Sign in to follow this  
calooom

DoveTail Games Buys Licensing Deal with Microsoft

The activation server conspiracy is pretty far fetched in my opinion.  No company in their right mind would change their distribution and security (DRM) method then completely shutdown the previous method and if they did, they wouldn't do it without a contingency plan in place for current key holders. It doesn't even make any sense why a company would do that.  I could easily see MS or Dovetail (in cooperation with MS) setting on a key transfer system.. Enter in your current CD-Key and get a Steam Activation code in return.  Wouldn't be the first, or last time a company allowed their IP to be transfered to Steam.. Kerbal currently allows it also.

They did that exactly for European Truck Simulator 2; when they moved over to steam the pre steam versions were given free keys on steam to redownload or use the original downloads.

I've never cared from him personally. It's a lot of talk and no walk. 

He is by far the best snake oil salesman  I've ever seen. 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

They did that exactly for European Truck Simulator 2; when they moved over to steam the pre steam versions were given free keys on steam to redownload or use the original downloads.

SCS still sells their products directly and through traditional vendors. They have not as of yet moved only to Steam. However you are quite correct that I can create a Steam account, then use my existing keys to activate a "Steam version" of ETS2 and my DLC if I wish to do so. The which I do not at this time.

Will this halt the development and sales of current add-ons?

Of course not... why would it?

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Well here we go again....LOL I don't have a clue about this outfit. I do know that Tom said they paid a ton of money for this junk deal. All of you who are saying "At least I have FSX" and "MS will not shut down their servers" consider this. If I was a fly by night company taking this sort of gamble I sure as hell first would have told MS you have to shut down your FSx servers or its a deal breaker. Now what I have done is created an instant cash flow from all those folks who can not under stand Prepar3D or just want to keep flying FSX.

I am just an old nobody and there was no reason for anyone to notice but I made several changes to my signature banner several days ago. :Whistle:

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

PREPAR3D:  Is LM going to go with mass consumer sales and licensing for 3d party payware?

spacer.png

At least I have FSX.

MS will not shut down their servers.

I understand what P3D is.

I will just keep flying FSX for a long, long time.

"We never forget who we're working for." Our stockholders.

SCS still sells their products directly and through traditional vendors. They have not as of yet moved only to Steam. However you are quite correct that I can create a Steam account, then use my existing keys to activate a "Steam version" of ETS2 and my DLC if I wish to do so. The which I do not at this time.

Will this halt the development and sales of current add-ons?

n4gix, on 09 Jul 2014 - 8:18 PM, said:

Of course not... why would it?

Glad to see some down to earth sanity in this thread!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I'd hazard a guess that existing keys for Boxed FSX will be grandfathers and at some point the owners of those keys will to told that they have to use Steam to activate after a reinstall. That is unless MS have to continue to Provide activation through their own server for technical reasons that I certainly wouldn't understand. I would also hazard a guess that in 2015 what they release will be an updated version of flight. Nothing radically different is going to emerge. With XPX, P3D, FSX back and Flight back next year along with all the other Options like AeroFlyFS and DCS world etc. Seems to me that there is something for everybody. Its like flying games and Flight Simulation is experiencing quite the renaissance. I can't remember it being this active since the days when fly and Falcon4 where around.

CLEARLY, XPX is the the alternative, maybe the future.

Can't touch it until real weather and AI/ATC is addressed to the level we have it in the FS series.  You make a valid point but XPX is not viable with missing features but to each his own.  

That being said I hope this doesn't turn out to be a Papa Tango situation that actually succeeded because if DT messes this up or goes cold on the effort no one will be able to pick up the pieces and move forward with the franchise even if they have the money as MS has already sold certain rights to DT (how exclusive these rights are we don't know).   As I said before the stone cold fact is the only effort we have that is truly ours (in the legacy state comparable to FSX/P3D, FlightGear need not apply) to use/re-install as much as we like is FS9.  All other efforts can get the rug pulled out from under them at any time, P3D included...  It's a small point but to me it's troublesome to have to be concerned about a product you purchased years ago when the developer/publisher today decides to go another direction, it shouldn't be an after thought let alone a thought.  I can understand OS compatibility issues but not being able to re-install something I bought because of draconian registration policies thanks to pirates is really sad... Theft has affected us more than many care to realize.  

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Dillon:  agree XPX is missing some significant abilities like good ATC ( I use Radar Contact).  As well, no good AI traffic features.

spacer.png

All of this probably won't mean a hill of beans for maybe the next 5 years except maybe the ones who liked "Flight" may be happy. Before everyone gets to excited about even "Flight" they should realize how this is going to affect your cost. Right now we have many who just screw themselves through the ceiling over the prices of add ons. Now the developers have to make a profit to live on and then this train outfit is going to need feeding and then MS. I have a hard time seeing developers like Flight 1 and the others who put out quality products wanting to support this idea.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

All of this probably won't mean a hill of beans for maybe the next 5 years except maybe the ones who liked "Flight" may be happy. Before everyone gets to excited about even "Flight" they should realize how this is going to effect you cost. Right now we have many who just screw themselves through the ceiling over the prices of add ons. Now the developers have to make a profit to live on and then this train outfit is going to need feeding and then MS. I have a hard time seeing developers like Flight 1 and the others who put out quality products wanting to support this idea.

Where are you guys reading this stuff about FLIGHT???  :blink:

There's no mention of this anywhere on DT's website just FSX. 

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Dillon is correct. it seems it is only related to FSX.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

This article has said a lot. It says they are going to release a "New game of  some sort" in 2015 along with re-releasing the FSX Gold on steam with a new host for online sessions as well as a "fix" for many bugs.  To me, it sounds like they are going to use FSX as a base platform and utilize what that engine is capable of to make a "new" sim under a new company. I'm not sure if this was already said...