Sign in to follow this  
klamal

MSEv2 areas that are better than SimSavvy versions?

Hello.

With all the sales going on right now, especially the 50% MSE stuff, I was wondering if there was anyone out there that happened to have the SimSavvy stuff for the US that has now gotten MSEv2 stuff.  Are there any states that are by far better in MSEv2 than they were in SimSavvy?  Sorry, I don't really have a particular state in mind to ask for comparison.  Just curious if anyone has found obvious areas that were really improved.

Thanks.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

I also have Sim Savvy, but did not like how there is no water masking near the coast lines.  I was wondering the same thing as Klamal, and if the states on the coast lines such as California have water masking? 

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

Hi there,

I don`t have the MSEv2 California scenery, but the ones for Florida, Washington and Oregon. There is definitely a big improvement over Sim Savy, when it comes to water masking. But to be honest, at least for me it is still far from perfect, as in many cases the original MS FSX coastlines bleed through. Another issue is a strange color-band along the coast and the shores of each lake. This makes flying along the coastline a bit unreal.

According to MSE, there is very little they can do about it, which I find a pity, as other companies seem to have no problems with this issue. One such example is France VFR for the French coast lines. On the other hand, many people don`t seem to be bothered by this, so I can only speak for myself.  For that reason I won`t buy any more MSEv2 coastal states, even at a 50% discount.

I am not sure, whether I am allowed to say this here, but for California I use the freeware "blueskyscenery". No water masking issues whatsoever.  

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

MSE V2 is technically Sim Savvy as MSE developers are now using him to create MSE. This issue has been discussed in length here before but I saw a lot of anomalies in the LA area along the coast. For that reason I had to install MegaSceneryX SoCal to fix the problem. I never bought the Sim Savvy scenery but now own 98% of the US so cannot make any comparisons. I like it and so do many others. I think much of it is still SimSavvy stuff as MSE did not have a lot of states completed for MSE V1. Some want total perfection but I am extremely happy with what has been released so far. The issues I saw with MSE V2 in LAX were a lot of super-imposing scenery on the shores near KLAX. I had a hard time seeing it until someone brought it up. If there is anything that makes me unhappy with the scenery is the fact that night lighting is poor and you would be best to disable the scenery and use the default if you are flying at night.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I accept the water masking flaws as USA is huge country, and got all the states collected, but I am hope to see Canada sometime.  The water masking I think needs improvements but technology is required to do at cost effective manner does not exist yet. Minnesota has 10,000 or more lakes and look at Manitoba like 100,000 lakes or more.  Just hope developer works on Canada as it more my trolling vfr grounds than Europe is.  

Jim,

Do you have any screenshots of the water masking near KLAX using Mega Scenery Earth V2?  I am curious if its worth purchasing as I already have Mega Scenery X So Cal.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

Hi,

Well I've been going nuts with this 50% off sale. I now own 85% of the USA in MSEv2, and own every MSEv1 title they made. My BIG gripe like others is the water masking. Every body of water has a gradient to it that none of my v1 areas have, so I purposely plan flights to avoid v2 water. I still use and prefer v1 areas, and run them over v2 areas as the textures are sharper, colors more realistic, and no gradients in water. I wish the same developer had been employed for v2 as v1.

I also bought half a dozen MSE Ultra-Res cities, and these are fantastic, however there is bad bleed through problems running them over v2, fortunately several areas have a exclude list on the pcaviatot forums that fix the problem, but not all, so I wont be buying any more Ultra-Res areas till they have exclude list for them all. My last gripe would be the pcaviator support and forums themselves. I've tried emailing them for support several times over the last couple years, and have NEVER got any reply from them, and the only way I can access their forums is with a proxy browser.

So with the gripes out of the way, I'm very pleased over all with MSEv2, and have spent countless hours of carefully flight planned flights over MSEv2. I don't think I would spend full price for it, but at 50% off its been money well spent for me at least.

Chris Strobel

Irvine, CA

www.flightdeck1.com

Jim,

Do you have any screenshots of the water masking near KLAX using Mega Scenery Earth V2?  I am curious if its worth purchasing as I already have Mega Scenery X So Cal.

You might want to look into getting MSE Ultra-Res Cities LA/San Diego and run it over your Mega Scenery X So Cal. That is what I do and it looks great. I live in Irvine and I can see my house and red Jeep in the driveway lol.

Chris Strobel

Irvine, CA

www.flightdeck1.com

Chris Strobel KSNA

original.jpg

Thanks for the information. I love photo scenery, but it's a shame they can't seem to fix the water masking issues and night lighting. 

Yes its a shame they didn't talk with the developer about the issue before he went on and did the whole USA, and I assume it would be un-realistic for him to go and and fix all the water bodies at this point. But for me its kinda saved the hobby for me as I get extremely bored with the repetitiveness and unrealistic textures of Orbx scenery at any altitude (though I still shoot some low and slow approaches into Orbx alaska on occasion) And since MSEv2 quality various quite a bit even within a single state itself, its kinda fun to roam the USA looking for those areas that just pop, and when they do its stunning.

Chris Strobel KSNA

original.jpg

I accept water masking as no other places for Midwest scenery. Been correcting runways and rebuild small fields in fsx. Get instant scenery, instant object maker, airport studio, google earth is your tools. Got like 20 ga fields corrected Minnesota and Iowa fields will keep me busy.