Flight Dynamics

What's a manche?

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Male version of a womanche?

:lol:

stick :-)

That thing airbus pilots do not have between their legs...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I did as you described... aircraft still lost forward momentum, ailerons lost authority, aircraft pitched over and started to tumble and fell out of the sky.

Now... I will state that the flight dynamics of a tumbling aircraft may need work... but it is not a normal state defined by any aerodynamics books I have in my possession.

There are certain things regarding stalls that simply can not be calculated.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Not to sidetrack the thread but, have to agree with this entirely.  I have two of the Orbx England grass strips with sloping runways and they are fun to fly.  

Heh, if you have ORBX Southern Alaska, try Dogfish Bay (AK07).  One runway is straight up and down the slope of a hillside and the crossing runway goes over the hump so that you can't see the far half of the runway from either end.  It should bring back some bad memories for you!

Sloped runways are no problem for the user in FSX or Prepar3D.  They just cause problems for AI planes (which of course, wasn't a factor in MS Flight).  I'm very happy to find them in ORBX products.

if you have ORBX Southern Alaska, try Dogfish Bay (AK07)

Not yet...one of the few regions I don't.  Pretty sparse for airports up there yet.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

A2A 172 and Cherokee are real good, but still could be better.

I was disappointed with the A2A Cherokee. Great looking aeroplane with a fantastic VC but the handling IMHO is nothing like a real Piper Cherokee. The A2A model wallows all over the place and as for the trim?! Full up elevator trim required on final approach and STILL not enough to trim out the flare? If that is how their "real world" Cherokee flies I'd put it in the hanger for some major attention to the trim tab.

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

I was disappointed with the A2A Cherokee. Great looking aeroplane with a fantastic VC but the handling IMHO is nothing like a real Piper Cherokee. The A2A model wallows all over the place and as for the trim?! Full up elevator trim required on final approach and STILL not enough to trim out the flare? If that is how their "real world" Cherokee flies I'd put it in the hanger for some major attention to the trim tab.

I wonder whether this is due to the .air file/aircraft.cfg, limitations of the FDE or both?

It occurs to me that it would be really interesting to systematically evaluate aircraft add-ins against published RW data... Has anyone done this?

Z

It occurs to me that it would be really interesting to systematically evaluate aircraft add-ins against published RW data... Has anyone done this?

I know that Bernt does do that with data they get from the POH tables, videos, etc.  I did a go around test of the Malibu Mirage (gear down, full flaps, climbing at Vx, monitoring rate of climb).  He nailed it. 

I didn't get it because I used to fly a similar Cherokee and it bored me out of my mind in the real world.  But, if it their version flies like that, it's way off.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I find it very responsive and don't have the elevator trim problem that you mention. My son flies one and thinks it is very close based on my set up. I use the Saitek Cessna trim wheel and have PCF Beech Yolk and GA Rudder Pedals with Hall Effect and use FSUPIC with slope set at 1 as it was a bit too lively without - certainly not wallowing. I also understand A2A bought a Cherokee (not verified) so I am pretty certain they would have got the model a close as possible.

Me too I find the A2A Cherokee even better and more realistic than the A2A 172.

PFC Yoke with hall effects (which is totally worth it) Saitek rdder pedals.

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=115&t=42117

A little thread about the A2A 180 and it's resistance to stalling. I've never flown a Cherokee 180, but learned on a C 172 and the A2A version handles as close to real thing as one can get in a consumer simulator.

You nearly said "as real as it gets" then, J! Does the 172  float over the runway on landing without a full load of passengers?

He admits he hasn't touched Prepar3D and is assuming that nothing's changed at all. I can assure you there is already a mistake in his 'drawbacks' list that I'm aware of regarding what you can and can't do in the FDE. No, I won't say what it is... I get paid for my knowledge and thus keep it well guarded.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69