Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

26APR14 - P3D Development Status Thread - Updated

Captains,

This thread replaces the previous version, dated November 2013.  It includes updated information and is the only source of information related to the development of PMDG products for P3D.  This thread is designed to prevent the need for repetitive "what about" questions in unrelated threads.  If the information is not yet provided in this thread, then it is not yet available and will not be discussed in other, non-related threads by PMDG staff.

(Translation: Please do not hijack unrelated threads... your question will not be answered by PMDG staff if it is unrelated to the thread!)

This thread will provide you with factual information related to PMDG's efforts to release products compatible with the Lockheed Martin Prepar3d (P3d) platform.

This thread will continue be updated from time-to-time as more information becomes available.

Licensing Update:

==============

PMDG continues to work toward a licensing agreement with our licensing partners to allow PMDG products to appear under the P3D title in educational, STEM and personal training formats.  This agreement process is taking significantly more time than originally hoped for.  We had originally predicted a late 2013 conclusion, but we are withdrawing all date suggestion at this point, as our licensing partners have found it necessary to evaluate more thoroughly this portion of the business model as it relates to P3D.

Users who participate via Commercial/Enterprise customers with qualified training programs can learn about the use of PMDG's products via their training department.

General Status:

============

PMDG are planning release of the following products for use with the Lockheed Martin Prepar3d platform:

PMDG 747-400v2.0 for P3D

PMDG 777 Series for P3D

PMDG 737NGX Series for P3D

Release of the PMDG BAe JS4100 for P3D and new products being developed under the PMDG Classics product line are also under consideration for release as P3D titles.

PMDG does not intend to release any of our legacy products such as the PMDG MD-11 or PMDG 747-400X into the P3D platform.

Products that enter development following the PMDG 747-400 v2.0 will be considered on a case-by-case basis depending upon their marketability on the P3D platform.

Licensing and Use:

===============

Unlike products developed on the Microsoft Flight Simulator X (FSX) platform, products on the P3D platform will be offered with a range of licensing options.  These options will initially include only a General Study, Education/Academic-STEM and Familiarization licensing model but will eventually expand to include licensing models to cover training, classroom training and training center/airline site license versions.

Customer Licensing for General and Personal Training licenses will be handled directly through PMDG's current eCommerce portal.  All other licensing options will be handled on customer-specific non-public portals.

Costs for licensing of P3D based products will vary based upon the license model chosen and the desired use.  This will enable PMDG customers to choose a range of cost options based upon their needs and license requirements, from Home Entertainment (using FSX) up through PMDG Certified Training Solutions customized for specific airline customers.

TRAINING CENTER & AIRLINE CUSTOMIZATION:

=======================================

Training Centers and Airline customers will be able to purchase a general version of a PMDG product for P3D, or alternately PMDG can create a private version that tailors the aircraft equipment options to match the customer fleet.  This version can be made available only to designated crew members through a private portal.  (Please contact us directly via our site for more information on customization.)

Note: Training enabled licenses depend upon certification from Boeing and licensing by same.  This product line is not yet available.

ETA:

====

Currently, there are no PMDG products licensed for use with the Lockheed Martin Prepar3d platform.

We do not have a firm ETA for release of PMDG's pending line of P3D products.  (See: HURDLES, below.) 

We currently anticipate that the PMDG 777-200LR/F will be the first product released for use with P3D.  All other PMDG products for P3D will follow later.

HURDLES:

========

PMDG are currently working with our licensing partners to expand and clarify scope restrictions under our current license agreements that prevent us from releasing products for the P3D platform.  These conversations have been ongoing since approximately July, and we do not have an ETA for their successful conclusion.

Events related to unflattering attention received by simming in the news media have made such conversations significantly more sensitive of late, and as such we are taking our time to ensure that equitable agreements are reached.

While we are eager to see these products released under P3D, PMDG works with licensed materials and this means we must respect the license control wishes of our licensing partners.  While it may be acceptable for some vendors who are working without intellectual property licenses (think: scenery) or in flagrant violation of intellectual property licenses to release products on multiple platforms without permission of the intelectual property owner, PMDG maintains a strong and respectful relationship with our licensing partners and we will not violate the provisions of such agreements.

PRICING:

=======

Pricing for PMDG's new line of P3D products will vary depending upon license type and intended use.  Airline customers are encouraged to contact PMDG directly in order that we can effectively recommend a solution to minimize direct and recurring costs.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Thanks for the update Robert. The 2nd and 3rd paragraphs under Hurdles are eye openers.

Well thanks for the update not exactly the update I was hoping for but you cant always have what you want, hopefully you will sort your licensing agreement out soon, until then I will wait patiently for more information.

Steve

Good news to hear that its still in progress, bad news is so many issues. 

By the sounds of it, there is certainly no cross licensing as its either or, so the 744 will have to wait until it comes for p3d. Im done buying for fsx. 

As a side note, not intending to release the MD11 doesnt mean its out of the question and impossible by the sounds of it.   B) (Thats just being extremely hopeful for my favorite aircraft) The legacy 744 is for obvious reasons. 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Thank you for the update.  Here is to hoping that licensing ball of yarn can be sorted out sooner rather than later.  Even though it is taking more time, I respect that PMDG is taking the road of caution... it is the right thing to do.

-Phil

Thank you for the update. Personally I am not seeing a solution for a long time, taking into account that these procedures take usually time.I was hoping for something better. Unfortunately I think I am going to reinstall fsx for the year 2014.

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

Great to hear an update from PMDG on P3D. Very sobering stuff, indeed. 

Welp, here's to a PMDG-Compatible future for P3D! Would love to run the T7 on some SLI goodness  ^_^

Aamir Thacker

Events related to unflattering attention received by simming in the news media have made such conversations significantly more sensitive of late,

Perfectly understandable considering a company like Lockheed Martin (who directly works for Defence Department) + all the unsolved mystery of MH370, 

Of course it will also come out for FSX. Heck, it'll probably come out for FSX way before it sees the light of day in P3D.

Thanks Capt. Rob - great update and the P3D licensing correlation to recent "unflattering attention" makes perfect sense now that I think about it.  Good update, sir.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Hi,

Thanks for the update,  I look forward to the day the PMDG 737NGX will once again take flight on my simulator.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Good news to hear that its still in progress, bad news is so many issues. 

By the sounds of it, there is certainly no cross licensing as its either or, so the 744 will have to wait until it comes for p3d. Im done buying for fsx. 

As a side note, not intending to release the MD11 doesnt mean its out of the question and impossible by the sounds of it.   B) (Thats just being extremely hopeful for my favorite aircraft) The legacy 744 is for obvious reasons. 

I think there are multiple problems with the MD-11--first, that the programming team that built it (Bill Grabowski et al) may no longer be with PMDG...if you remember, Bill started coding the MD-11 project independently, and then PMDG took it on and rounded things out with the talent on their team.  I also believe that PMDG, with what they've learned through multiple dev cycles for FSX including the 747X, NGX and 777, have built some common in-house development processes that would likely require a complete re-write of the MD-11 to make it fit inside their production model.  So given that the fast-disappearing MD-11 is not an especially popular plane, and that it probably would require PMDG to "rebuild Rome" to produce anything like what we have come to expect from their recent add-ons, personally I won't be holding my breath on anything beyond what we already have with the MD-11.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I think there are multiple problems with the MD-11--first, that the programming team that built it (Bill Grabowski et al) may no longer be with PMDG...if you remember, Bill started coding the MD-11 project independently, and then PMDG took it on and rounded things out with the talent on their team.  I also believe that PMDG, with what they've learned through multiple dev cycles for FSX including the 747X, NGX and 777, have built some common in-house development processes that would likely require a complete re-write of the MD-11 to make it fit inside their production model.  So given that the fast-disappearing MD-11 is not an especially popular plane, and that it probably would require PMDG to "rebuild Rome" to produce anything like what we have come to expect from their recent add-ons, personally I won't be holding my breath on anything beyond what we already have with the MD-11.

Regards

Well i guess flightfactor will not want develop one. Not a popular plane enough. same for nearly every other developer.