Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

The Day Fsx Vanished...and Left In Its Place-------------->

....flight simulation....just flight simulation;

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am presently paused in a flight today outbound from the new ORBX airport release of FSX-G's KGIF (Winter Haven, FL), bound for KFLG (Flagstaff, AZ), about an hour out, and at 12,000 Ft.

Today, in looking out the cockpit window, and down at the DX10 ocean from those 12,000 ft, and soon to head back over land as the other side of a long-sweeping bay shore is coming into view with my LOD of 5.5......did I realize..that FSX is at this moment, so perfectly running, that FSX is so real-world beautiful in its virtual splendor...that it truly, since having purchased it those years ago...

....has completely vanished....become invisible to the mind,...and only the Virtual World is left in its place.

What a fantastic feeling today...as I fly over those wave swells, gently rolling below, out on the Atlantic.

ASN, (under a flight plan) is painting the sky with clouds...that are just there...90 miles out...just there...and no cloud base forming in front of my eyes....no, they are just there, as my flight path brings them into view. Fantastically wonderful...ASN...is also now a background thing/happening...and 'invisible' to my observance.

What a great day, is today at 12,000 ft off-shore of Florida....for finally...FINALLY, is flight simulation all about flying...and not about TRYING to get it all to gel....

FSX has vanished---------------------------->, and left in its place....a virtual world of flight simulation! Not the mechanics of it.....just involvement of the cockpit, and the flight path. 

Long live the King!

Back to Florida....and then, hello  Arizona!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers, all...and have a happy and safe weekend!

Mitch

Hey, Man!  what are you drinkin'?? I want some too! :P   Glad to hear it's all come together for you! :lol:

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Hey, Man!  what are you drinkin'?? I want some too! :P   Glad to hear it's all come together for you! :lol:

Coffee...Maxwell House Dark Roast...(large smile!)

Thanks...and I can only hope that it does for all.....for when it does...it does in a BIG way!

Shouldn't you be flying in Michigan Mitch :lol:

LOL!  Normally I do...KFNT is the HBO....but...have been cycling through the latest North American and European ORBX delights....and just thought to go back to Winter Haven...and head over to Flagstaff.  I have the flight on pause, and am going to take a meal break....you sure can't do that in the RW!  So I guess that flight simulation has one up, on the RW at that, lol!

Very poetic, Mitch. I like it. In the FSX ecosystem things are advancing at an exponential rate. The beauty of FSX, despite its abandonment by MS, is that these 7 years have allowed developers the freedom to explore new ideas and push boundaries instead of getting caught up in a rapid commercial release cycle. What you see is the outcome of creative and talented people being given the opportunity to contribute to an openly adaptable software code, and its a beautiful thing.

We have things now I couldn't imagine: Complex systems, hyper-real weather, conceivable weather radar, flight planning so accurate it can accommodate ETOPS and NATs... I even have little men that come to the airplane and load it up with that godawful airplane food...  couldn't ask for anything more at this point.  

Very poetic, Mitch. I like it. In the FSX ecosystem things are advancing at an exponential rate. The beauty of FSX, despite its abandonment by MS, is that these 7 years have allowed developers the freedom to explore new ideas and push boundaries instead of getting caught up in a rapid commercial release cycle. What you see is the outcome of creative and talented people being given the opportunity to contribute to an openly adaptable software code, and its a beautiful thing.

We have things now I couldn't imagine: Complex systems, hyper-real weather, conceivable weather radar, flight planning so accurate it can accommodate ETOPS and NATs... I even have little men that come to the airplane and load it up with that godawful airplane food...  couldn't ask for anything more at this point.  

I mirror 100 percent of your post!  100 percent!!!

I also will self-edit my 'These made it as good as it gets' post.  I acknowledge that M.S. DID create an open code base...or we would not be here...and I would not see FSX 'vanish' in front of my eyes...(smile).  So...with great 3PD churning out the programs and ideas...and with Micro Soft laying down the foundation....it has never been;... ever, a better time, to have FSX and all it can bring to the flight simulation table, a prime place upon your system's hard-drive.... 

Mitch

Cheers,

It made me very happy to have read such a positive post this evening, so thank you!

The immersion factor that you're describing is almost always my goal; it's wonderful when everything comes together and you can just enjoy being in another place, so to speak.  ^_^

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I'm still using Windows XP with a nv8800GT card, so no DX10 for me.  I have yet to jump to ASN, still using old, reliable, AS2012.  My flying centers around south Florida and the Bahamas.  Just a couple of days ago I was flying from Bimini South back to Opa Locka.  Moderate cloud cover and almost one hour before sunset.  The sun was casting rays through the clouds, the sky was growing to an absolutely stunning shade of pink, the water was shimmering, just an awe inspiring flight.  I wish I had taken a screen shot, but that opportunity is missed and it seems that it is rare for AS2012 to duplicate such things.  Sometimes the weather is boring, sometimes it is just amazing, and sometimes I begin to feel nauseous from all the banging and violent movements from turbulent air.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Nice post Mitch it is a wonderfull feeling :-)

If you dont have it, think about getting Blue Sky free photo scenery to add to it. It is western US and is stunnig and really adds to the 'imersion' factor, especially if you are a GA pilot (but its great for high altitude too :-)

Jay