Sign in to follow this  
bmr

EXE.XML and DLL.XML help

I have been having some strange issues, and short of wiping out my system and rebuilding, I am not sure where to look.

Basically, the Add-on drop down items are not consistenting working.  Example FSUIPC shows in the drop down, but selecting it does not bring up the  FSUIPC screen.   I have aicarriers in the EXE.XML, but

it does not start with FSX and does not show in the drop down.   When I start FSX, FSX.EXE and COUATL.EXE are in the  task manager.   If I shutdown FSX, they are removed from the task manager.  If I start FSX, select FSUIPC, which does not do anything, when I exit FSX, FSX.EXE and COUATL.EXE remain in the task manager.   I have restore my system back to June, I have removed and added programs, I have reinstalled my video drivers, I have started with new FSX.CFG, etc. and  nothing seems to work consistently.  Late last night, I got most working, I then relicensed ASN, installed KIAD 1.2 upgrade, reran Stand Alone

manager, and now things are not working.   The system seems to have a mind of it's own.

I hope someone can point me in the right direction to try and trouble shoot these issues.   I have been working on this for 3 days now.

Thanks

Bill

Hi Bill. To start with, I'd recommend uninstalling the FSDT Addon Manager, Couatl and all related support files
and forget you ever had them :)   Then try to identify all desired (known reliable) add-ons (FSUIPC, etc)
that are not working properly and uninstall them too. Then test FSX to see if everything appears to be working
normally without all the add-ons. If yes,  then reinstall (latest version) of each add-on.  Recommend

installing the desired add-ons one at a time > and accomplishing a test run of FSX after each add-on

installation.  This may reveal a "problem" add-on.  On the other hand it may help place all the necessary

entries back into their required positions in the FSX related configuration files.

Hope this helps,

Ken

Ken Boardman

Ken:

Thanks for the suggestions.   I will start that process tonight when I get home from work.

I'm not sure if it's really advisable to uninstall the addon manager only, it's there for a purpose, and that purpose is to allow some addons to run in the "full version" mode. As I understand that (sometimes not so easy to handle) software, it is responsible to check whether you have a valid licence key for the FSDT and FlightBeam airpotrs, as well as for a few other addons. So uninstalling it may cause some other problems. However, I think that following Ken's advice regarding un- and reinstalling is very likely to be successful - but since you have to reinstall a lot already, I'd actually suggest to completely remove everything associated with FSX and install it again. That is of course a lot more troublesome, but that way you can make sure you have a clean install.

Btw, I'd like to pass on a friendly reminder to you that AVSIM's signature rules have changed, and it's no longer allowed to have the system specs in there. Please remove them and put them in the "My PC" tab of your profile (Go to your profile -> Edit Profile -> scroll down to the "MY PC" section and fill in the form), that way your specs will appear below your avatar.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Best regards,

I decided last night to completely rebuild system, as I think the underlying issue maybe corrupt Windows files.   I will start this in the few days.  Thanks for your all your suggestions.

When you say corrupt Windows files..I am curious because I am experiencing the same type of issue.

FSUIPC will appear for some planes and when it does it won't open.

Also RAASPro won't appear anymore. I did a delete of the trusted section of the FSX.CFG file but still having the problem.

Looks like a reinstall will be happening if I can't resolve it.

When you say corrupt Windows files..I am curious because I am experiencing the same type of issue.

FSUIPC will appear for some planes and when it does it won't open.

Also RAASPro won't appear anymore. I did a delete of the trusted section of the FSX.CFG file but still having the problem.

Looks like a reinstall will be happening if I can't resolve it.

When the Addon Manager is installed into your dll.xml, it saves a copy of your previous dll.xml called "dll.xml_Before_Addon_Manager". So you can delete the dll.xml or move the current one to another temp folder and rename the "dll.xml_Before_Addon_Manager" one to dll.xml. Now you can reinstall the Addon Manager.

For the FSUIPC entry, you can delete the entry made in the dll.xml, save, and reinstall the FSUIPC. I doubt there is a problem with the entry in the dll.xml though. I think the fix is in the next paragraph.

When you start up FSX, make sure you start it up with Admin Rights. You can also go to the main FSX folder and right click FSX.exe and select Properties. Click on the compatibility tab and look for the Privilege Level and make sure "Run this program as an administrator" is enabled. If that is not enabled, then click on Change settings for all users and enable it. Make sure the FSX main folder is shared by going to the main folder and right clicking on the folder and then selecting Properties. Once open, click on the Share Tab. If it says, Not Shared, then click on Advanced and enable sharing. It should enable sharing in all sub-folders too. If you have an addon located in another folder, I would make sure this folder is shared with all users too.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

When the Addon Manager is installed into your dll.xml, it saves a copy of your previous dll.xml called "dll.xml_Before_Addon_Manager". So you can delete the dll.xml or move the current one to another temp folder and rename the "dll.xml_Before_Addon_Manager" one to dll.xml. Now you can reinstall the Addon Manager.

For the FSUIPC entry, you can delete the entry made in the dll.xml, save, and reinstall the FSUIPC. I doubt there is a problem with the entry in the dll.xml though. I think the fix is in the next paragraph.

When you start up FSX, make sure you start it up with Admin Rights. You can also go to the main FSX folder and right click FSX.exe and select Properties. Click on the compatibility tab and look for the Privilege Level and make sure "Run this program as an administrator" is enabled. If that is not enabled, then click on Change settings for all users and enable it. Make sure the FSX main folder is shared by going to the main folder and right clicking on the folder and then selecting Properties. Once open, click on the Share Tab. If it says, Not Shared, then click on Advanced and enable sharing. It should enable sharing in all sub-folders too. If you have an addon located in another folder, I would make sure this folder is shared with all users too.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim -- Thanks..I will check into these settings and follow your instruction and see what happens.

i need a whole new dll.xml recreated and it still gives me the eroor saying wrong encoding.

Did you follow the instructions in the following link - http://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a92/dll_xml-information-and-troubleshooting.aspx? I suspect you tried to recreate a new dll.xml. That's difficult to do for a computer novice if there is none in the same folder as your fsx.cfg. A lot of people do not know how to save a file as a dll.xml and usually end up saving it as dll.txt. If the link does not help you or you cannot create a dll.xml, then you will have to repair fsx by inserting your first dvd and selecting the repair option. Make sure you do the same for Acceleration OR SP2 too (not both, just Acceleration OR SP2). Perhaps you have a friend who can send you a basic dll.xml. The dll.xml or exe.xml will not be created if you restart fsx like the fsx.cfg. You might also try installing the FSDT Addon Manager (if you own one of their products and I think that program will create one if the program does not see it.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

1. im not a computer novice. 2. i forgot to mention i installed fsrecorder and fsdreamteam didnt like that, and corrupted the whole thing. i finally fixed it withing my CFG. The graphics portion wasn't labeled(who knew that had something to do with it). and it installed everything and working better now.