about the actual aircraft rather than gauges. The only airplane that I can think of off the top of my head that comes with an FMC, but allows you to use the default GPS should you desire, is the QualityWings 757. Of course, you'd have to manually install the GPS on your own, but it's possible to get it to work. However, the QualityWings 757 is payware.

HI Kevin. Thanks. I am sorry you missed the "!" in the gauges. I might look into the QualityWings 757. Regards, Bob.

You're talking about the FSX default aircraft. Those have very simple autopilots and no FMCs. If you want to fly like that, fine, do so!

But you must understand it's not realistic, *real* aircraft work with FMCs and complex addons try to simulate real aircraft as much as possible (unlike FSX default aircraft, which just try to keep it simple for the "casual" simmer, whatever that's supposed to mean). If the real aircraft is meant to be flown on LNAV, so is the iFly 747 or the PMDG 747 or the Level-D 767 etc. and you can't pretend to take a complex simulation of a real airliner and strip it down to a simpler version. If that's what you want, then complex addons are not for you.

Hi Jaime. Thanks. I have been Flight Simming since before the Commodore 64 and have had every MS FlightSim since then. I am a retired aerospace engineer with more years than you want to know. I do understand what "real" aircraft have. I have actually worked on a lot of them. I just don't want to spend the time to use an FMC, I am sorry. I have the LVLD 767 and have had it from the day it was released. I rarely ever fly it. I hope you understand my position. Regards, Bob.

Hi Jaime. Thanks. I have been Flight Simming since before the Commodore 64 and have had every MS FlightSim since then. I am a retired aerospace engineer with more years than you want to know. I do understand what "real" aircraft have. I have actually worked on a lot of them. I just don't want to spend the time to use an FMC, I am sorry. I have the LVLD 767 and have had it from the day it was released. I rarely ever fly it. I hope you understand my position. Regards, Bob.

That's nice, I'm hopefully becoming an aerospace engineer myself too!

Of course I understand your position. You don't want to mess around programming computers and you just want to fly the aircraft. That's perfectly fine and I'm not criticizing it or anything. I'm just saying, if that's what you want, fly the default aircraft because the complex simulations won't allow it. 

OR, another thing you could do is fly a classic jet like the Dreamfleet 727. That has almost no automation and you'll have fun chasing VOR radials ;)

Regards,

Jaime Beneyto

I am glad you understand my position. I have hundreds of FS9 portovers and other FSX planes without an FMC.

I wish you well as an engineer.

Bob.