Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Why Worse Blurries Than Fsx?

I have to say I'm getting a little tired of all the testing and tweaking I've been doing over the past three days to try and get P3Dv2 to actually work as well as FSX. I have accepted that I can't use cloud shadows, as the impact makes the sim unflyable. I have everything set at medium, with very conservative settings throughout and have followed all the guidelines from guys on the forum. The biggest headache I have is that no matter what settings I try, the texture/ground blurries are worse than I get in FSX. I am starting to wonder whether there could be some other intrinsic issue elsewhere in my setup. Could it be my 4.6 overclock may have an effect? or the memory settings in Windows? Maybe the RAM? Although I fail to see that any of these may have an impact, I'd be interested in some opinions from those who may have some advice. Thanks fellas... BTW I find it really difficult to understand why, with a CPU @ 4.6Ghz and a GTX 770 4gb I am getting, what appears to be far worse performance than others with less 'beefy' setups.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Hi,

did you try setting Prepar3d to use all cores (including core 0) in the Task Manager while it is running? This resolved all blurry problems for me, and my machine is weaker than yours.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Actually... did you start with no tweaks at all to begin with or was your first step after installation to start making changes to the prepar3d.cfg file?

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Turn on all cores, set all sliders/values to zero/nil and begin anew. This experience is the same as we had with major changes to FSX. 

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Hi,

did you try setting Prepar3d to use all cores (including core 0) in the Task Manager while it is running? This resolved all blurry problems for me, and my machine is weaker than yours.

Kind regards, Michael

Hi Michael, sure, I tried many different AM settings, including 15 and 14 plus a miriad of other numbers, and found none of them made the slightest difference.

Actually... did you start with no tweaks at all to begin with or was your first step after installation to start making changes to the prepar3d.cfg file?

Yes I did Ed.

Turn on all cores, set all sliders/values to zero/nil and begin anew. This experience is the same as we had with major changes to FSX. 

Hi Dick, so you're suggesting the AM setting, right?  BTW I don't have hyperthreading with the SB CPU...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

Hi 

i   have the same hardware,  and  AF15,  Crystal clear , no blurries  ,

loadradios max  

Rockliffe,

overall, this is a strange case.

While AM settings in prepar3d.cfg and core settings in the Task Manager (and corresponding command line settings and corresponding settings using an external tool) all should provide the same result for a given set of target cores, this may actually not be the case in practice - for whatever reason. If you did not do this before, I'd suggest removing any AM settings in the config file, starting the simulator, going into windows mode, calling the Task Manager and setting prepar3d.exe to use all cores (plus, maybe, setting it to high priority, which is what I use). This was suggested in the LM forum, and I found it does help a lot. LM will change the default setting in the next version to exploit all cores by default, too.

You probably checked, that the 3D driver settings for Prepar3d are default (resp. you restored them to the defaults). Concerning config settings, I was once stuck with bad performance using high airport traffic settings, which took a while to detemine as a cause. 

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I tried editing my config with affinity mask 14 and 15.. tried both and to no effect at all. Blurries were still there.

Though, as pmb stated, I set affinity with task manager to run all cores.

No more blurries :)

Seems like it's easy enough to set AM and priority on startup with TM, that always helps me. Plus have reduced LOD_Radius to 4.5.

As I think we'll discover, be it FSX or P3D: you can't have it all at once. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

calling the Task Manager and setting prepar3d.exe to use all cores

Hi Michael, sorry to be dim, but how is this done? Is it not the same as changing the AM in the cfg?

Howard

I Howard.

I did this by calling up the task manager (any time P3D is loaded, doesn't matter)

Then in processes, look for the prepa3d.ex, right click on it, then select 'set affinity'

The rest, I'm sure you will know what to do ;)

Rockliffe, on 24 Apr 2014 - 4:07 PM, said:

Hi Michael, sorry to be dim, but how is this done? Is it not the same as changing the AM in the cfg?

It "should" be the same thing, but as several users observed, it's effectively not always the same however.

Start the simulator. When it's fully running, press Ctrl+Shift+Esc. Go to the "Pocesses" tab, search for prepar3d.exe. Select it with the r.h.s. mouse button, now choose "set affiliation" (or similar, I use a German language Windows).

There are alternative ways, I use a tool (Easy Toolz, which is German language, but there are some others) to set it once for all. As I said. it can be done via the command line, too, just Google for it.

However, I'd start with the Task Manager being the most safe way.

Kind regards, Michael

I doubt that there's any difference in the result between the different ways setting the AM. It's for sure a placebo effect.

Set AM in cfg-file and have a look with the task manager and one can see what was set.

Spirit

Use all four cores of your CPU.  Did you try that? That fixed my blurries for the most part. If I use only three cores and not use core 0,  I get blurries

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=n

Choice of <n> as follows:

15=1111 = ALL 4 cores
14=1110 = last 3 cores  (cores read from back to front)

PS: All right I see many folks have the same advice.  :lol:

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

There is an interesting note on this topic by LM graphics lead Beau Hollis in a recent discussion (scroll down):

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=6702

Kind regards, Michael