Sign in to follow this  
peppy197

Experiences using a 4K Ultra-HD monitor

I bought a cheap SEIKI 39 inch 4K/2K monitor that seems to work just fine considering the price. (710 Can includes tax + express delivery UPS, TigerDirect.ca)

NO BEZELS  Yehhhh  !!

Max VRAM was 3630MB/3990MB(4G)

Est max RAM usage in all = 6.3G/9.6G(16G)

Was close but no OOM....P3DV22 PAJN/PANC in SAK at quite a bit high everything (30000 on shadows)

screen res was 3840 x 2160

I would recommend this monitor with a high-end videocard

THE VIEW !!!    FANTASTIC

no stutters...windows 8.1, locked fps 20 (monitor has a max of 30Hz, a limitation, but OK for P3DV22

if anyone is interested I can post pics or elaborate

http://s25.postimg.org/5yqoipjhr/fog4.jpg

Finally someone took a flyer (pun intended) on one of these. :P

My main concern is what sort of FPS loss to expect versus a 1080p monitor. What happens if you lock at 30?

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

I seem to be getting the same fps

In P3DV22 fps is less an "issue" as FSX as long as its above 15 IMO

If lock at 30 it plays 22 to 27 so I lock at 20 to reduce any stutters

It often shows less than 20 when on approach but it aint bad

I've been thinking about this a long time. Waiting for 39 inch monitor to become available and unsure how the 30hz would affect performance. Unfortunately I don't think Seiki is available in the UK.

Do you use display-port or HDMI? More photos would be nice thanks.

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

HDMI 1.4..... which is cause for the limitation to 30Hz

For iTunes and Netflix I revert to 1080p which, with a firmware update, is superb for movies at 60Hz You could get 120Hz with some tricks I have not learnt yet and get 3D I've (only) read about.

For P3DV22 30 Hz is reasonable for me

I too have read that it is not available in UK. No warehouse stock near there I suppose.

I am in Canada and even though I bought through TigerDirect.ca, it was shipped from Kentucky

HDMI 1.4..... which is cause for the limitation to 30Hz

For iTunes and Netflix I revert to 1080p which, with a firmware update, is superb for movies at 60Hz You could get 120Hz with some tricks I have not learnt yet and get 3D I've (only) read about.

For P3DV22 30 Hz is reasonable for me

I think this is the core of the concern people have (at least I have) in understanding ramifications of this limitation. Is there a difference in the image quality/user experience in locking your sim at 30 FPS with a monitor capable of a 60 or 120Hz refresh, versus locking your sim at 30 with a monitor also limited to 30?

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

yup that's the puppy

was worried it would be an immediate lemon

but it is OK :good:  for my purposes

will get more pics when I fly later, I had downsized it myself

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I must admit it can take a fps hit at more congested airports until at altitude + 10000

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The above pics were with the scenery SAK from ORBX

With more regular textures you only get this:image.jpg

which is still FTXG with Vectors,

Great screenshots, though I wish they weren't downscaled and compressed. At 1280x720 you can't see the beauty of 4K (assuming that's what you want to showcase).

My understanding is that you can only run 4k @ 30hz refresh whereas if you want 60hz on the current 4k's you drop to 1920*1080.  Is that why you are locked to 30hz refresh?

I love the idea of the resolution just not the limitation of the refresh...  

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

I am at 30Hz which I rarely surpass in P3DV22 anyways with all the settings and addons I use

A lock on 20 fps is fluid for me and why this monitor is acceptable IMHO

If you want to fly an fps machine, then that's your way

The 1920x1080 is 60Hz, can be made to go to 120 Hz but I have not yet

I MUST ADMIT landing at night in Vancouver dropped the fps to 10 at touchdown

and at FsDreamTeam's KJFK, 10 on takeoff at night but .... no so hot.

If you want to fly an fps machine, then that's your way

To each their own.  20 FPS is great for some, not for others.  I am enroute to LLBG right now where I will land at 60 fps limited by my 60hz 2048*1536 30 inch monitor.  The difference between 20FPS and 60 FPS @60hz or even 30 FPS on a 30hz monitor is night and day.  I checked your specs though, do you still run the same video card you have in your system specs?  Have you considered a GTX 780 or something of the sorts to push the monitor?  If you can get to 30 fps on a 30hz refresh your experience will be transformed.

EDIT:  Also, please don't misinterpret my comments, your monitor and the amount you fit into a single screen is phenomenal!  Absolutely beautiful, no doubt about it!!!

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

I think my R9 290 is on par with a 780 besides I really need 4G VRAM

Sure I could make it 30

But I would have to reduce my 20 layers of clouds in ASN to 4, actually I like 12

would have to reduce my ultra setting for LOD

would have the reduce  AI

would have to turn off HRD

then why bother get 30 with no candy?

20 in this sim is smooth as silk no stutters at all in windows 8.1, in windows 7 I was getting a lot of stutters so I need more fps

however once I try landing at a big airport it goes down the hill to 10, occasionally less :t4013: