Sign in to follow this  
suvo

777 OOM within 2 hours of flight

Friends,

I have read the 777 intrioduction manual - multiple times..

Still want to discuss few things related to this topic, seek guidance from the experts before i solve this problem within my own comfort level.

My Machine - i7 3770k (Not Overclocked), RAM - 16GB, GPU - GTX 760 (2GB)...  The following are the only tweaks I have in my CFG in their respective sections..

[MAIN]

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.15

[TERRAIN]

LOD_RADIUS=6.500000

[bUFFERPOOLS]
UsePools=1
Poolsize=8388608
RejectThreshold=126976

[Display]
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=80     

[MAIN]
DisablePreload=1

[DISPLAY]
WideViewAspect=True

[GRAPHICS]
HIGHMEMFIX=1

I know about LOD_RADIUS and TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT - will come back to this later...

The above settings turned out to be very optimal for my PC. I am getting a constant FPS 25+ in VC and 30 in outside view and it is also locked at 30. I am quite happy with what i see in terms of smoothness and visual, so in short.... i thought this is the sweet spot of my machine with FSX.

Now I have NO third party photoscenery installed. The addons I have is as follows.. I have few add on airports though.

1. ASN - Networked on a separate machine

2. REX4 - Textures --- ALL in 1024 DXT5 format.

Cloud coverage distance - 80,

AI traffic - 10% for aircrafts, 50% for Airport vehicles, 10% for all other stuffs - Cars, ship etc etc...

Autogen settings are at - Very Dense and Very Dense...

With this above settings within a flight of 2 hours with the 777 i am hitting my VAS area of 3.2 GB.

Recently i took a flight within US. KMIA - Miami to KHSV - Huntsville and within 2 hours i had audible warning from FSUIPC and VAS was at 3.9 GB...

From the many recommendations we have in the introduction manual, I know two of the prime areas which i can reduce is the LOD_RADIUS, TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT and may be autogen down to 1 notch.

But since these settings are giving me a very nice visual, i thought of putting the scnery config editor into place and try and disable the scenery/areas which i am not flying and for a flight within the middle east, I had put in the following editing on the scenery..

Disabled all areas and kept only ASIA and all BASE, default terrain and default scenery folders alive and took the flight and have still hit the VAS of 3.5 GB in 2 hours...

Now considering the above situation..

1. Can I do anything else to reduce my VAS apart from bringing down the LOD_RADIUS and TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT? In that case I will have to scarifice some visual ..

2, Why did the scenery config editor did not show any effect..?

3. How do you all take those tremendous 7-8 hours and above continuous flights, without hitting on the VAS...

Apologies if some questions are pretty noob .. But I am quite eager to learn here and really want to take long flights with the 777.

Many thanks in advance for the help

Regards

Suvo

I did an 8 hour flight over the weekend in the 777 and didn't get above 1.5GB VAS usage. I don't use any scenery add-ons, but did use ASN for weather. I don't have my settings right now, but I'd suggest there is a heavy scenery add-on in use somewhere that's taking up an awful lot of room.

Cai - it is 1024

OOM with TML 1024 is very rare. I think there might be some memory leak resulting from sceneries. Can you show your scenery library screenshot or content?

Zicheng Cai

What happens if you don't switch to an external view during a flight?

Rob Prest

What happens if you don't switch to an external view during a flight?

Nothing - it stays the same ... I did a flight from OERK - OMDB (all FSX default airports and scenery) .... did switch to external view only once ... when parked at gate .. VAS was 3.2 GB ...

I did an 8 hour flight over the weekend in the 777 and didn't get above 1.5GB VAS usage. I don't use any scenery add-ons, but did use ASN for weather. I don't have my settings right now, but I'd suggest there is a heavy scenery add-on in use somewhere that's taking up an awful lot of room.

Karl - I dont have any third party scenery or airport installed...

3. How do you all take those tremendous 7-8 hours and above continuous flights, without hitting on the VAS...

I've flown a flight of 18h 38min from Sydney to Athens with PMDG 777LR, having some photoscenery installed in Sydney area & Flytampa Athens scenery for destination. All that in real time, no time acceleration. No OOM problems whatsoever.

I think LOD radius is simply the key to most OOM problems, I have it set to 4.500000. 

Also my autogen is set to normal & no road traffic, that might help too. 

Regards,

Joona L

OOM with TML 1024 is very rare. I think there might be some memory leak resulting from sceneries. Can you show your scenery library screenshot or content?

How to add a screenshot? :huh:  I am looking around

I have few add on airports though.

Karl - I dont have any third party scenery or airport installed...

I read this as you having some airports in addition to REX4.

My LOD RADIUS is 4.5, as with most people, so try that.

I'd also try a flight with all the scenery (autogen and scenery density) turned down to 0, and monitor VAS usage.

I read this as you having some airports in addition to REX4.

My LOD RADIUS is 4.5, as with most people, so try that.

I'd also try a flight with all the scenery (autogen and scenery density) turned down to 0, and monitor VAS usage.

Karl - Sorry my bad, have few addon airports, but didnt install it ... So all i have is what we get default with FSX and Accelaration pack.

REX4 - Yes installed and textures are added with 1024 and DTX5 format....

Just had a look at my cfg.   LOD_Radius is 6.5   Bandwidth multi =80 Texture Max load =4096 

Rex direct textures - High altitude clouds 4096, low level 1024 DTX5

No OOMs here on ultra longhaul  OMDB - KBOS, OMDB - KLAX.   All using airport addon scenery & FTX global & Vector.

Road traffic 10%

scenery complex = Dense

Autogen = Dense

So, must be more to the ops setup.  What background processes are running?  Only thing I needed to do was remove the external aircraft textures and ensure my machine runs nothing except FSX. Everything else runs of my laptop networked.

Regards

Rob Prest

OK.. May be even if insiginificant, , since i have no idea whats going on with my VAS..

1. The main FSX machine has only FSX Accelaration, REX4 Texture and EZDOK - Textures are installed as 1024 in DTX5 format..

2. The Other machine a laptop has ActiveSky Next runs in a network.. PFPX runs over the network ..

3. The Virtual Airline ACAR software runs through FSUIPC - WideFS also over the network..

4. I have no UTX, FTX, GEX - nothing,... just all the default stuff which FSX Gold provides..

5. I have no add on airplanes except the T7 and i dont intend to fly anything anytime sooner.

Usually when I fly for 2 hours outside US my VAS reports anywhere between 3 - 3.2 GB..

When I fly within the US it shoots up to 3.5GB - 3.9 GB in 2 hours and FSUIPC starts ringing.