Sign in to follow this  

AffinityMask 2388 and CPU core 10 not always running?

I would leave HT on since threads with commonality can run on the same cores for increased efficiency through HT, many of the OS functions do this, for example the networking which P3D/FSX is network bound.

Agree, HT on is beneficial.

AffinityMask can only mask LPs or cores from use. The reason for AM is to distribute high intensity threads to keep heat under control.

I thought I disabled thermal protection in my UEFI ... but you maybe correct, it could be Asus Digi Power control ... but I'm still not sure why it wouldn't be applied to core 11 (HT core) which as I understand it, when active, will really just be using the physical core ... so heat generation should be the same?

Cheers, Rob.

Yes, I would say the same heat, but remember an inactive LP for P3D is still an available LP for the rest of the system along with all the LPs enabled for P3D, could be the AM rearrangement produces a different heat distribution.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

My curiosity is peaked ... makes me want to get a 12/24 CPU setup per my other thread on Asus motherboard info.  I thought there was a point of diminishing returns for CPU count in P3D ... but maybe I'm wrong on that assumption.  Clearly it's not about Ghz in P3D ... the heat distribution is food for thought ... need to ponder this.

Thanks for your contribution Steve.

Cheers, Rob.

A pleasure Rob. P3D will use more LPs than FSX and be more efficient. Regarding the heat issue, we used to have mobos with 2 or 4 CPUs, but with better cooling on only half of them, and so on those systems we set MS SQL server masked to use the more efficiently cooled cores.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Could this mean core 10 is actually your windows-core

There is no such thing as a "Windows core", at least not with the 64 bit versions of Win 7 and Win 8.

There is no such thing as a "Windows core", at least not with the 64 bit versions of Win 7 and Win 8.

The system`s power management of win 7 and win 8 supports core-parking which is another term for shutting cores down.

I would assume it will never shut down all cores as that would be the same as hibernation.

So at least 1 core should remain active, and imho that core should be at the beginning or end of the list.

But at least as you will agree "the last core standing" will not be one of the middle cores.

So the question is from which direction does the MS-kernelscheduler start counting, and is it always from the same direction.

(The kernelscheduler is what applies the powermanagement logic, and what distibutes programs over the cores you have available.)

Hi Rob,

please excuse my ignorance, I realise you are using P3d however, would AM at 2388 work more favourably for DX10 also? Or have I totally misunderstood.

Cheers Dave

would AM at 2388 work more favourably for DX10 also?

There is no generic rule here Dave, what you want to get out of this is to monitor your CPU cores to see if they are indeed doing what you expect them to do with a given affinity mask under load.  I'm finding mine weren't operating as expected and hence my move to 2388 ... your case could be and most likely will be different than my instance.

Many free and payware tools to monitor cores, some better than others, but if you just want to get the gist that they (CPU cores) are working as expected, Process Explorer will do that.

What prompted my experimentation was not P3D running by itself, but the combination of P3D running while I used FRAPS to record my P3D sessions.

Cheers, Rob.

I'm not going to be of much help probably as I know next to nothing about P3D, but there are no virtual & physical cores patterns like even cores are logical & odd cores are real. They're all logical to the app and Intel's just happen to share resources (physical cores with HT on, cache...)

(logical) cores 0 & 1 share a physical core, just like 2 & 3, 4 & 6, etc...

I was here to see if I can learn something about P3D and how it scales with core count / HT anyway, so feel free to disregard this :) 

Thanks Rob, much appreciated your advice here, I think I will do a little experimenting this weekend.

Dave

Hi all,

Sorry is this only for 10 + core topic??. I have a old i7 2600K. I buy a new one soon i7 ????.

Gr Arnold

Sorry is this only for 10 + core topic??

This topic is for 6 core with HT enabled with OC at 4.8Ghz.  Purpose is focused on getting P3D to be smooth while FRAPS is recording and TrackIR 5 is doing it's thing.  If you don't have a 6 core CPU with HT (aka 12 core) and don't use FRAPS or TrackIR 5 then you can ignore thread.

But to UPDATE this thread, I'm actually now using 

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=1020

This seems to be the best compromise for use of FRAPS/recording and TrackIR5 and running P3DV2.2

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob:

Whats a good number for a 3770k as P3D is downloading now - thanks

Rich Sennett

Rob hi,

Thanks you i using Fraps see youtube channel  by arnoldabramsen or VBV065. And i have Trackir i use sometimes.

Gr Arnold