Sign in to follow this  
corkyo4

Symbolic Links - Linking to the Scenery.cfg and DLL.xml - Useful Info

I purchased Orbx EU England a while ago and was disappointed to learn after upgrading to P3D V2.2 that it is currently not compatible with P3D V2.2. Nonetheless I decided to have a go at installing it.

The first hurdle I faced with the installer was with the selection buttons relating to FSX and P3D. Selecting the P3D option gave me an error and as expected selecting the FSX button also returned an error. I suspected this was because the registry entries weren't found as I had neither P3D V1 or FSX.

I used the FSXRegistry Utility tool from here http://www.tweakfs.com/store/free_tools.php to add an FSX entry in my registry, therefore tricking the installer in to thinking that I had FSX. Repeating the install and selecting the FSX option, the addon progressed through to the installation procedure.

Unfortunately having successfully installed all of the files at the end of the installation I received an error telling me the installer could not find the Scenery.cfg file. With no option to locate it manually I clicked ok and wondered how I could get the installer to see the file in the \AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2 folder.

I googled linking files together and found the term Symbolic Link, this in essence creates a link between two files. Placing a fake Scenery.cfg file in a fake FSX folder and linking to the actual Prepar3D Scenery.cfg would in theory do the trick. But how to do this?

I found a nifty bit of kit on Google called, Symlink Creator 1.1.1.3. It basically allows you to create a link between two files, you select the option to create a File Symbolic Link, then pick the source location (the fake FSX folder), define the name of the fake file you want to link from (scenery.cfg), select the actual file you want to link to and click create. This places what looks like a shortcut in the fake FSX folder and when clicked opens the actual file you linked to.

I have since tested this and it works a treat. I now don't receive the missing scenery.cfg error.

I have since created another symbolic link from my fake FSX folder to the DLL.xml file in the Prepar3D folder, this appears to work as well.

I assume (but I haven't tested this yet) that when installing aircraft that use a number of DLL's this would ease the pain in getting them to work - but this is only an assumption.

I would like to caveate this with - use caution when doing this, I don't accept responsibility for messing up an installation.

Thanks

Tom

NOTA BENE: I should also mention this I believe only works in Windows Vista onwards.

Edited by n4gix
Added Nota Bene: from the author

Tom

Why not read some useful tips and tricks - http://forum.avsim.n...22#entry1965722