Sign in to follow this  
calooom

DoveTail Games Buys Licensing Deal with Microsoft

Well I just took a look at the review for X-Plane10 on Steam.

Did you happen to get the email from Austin about his new project, a racing game for mobile devices?

But without the validation servers we won't be able to use it.  I guess we just have to wait and see.

Did you know those same servers are the activation servers for many other MS products as well?

..and as far as I'm aware none of them are legal

I'm pretty sure that denying customers access to legally purchased software would also be illegal.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

In most EULA's provided by MS and others, there are generally exclusionary rights that the developer retains that basically say "we can nullify your rights to this software usage at our discretion".  That's not what it says precisely, it's wrapped in legal-ese wording.  However, were this the case, you still have rights.

But.. if you hack the DRM on a set of disks that you legally own, I seriously doubt you could be prosecuted in any court.  MS would have to notify you that your right to access is denied, and then would have to offer some type of recompensation, etc.  They can't just switch off your software.

Consumer and Multimedia products

Microsoft will offer Mainstream Support for either a minimum of 5 years from the date of a product’s general availability, or for 2 years after the successor product (N+1) is released, whichever is longer. Extended Support is not offered for Consumer and Multimedia products. Products that release new versions annually, such as Microsoft Streets & Trips, will receive a minimum of 3 years of Mainstream Support from the product's date of availability. Most products will also receive at least 8 years of online self-help support.

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifepolicy

Mainstream Support End Date for FSX is   13 January 2015

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=11941

To me it looks like when mainstream support for a Windows version ends. Doesn't indicate whether activation will be stopped on that day or not.

That's for FSX, not Windows...

"Extending mainstream support end date since no successor packaged PC product, remaining demand and actively used game."

Well that's good to hear.

This response came straight from Dovetail on their steam hub:

There seems to be a bit of confusion here. Hopefully this will clear the situation up.

Dovetail Games has acquired the rights to distribute the multi-award winning Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Gold Edition via Valve's popular digital retail channel, Steam, entitles Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition. Box distribution remains in control of Microsoft and is unrelated to the announcement we have made. We will be acting as a publisher for Microsoft in relation to FSX. We have a license to re=release FSX on Steam and this does not extend to making product improvements. Ultimately overall direction for the product remains with Microsoft.

As stated we have also acquired a global licensing deal with Microsoft, granting us the rights to develop and publish all-new flight products based on Microsoft's genre-defining flight technology. We are currently investigating new concepts in this area and is expecting to bring a release to market in 2015

- Martin

Well if dovetail will make a train simulator i think they might be dumb enough to do it for a flight simulator.

as train  simulators bugs is not fixed which makes it a hassle for developers.

That's for FSX, not Windows...

"Extending mainstream support end date since no successor packaged PC product, remaining demand and actively used game."

Well that's good to hear.

Since, Microsoft is still "selling" FSX  in their "Microsoft Store", ( both Standard & Gold Editions) ,   they should be at least allowing purchasers to Activate it for a few more years  (at a minimum), even if they are not giving "online technical support"  ???

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store?SiteID=msusa&Locale=en_US&Action=DisplayProductSearchResultsPage&result=&keywords=flight+simulator

Well if dovetail will make a train simulator i think they might be dumb enough to do it for a flight simulator.

as train  simulators bugs is not fixed which makes it a hassle for developers.

My last post is from dovetail and they basically said they can only sell FSX on steam and they cannot make product improvements and the boxed set will be completely separate from steam. So we should have no worries about FSX turning into Train Simulator because Microsoft still owns FSX. The only worry for FSX now is IF Microsoft will keep the activation servers online.

Remember :

"On January 19, 2007, Microsoft announced the relaunch of the Microsoft Train Simulator project. This time the game was being made in-house by ACES Game Studio (Microsoft Game Studios) known for its long line of Microsoft Flight Simulators, as a part of the "Games for Windows" initiative. The game would have used the Microsoft Flight Simulator X graphics engine and it was planned to be compatible with both Windows Vista and Windows XP. A post on the 'The Little Wheel Goes in Back' blog, written by one of the developers, on August 23, 2007 suggested the working title was 'Train Simulator 2'"

Note: "The game would have used the Microsoft Flight Simulator X graphics engine"

Source:   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Train_Simulator