Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

My New observations in P3D

The best hope for a new, ground up, platform is LM making a business decision (commercial customers most likely) that it makes good sense to invest all the time and money to make something forward thinking for years to come.

Without that, you'd likely just have no options but X-Plane if they just decided to "drop" ESP.

Hard to say, but I'm not sure the enthusiast flight sim market is really that relevant or large (sadly). After all, there had to be some reason MS just quit, no?

As it is, and if things are as bleak as some think (not me), we may have a few goes of updates from LM and they still just drop it and move along.

LM is a HUGE company. This means almost nothing to them and their bottom line I'm positive.

After all, there had to be some reason MS just quit, no?

It's not MS has made any other bad decisions recently. :Shocked: 

It's not MS has made any other bad decisions recently. :Shocked: 

I guess what I was implying is that perhaps it was a simple decision of - Not enough people buy this product (FSX) and it costs us "X" to keep maintaining...

Not worth it....dump it.

Might have been that simple, no?

But the faster it goes away, the faster a new platform will emerge, and a totally new platform coded from the ground up will lay to rest all of the legacy flaws in performance that have always and will always plague anything with the same DNA as FSX.

I'll get right on that, paypal $90,000,000 US to my account ... and I'll get right back to you ASAP with product in hand so you can personally beta test it for me and all sales will go directly to you.  Thank you and have a nice day.

Cheers, Rob.

So, we have to kill good and already working platform for the sake of non-existent future product. If there's a developer crazy enough to code a new sim from scratch, I'll be the one buying first version just for support.

@Rob, (pretend race car driver guy),  :rolleyes:

I promise I'm not desperate, friend.    Frustrated that LM is impeding progress toward a totally new platform - yes.      Only when the plug is officially pulled on P3D will this start to happen.     We had hope when Microsoft summarily fired the entire Flight Simulator team (as they should have), but LM dug through the trash and tried to make a buck off of the tattered remnants of ESP.   

Guess what though?    LM's commercial sales of P3D are predictably abysmal (a good thing).     This is why Prepar3d developers are now privately making such broad overtures toward the entertainment sector which they so publicly disassociate themselves from.     Remember that P3D is not licensed for entertainment use, but boy oh boy are LM suddenly rushing to Orbx, Just Flight, Carenado, et. al., to fill the void in their content.     Sort of seems like a conflict of interest and in direct violation of their ESP license from Microsoft (hello legal woes), but when sales are close to non-existent otherwise....

This is why Prepar3d is ultimately doomed (a good thing).      But the faster it goes away, the faster a new platform will emerge, and a totally new platform coded from the ground up will lay to rest all of the legacy flaws in performance that have always and will always plague anything with the same DNA as FSX.        End of story.   

Why do you expect from Lockheed Martin to reinvent the wheel? They're doing what many of us want; create a great platform for our existing add-ons because FSX is not good enough. If you're looking for a simulator made from scratch, then look at Outerra. I'm willing to support Lockheed Martin because I really want something that is like FSX but performs and looks better, and I'm willing to support Outerra because it's the future.

This thread has sure taken a turn for the worse .   :bad: 

It was a good conversation until some baseless and inflammatory comments were made.  I think this thread should be closed so I know....  Let's talk about the P3D EULA.  That will do the trick.  :t0152: 

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

I know Richard and he's a really good bloke and wants to let us know how his P3D is going, and that's all good stuff. I don't mind Aarons comedy take on the FS situation, but coming into this thread and poke fun out of people is unnecessarily rude. What you could have done Aaron, is make a new subject and entertain us from there. You should apologise to Rich and Rob, they spend a lot of time helping others.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Thanks Steve - really appreciate the kind words - Steve is 100% correct why this thread has gone in the direction I have no idea, I will start a new thread for my latest findings and settings that are where I am at with tweaks I use now at this stage of the game - hope it helps others - after work tonight I will get to it - take care all 

Rich Sennett

I'm not sure I understand Aaron's point.  I haven't tried XP, and I am curious about it.  He seems to indicate at first that it is much better than P3D, but then later seems to want an entirely new platform built from scratch?  Perhaps he could explain.

Also, I wonder why it is that XPlane has such a low user base, and why so many people try it out, and then come back over.  A lot of comments seem to indicate that it looks good at first but it lacks depth.  So I'm wondering what it is that XP is missing?

Thanks Steve - really appreciate the kind words - Steve is 100% correct why this thread has gone in the direction I have no idea, I will start a new thread for my latest findings and settings that are where I am at with tweaks I use now at this stage of the game - hope it helps others - after work tonight I will get to it - take care all

Richard, feel free to carry on in this thread if you like. For at least the next week Aaron will be on vacation from AVSIM.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Ok Bill - thanks - I was not sure what to do - take care.

Rich Sennett

I very much appreciate your findings Richard - I've had P3D for a couple of weeks now and am still in two minds as to whether I'll ask for a refund or stick with it and continue tweaking so all thoughts and experiences help.

Your thoughts about only using the 1024 texture setting is very interesting as I was also getting blurred ground textures occasionally. When I'm home on the PC tonight I'll try your tweaks and post back with my findings. 

I'd already switched off HDR as it made everything look too dark - a bit like flying with sunglasses on when there's no sun!

Regards

Adam

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

Hello Austin, nice of you to drop by.

how's the Ai and ATC coming along in 10.3 ?

Lol...

Fr. Bill. My faith has been restored!!

James McLees