Sign in to follow this  

Hello Question is:

What make the slider "cloud layers" in ASN?.

there are no changes in depiction.

See my Weather:

2c78b4-1401010964.jpg

with layers 0:

aa206a-1401011210.jpg

with default, layers 5

718e51-1401011266.png

and also 20 layers:

3c46f8-1401011303.jpg

this looks the same...

ASN will inject only those clouds necessary to conform to the current METAR at that location, regardless of how many cloud layers you have set.

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

Hm...

so this slider is "not in function" in real-Live weather mode.

No, that is not the case at all.  ASN, again, will only generate clouds as appropriate for the wx being depicted.  If the METAR says 100% clear you will never see a cloud depicted.  If the METAR says overcast at (some level above the ground) you should see overcast at that level.  I don't see indicated what sim you are flying, but try this:  For FSX set your clouds layers at "5" and leave it alone for some extended period.  For P3D set the layers at "3" and try things a while.  Go to historical mode (see the manual for proper use) and try to find some wx you know to be whatever difficult conditions you choose.  Rain, snow, etc. 

But it can't, and won't, generate clouds when there are none to generate.

Nicely put, Dan, And try another test...fly in weather and location with a METAR that includes more than one cloud layer and clouds at various levels. Throw in a CB cell or two,,,then you'll see a real difference between 2-3 layers and 5-6 or more. The cloud layer slider is fully functional in ASN.

But beware, if you bump that slider up too high, your sim might bog down in terms of framerate as it struggles to draw all of those clouds. I leave mine at 5, although 3 doesn't look half bad and is easier on framerates in heavy weather.

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

So why do I still see the weather with Cloud Layer set=0?

Surely Cloud layer=0 means NO CLOUD LAYERS?

That's what it tells me in plain english.

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

Hi,

it's obvious that this option/setting needs renaming, or clarifications need to be added. Let me explain how things work. In ASN there are 2 kinds of clouds:

- The ones coming from "raw data" (like e.g. a metar). 

- The ones that are the result of ASN post-processing of these data (through interpolation, moisture calculations etc etc).

This option only affects the latter. In general most metars rarely report more than 2-3 layers (and almost in no case more than 5-6, because it's meaningless). So, what this option does is affect mostly how clouds are depicted in the between the stations areas. And that's how it has a significant impact on performance. So, we should rename this to reflect what it actually does. I think we should avoid though overriding what the metar says . 

Thanks,

Kostas Terzides

devteam_bannerA.png

Thanks for the explanation Kostas. That makes sense to me  now!

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

Is it normal that after flying serveral hundred miles, I have no clouds? The sky is empty and the simulator does not generate new ones?

I9 12900K @ 5.1ghz P-cores/ 4.0 ghz E-cores fixed HT off / Corsair iCue H150i Capellix Cooler/ MSI Z690 CARBON WiFi / 32GB Corsair DDR5 RAM @ 5200 mhz XMP on / 12GB MSI 4090 RTX Ventus 3 / 7,5 total TB SSD (2+2+2+1+0,5 all NVMe)/ PSU 850W Corsair / 27" (1080P)