Sign in to follow this  
scandinavian13

Weather Radar - video previews by Kyle Rodgers and FrooglePete

Thanks to both for the videos.  I find froogle does get some slack in here over time.  I think that is because he's not a major player when it comes to this forum.  He also has an attitude towards people that (yes, this is NOT a typo) rubs them the wrong way whereas Kyle is informative and not as harsh towards people.  Froogle is very passive aggressive when it comes to people he deems as "trolls" where Kyle bluntly states the facts as he knows, and the crowd goes wild.  Froogle is a terrible pilot in his videos which makes for great entertainment for me at least, but his PC specs and love for the hobby make him a suitable candidate to test products.  Kyle is knowledgeable and many like his 15 minute vidoes where 15 seconds would have done the job.  He's like one of my engineers at work who when asked if he can fix a certain button that has stopped working will give you an hour long ramble about the background of the button and it's inner workings.  Dude, I just want the button working again, but thanks for the info.  Might come in handy on next week's episodes of Jeopardy!.

Again, thanks for the videos guys.  Can't wait to boldly go where no man should have gone before...in to WX.   

He also has an attitude towards people that (yes, this is NOT a typo) rubs them the wrong way whereas Kyle is informative and not as harsh towards people.

I appreciate that feedback.  I would've assumed I was a little more caustic towards people than Pete, but that might be because, as you mentioned, I'm a little more active here make my assumptions based on people going "wild" here.

Kyle is knowledgeable and many like his 15 minute vidoes where 15 seconds would have done the job.  He's like one of my engineers at work who when asked if he can fix a certain button that has stopped working will give you an hour long ramble about the background of the button and it's inner workings.  Dude, I just want the button working again, but thanks for the info.  Might come in handy on next week's episodes of Jeopardy!.

Again, thanks for the videos guys.  Can't wait to boldly go where no man should have gone before...in to WX.   

Not sure if many know this, but I constantly chastise myself for my constantly never-ending rants.  It might not come across like that, especially since I keep typing them up and recording them, but I do go back and look at posts/videos and think "[dang], was there a point in that mess???"

The idea with the SYSK stuff was originally to give a few short pointers in shorter videos.  I'll have to do a better job of that, because they morphed into a knowledge session full of PowerPoints.  Perhaps I'll come up with a different line for those...15 Seconds of Tips?  haha...

...also, for what it's worth, I wouldn't say Pete is a terrible pilot.  I know for sure that my piloting goes a little downhill when I try to narrate while flying an aircraft all by myself.  Beyond that, I also know that, when compared to my RW flying, my sim flying is definitely lacking.  I don't have the same tactile and positional feedback that I'd be getting in the real thing.

EDIT:  See?  I didn't mean to type all of that...case in point...haha

Kyle Rodgers

When the team is happy with the state of the software.

One question. When does beta end?

When the development team is confident that they've released a product that meets their internal requirements.  The beta team doesn't know what those are (nor do I care, personally).  We just flag potential issues as we see them.

I have a feeling that the general criteria is "once the beta team trails off on flagging stuff*, and the issues in the database are marked as solved, we'll release."

*You'd be hard pressed to find software where the beta team simply stopped flagging things.  First, nothing is ever perfect.  Second, humans are similarly imperfect and will flag things that are working correctly because their knowledge of the systems is inaccurate.  Example: I flagged the AP aural alert early on because I didn't wait the necessary amount of time between AP Disco presses.

Kyle Rodgers

I've been off the sim for a while so I apologize if this has already been answered; Will the next 737NGX service pack contain the WX radar?

Ben Weaver

SWA8485

It is said to be updated with the radar somewhere down the road. If it is in the next update or later, I can't tell...

cheers,
NiIs U.

AMD 5800X3D | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200MHz | RTX 4070 12GB @ 1920x1050px

Will the next 737NGX service pack contain the WX radar?

[My standard rant goes here, but I'm feeling generous...]

It is planned to be included as part of SP2 of the NGX, yes.

http://forum.avsim.net/index.php?app=core&module=search&search_in=forums

Try terms: "weather radar SP2." Author: rsrandazzo

Kyle Rodgers

Testing software, writing manuals and "designing" flows so I actually test every part of the process is what I do for a living at the moment making sure the customer gets what he thought he ordered and what our sales thought they sold.

I can inmagine what the programmers @PMDG and the beta testers are doing at the moment. Lovely time consuming job!

Keep up the work and if you have some spare time spoil us with some media footage ,-)

Thanks for the videos guys! This looks like good fun...

It was said that the depiction range of ASN is limited to 80 nm. What does the ND look like if you increase the range above that 80 nm (in case there is something to depict of course)?

I'm curious about this too.  I thought one of the primary uses of weather radar was avoiding weather in cruise, with reasonably long distances displayed.

I'm thinking of the Air Canada Just Planes CYVR-YSSY flight where the pilot said 'we don't thread our way through weather, we go right around it'. His range was either 160 or 320 at the time, I think.

Bryn.

Streaming at twitch.tv/brynmwr

Hi Bryn,

As ASN is the one feeding the radar with data, I'll have to respond to this. The WXR-2100 manual states that weather avoidance procedures should not be based on ranges above 80nm . Ranges above 80nm are only used for strategic reasons (to get prepared, to be able to assess the extent of the "wall" if any etc). This is reasonable, because by the time the aircraft reaches at this point, the weather may have changed significantly.

At the moment ASN provides data only up to the point of the defined reality bubble. In the case of clouds this is determined by the cloud draw distance (CDD). So if a user has the CDD option value set to e.g. 150nm, then the radar will be able to provide data up to this distance. If on the other hand the user sets the max CDD (in ASN's options), to 60, then the radar will only be able to cover this area. We worked hard to be able to directly control this value inside fsx (mainly to attempt to improve cloud related performance without compromising the depiction while on cruise), but in the end, it's the user option that determines how this works. 

We understand that to achieve the maximum realism, signals up to 320nm have to be returned and we're working on this at the moment (for ASN SP1). You have to understand however, that beyond the reality bubble the signals will be much less accurate (in this case the technical difficulties imposed to us by fsx match the technical difficulties real life weather radar manufacturers face with signal attenuation etc). ASN SP1 will be released most probably after the T7 SP, but the good thing is that no code change will be needed on the T7 (or any aircraft) side. Any changes we make to improve the efficiency/accuracy on our side, will be immediately visible on the aircraft ND, once a new update of ASN is installed.

So stay tuned :)

Kostas Terzides

devteam_bannerA.png

EDIT:  See?  I didn't mean to type all of that...case in point...haha

Na, people love it.  Or like it, at least.  It gives us stuff to do to pass the time! haha.

Maybe I'm watching his wrong videos because every one I see - sorry Pete - he's been a terrible pilot haha.  You should see me after a few beers though.  

If on the other hand the user sets the max CDD (in ASN's options), to 60, then the radar will only be able to cover this area. We worked hard to be able to directly control this value inside fsx (mainly to attempt to improve cloud related performance without compromising the depiction while on cruise), but in the end, it's the user option that determines how this works. 

Hi Kostas, just a question upon reading this: does the ASN option that changes the max cloud draw distance based on whether you are in cruise or approach really work or is it limited by FS?

Thank you for this great step forward in the flight simulation!  

James Goggi

Hi James,

First, thanks for your kind words. Really appreciated. To your question: Yes it works. If you set e.g. minCDD to 60 and maxCDD to 150, then the cdd will increase once you climb above 10000 feet and will return back to 60 once you start the approach phase. There are however some things worth noting though:

- CDD may not increase to the "full 150" value, if a heavy cloud load is detected around the aircraft (to preserve frames a bit). This code still needs some optimization to be done however.

- Dynamic CDD changes as done by ASN may reveal more easily an fsx alignment bug, where there is a "line" (gap) between the old CDD area and the new one. This may lead to a weird pattern on ASN map and in the sim if we have overcast conditions everywhere. That's one of the reasons we decided to set the default min/max CDD values both to 90 (essentially disabling the dynamic CDD feature). I personally keep them (since I have a weak dev machine here) to 60-150 and I am satisfied with the result. 

- Moving the sliders in ASN options will change the fsx/map/radar depiction on the fly (you'll notice the effect immediately). So it's worth experimenting with this while aloft, to see how it works for you.

Kostas Terzides

devteam_bannerA.png