Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Wrong Approach With Ils

Up until recently I have always flown manual approaches and never utilised ILS. I now always fly an ILS approach, where possible, and then hand fly the last mile. However, I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong, although unsure what, or whether it's something to do with an individual airport's data or afcad. But for some reason, at Aerosoft's KOS and recently, Sunskjet freeware KPHL, the NGX hasn't lined up correctly with the relevent RWY. I checked the DME and ILS frequencies for both arrivals but they appeared to be correct. Can anyone offer some advice with this, thanks guys.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Most common reason is you're not putting the correct inbound COURSE on the MCP. If you're flying the NGX, you might be using the course that the FMC is giving you on the NAV/RAD page while the "actual" course is the one you can read from the FSX map.

But as you said it might be corrupted AFCAD as well, or obsolete navaid information. Make sure you update your navaids on this site: http://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids2.html

BTW: Hand flying and using an ILS are independent things. It's perfectly fine to hand fly an ILS. In fact, it's perfectly fine to hand fly all the time.

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

Hi Howard, just something to add to everyone's reply's. Real world & in the sim you should back up all your approaches with Raw Data navigation, you should be tuning VOR's and NDB's on the approach and checking them against the charts.  

Even if the AFCAD is corrupt you can at least tell that you are in the correct place.  And as Jaime say's, hand flying has nothing to do with the ILS, you still tune it on a visual approach as a back up aid.

Regards

Rob Prest

Thanks for all the replies fellas, I'll follow your suggestions and try and sort things.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

Where are you getting your ILS freq and info from? If you are using navigraph (FMC) data or real world data from a website there is a good chance it's wrong as far as FSX is concerned.

A lot of info including freq's has changed over the years but FSX will only read it's own info so you need to verify in FSX you have the correct freq in NAV1. 

I use FSCommander as it only reads FSX data to ensure I am tuned correctly but you can also pull it up in FSX

Jay

It might be because FSX and some add-on airports have out dated magnetic data.

I think I saw an option in the NGX CDU where you can select something like"use fsx data for naiads", or something to this effect.

I think it should fix the problem, but I am not 100% sure and can't check now. 

Yeah for a raw input tune the FSX ILS freq (open map view to get it) into the nav1 radio below the windscreen. Select APP on the EFIS panel. Then set CRS to the inbound course listed in FSX. This will be a raw data ILS.

And slightly off topic...

You can fly an ILS by hand or on AP - you can be IFR or VFR (flight plan) You can fly a visual approach mostly on autopilot or all by hand, but you'll be on an IFR flight plan... Confused lol?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Yea I had this problem in the NGX landing at LGA. The course was messed up and had me landing next to the runway. I was very new at using the plane so I couldn't figure out what was wrong until I looked at the FSX map and saw the ILS course was different in FSX than what was on the FMC. 

Some great suggestions here fellas, and the info re frequencies from Jay. I have been using Navigraph airac data, so I will ensure in future I follow the info from FSC. I'll also update the navaids suggested by Jaimee. Thanks again, nice to have so much support :smile:

Howard

Glad to help Howard. I was in a bit of a hurry when I previously posted so I'll expand a bit on the difference between FSX data and Navigraph.

Navigraph updates regularly to 'real world' info, as close as they can. FSX stays with it's original data so unless you have and updated AFCAD for a specific airport, it's going to read info thats around 7 years old.

In that time frame, many things have changed, frequencies, runways added or closed, fix and waypoint names changed, runway headings, the list is endless.

A couple of examples... KPBI- ILs frequences are the same but all fix names have been changed and the runway heading adjusted (rwy 270 in FSX is rwy 280 in the FMC). A lot of runways have changed as the earths magnetic pole has shifted a bit over the years. This really makes no difference but it does confuse some folks..(An ILS doesnt care what CRS you have dialed in, it's only going to track the ILS LOC signal. The CRS window is more for a visual reference)

CYSX- If you look at the FMC info you will see an ILS listed, but in FSX there is no ILS at all for that airport!

There is a 'cheat' available if you dont' want to use a program like FSCommander to verify the correct info...you can add the FSX default GPS to any plane and that will give you the original FSX info as a reference, including all available approaches.

Hope this helps a bit more.

Jay

Another thing that comes to mind:

Not all ils approaches line up with a rw center line!

An extreme example of this being the good old VHHX approach!

Usually, when u look at a plate and it indicates ils rw xx with a letter behind it, it is not an ils that is in sync with the extended center line. (Not always)

Also, I a curious which ils you flew in kos, because in real life there are only VOR approaches into kos.

(...)

Also, I a curious which ils you flew in kos, because in real life there are only VOR approaches into kos.

Good find: The VOR sits at the side of the runway - quite some distance away. So flying a VOR radial will not get you to the threshold.

Another thing that comes to mind:

Not all ils approaches line up with a rw center line!

An extreme example of this being the good old VHHX approach!

Usually, when u look at a plate and it indicates ils rw xx with a letter behind it, it is not an ils that is in sync with the extended center line. (Not always)

I'm still a virgin when it comes to ILS approaches and so forth. I have since had a look at the airport charts and yes, you are right. I'll take myself to the bottom of the class and write one hundred times, 'I must pay more attention in class' :blush:

Howard