Sign in to follow this  
rufowler

thinking about using a second computer

Newbie question here.  Sorry in advance if this should be obvious.  :)

Apparently a lot of folks use a second networked computer to run some of the programs that don't directly impact FSX and the actual flying environment, and I'm not sure if it's worth it for me to set something like this up.

I have a so-so desktop with two monitors (see my specs if you'd like) which is definitely going to be my main FSX machine; it's not a beauty, but it works ok enough for now.  And I also have a laptop just lying around.  (Nothing fancy at all: Toshiba Satellite, i3 @ 2.5 Ghz, 8 Gb, no GPU.)  Perhaps it would be smart to put it to use somehow.  If so, what would I run off of it?  My flight planning software?  Programs like AirHauler (or other career addons like FsCommander and FsCaptain)?  Other software that essentially "watches" you fly like Rex Latitude?  I'm a bit confused.

More importantly, will setting up a second computer have a meaningful impact on how FSX performs on my main system, or do people do this just to have an extra screen open that doesn't interfere with the cockpit view & controls?

Fyi, I have registered/paid versions of both FSUIPC4 and WideFS, though to be honest, I've done very little with them.  Both machines run on Windows 8.  Thanks!

I've got two monitors hooked up to one computer via DVI-I and DVI-D. The utilities I use run on an internet browser, and I do not have any FSX interference. For clarification, no framerate drops or graphics errors. If you're going to run an application on the laptop that needs feed from FSX to function correctly and to it's potential, it will not run properly because it can't link itself to FSX, unless you use WideFS. WideFS is only usable over LAN as well.

More importantly, will setting up a second computer have a meaningful impact on how FSX performs on my main system, or do people do this just to have an extra screen open that doesn't interfere with the cockpit view & controls?

I don't think setting up a program that connects to FSX on another computer via WideFS will affect performance on either side.

However, I don't need a second computer to run these programs, just a dual monitor set up.

Hope I helped :)

I've got two monitors hooked up to one computer via DVI-I and DVI-D. The utilities I use run on an internet browser, and I do not have any FSX interference. For clarification, no framerate drops or graphics errors

So you're saying you don't use the second laptop to be able to run utilities off the web while running FSX?  I've got 2 HD monitors connected to my desktop as well, but I've easily filled both of them with various FSX views & panels.  I guess I'm just not sure why people run a second system along side FSX ... unless it's just to get an additional screen.

If you're going to run an application on the laptop that needs feed from FSX to function correctly and to it's potential, it will not run properly because it can't link itself to FSX, unless you use WideFS. WideFS is only usable over LAN as well.

I've got paid versions of both FSUIPC4 and WideFS, so that wouldn't be a problem.  Will a second computer be able to run WideFS through a wifi network, or does it have to be physically wired to the main FSX machine?

I don't think setting up a program that connects to FSX on another computer via WideFS will affect performance on either side.

Huh.  So I suppose if it doesn't help with freeing up performance resources on the main sim machine, some folks use second computer just for the extra display?

So you're saying you don't use the second laptop to be able to run utilities off the web while running FSX?  I've got 2 HD monitors connected to my desktop as well, but I've easily filled both of them with various FSX views & panels.  I guess I'm just not sure why people run a second system along side FSX ... unless it's just to get an additional screen.

It's your choice to run your other software on the same computer or on another one. Maybe you might find it more comfortable to run FSX related programs on another system. Or it may be your system does not perform as appropriately when there are other running programs.

I've got 2 HD monitors connected to my desktop as well, but I've easily filled both of them with various FSX views & panels.

In that case, you can try installing another monitor if you have available slots, or use a separate system.

Will a second computer be able to run WideFS through a wifi network, or does it have to be physically wired to the main FSX machine?

No, it does not have to be wired, however both computers have to be connected to the same network.

Huh.  So I suppose if it doesn't help with freeing up performance resources on the main sim machine, some folks use second computer just for the extra display?

Sorry, I meant there will be no negative impact on performance. It should free up resources on your sim machine.

Ok, thanks Dickens.  Appreciate the input!  :)

Anyone else out there want to weigh in on the benefits of running some addons off another networked system?  Is it just for the extra screen?

Anyone else out there want to weigh in on the benefits of running some addons off another networked system?

I run Radar Contact and Proflight Emulator on networked laptops via WideFS, I find that both of these run smoother than they did when I used them on the main FSX/P3D machine, the other advantage is that the ATC windows displays are not cluttering up the main FSX/P3D view.

I also run FScommander networked via WideFS to take avantage of it's moving map.

I run ASN networked as it seems to have zero impact on FSX/P3D using it this way and I have access to it's UI at all times.

I am using old IBM thinkpads, a T60 and T42, so nothing too fancy but it all works very well.

It also means I can keep an eye on Avsim during those long sectors.

You will not regret going networked and as you already have WideFS and Simconnect you may as well give it a try.

the other advantage is that the ATC windows displays are not cluttering up the main FSX/P3D view.

I obviously haven't gotten to know my FSUIPC4 / WideFS well enough yet, but how to get ATC message to appear somewhere other than right in front of me?  I'd love to put those things aside to a connected laptop!

It is easy, go to Peter dowsons forum and download Showtext by Rob van der wiele

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/66136-useful-additional-programs/

Put this on your laptop which has Wide client running and when you run it it will show your Radar contact display remotely on the Laptop.

You will then be able to get rid of the transparent Fsuipc display on your FSX screen

If you have never configured Wide Client you will need to enter the ip address of your FSX machine in your WideClient.ini found in your WideFs directory.

PM me if you have any problems getting it going

[Config]
Visible=Min
ButtonScanInterval=20
ClassInstance=0
NetworkTiming=5,1
MailslotTiming=2000,1000
PollInterval=2000
Port=8002
ServerName=---,---,---,---
Protocol=TCP
Port2=9002
ResponseTime=18
ApplicationDelay=0
TCPcoalesce=No
WaitForNewData=500
MaxSendQ=100
OnMaxSendQ=Log
NewSendScanTime=50
Priority=3,1,2
Window=0,0,112,27
[sounds]
Path=C:\Program Files\WideFS\Sound\
Device1=Primary Sound Driver
Device2=SoundMAX Digital Audio

It is easy, go to Peter dowsons forum and download Showtext by Rob van der wiele

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/66136-useful-additional-programs/

Put this on your laptop which has Wide client running and when you run it it will show your Radar contact display remotely on the Laptop.

You will then be able to get rid of the transparent Fsuipc display on your FSX screen

If you have never configured Wide Client you will need to enter the ip address of your FSX machine in your WideClient.ini found in your WideFs directory.

PM me if you have any problems getting it going

Wow, thanks so much, mad dog!  I'll definitely give this a go this weekend when a have a few hours to fiddle with FSX.  This is great.  Cheers!

I set up a network via a laptop for Aivlasoft but I never use it! The fact is my PC is fast and its quicker and easier to pull up Aivlasoft on my second screen rather than my networked laptop that is slower to load,

Make sure you checkout what programs are best suited for a network first  eg the OPUS devs dont recommend it because there is so little impact.

However I am considering firing up the network again but only to free up more screen space and NOT to save frames as I didn't notice any impact

ZORAN

Hey guys I'm a lost soul when it comes to setting up a network. Like rufowler I have a desktop and laptop and would like to run my FSC,AIVLASOFT EFB, PFPX on the laptop and desktop I have FSX, ASN. I have installed FSUIPC to main FSX pc & WIDEFS7 to laptop. my problem is I don't know how to properly setup my network to get everything working. Can someone provide a tutorial or walk me thru the setup?  Thanks

Don