Hi all,

I am thinking of upgrading my 22' monitor with a new 28' 4k Samsung one. I run the sim on a i5 3570k at 4.5Ghz,Asus GTX660 OC GPU.

My main concern is if I will experience a frame rate hit. If anyone has such an experience I would be grateful for any guidance. Is the experience vs a standard hd monitor worth the extra money?

Thank you for your time.

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

No, 700 euro

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |

I just took a look at the spec for an Asus  GTX 660, and it says the maximum digital resolution is 2560 x 1600. As 4K res is 4096 x 2160 I'm not sure how full 4K could be achieved?

Or am I missing something?

Eugene

Hello Eugene,

Thank you very much for your reply. I didn't know that such a limit exists for the GTX660. I will investigate that further.

Eugene, according to nvidia GTX660 supports 4K

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-660/specifications

I got the 2560 x 1600 res from the Asus 660 spec page for the GTX660-DC2-2GD5 card. I expect they make many cards with various specs, so you could well be right - but NVIDIA do say on that link you posted 

Note: The below specifications represent this GPU as incorporated into NVIDIA's reference graphics card design. Graphics card specifications may vary by Add-in-card manufacturer. Please refer to the Add-in-card manufacturers' website for actual shipping specifications.

Just had another look on the ASUS site, looks like they do 13 models of 660, type 660 into the search box, pick out your exact model, and it should be straightforward to work out the spec,

Eugene

Eugene

Sorry - Here's a link...

http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/GTX660_TIDC2TG2GD5/specifications/

No single card in existence can push 4k resolution succesfully at a decent frame rate expereience. Supporting the resoltion is one thing, actually having the horespower grunt to push that many pixels is another thing entirely.

A 660 is certainly not going to cut it.

Hi all,

I am thinking of upgrading my 22' monitor with a new 28' 4k Samsung one. I run the sim on a i5 3570k at 4.5Ghz,Asus GTX660 OC GPU.

My main concern is if I will experience a frame rate hit.

Daedalus, 4k is fantastic idea for PC gaming. Unfortunately there are three major problems: your processor, graphic card and... FSX. For modern games and 4K monitor best option is something like... 2x GTX 780. Of course you can use your nVidia 660 in 4K FSX, but in such case I assume that you will do this without stuff like FTX Global/Vector/openLC, airports addons, PMDG/iFly planes, weather programs etc. Just pure FSX and default planes. Even then, in my opinion, such weak graphic card like 660 is much less, then enough. About processor: something more powerfull will be welcome - this is FSX... :/

Thank you for your replies guys..

I will forget the 4K idea for the moment and will continue to use my system as it is.

I was in P3D V2.2 but returned to FSX+ENB. I have smoother experience, better visuals and PMDGs..

So I may upgrade to a regular 27' HD monitor.

No single card in existence can push 4k resolution succesfully at a decent frame rate expereience. Supporting the resoltion is one thing, actually having the horespower grunt to push that many pixels is another thing entirely.

A 660 is certainly not going to cut it.

I'm running a 780ti through a 4K projector, and get a reasonable quality of graphics. The refresh rate is only 30Hz, but running P3D 2.2 with FTX global and 30FPS, is smooth, with no blurries, at reasonably high settings including cloud shadows. I fly the iFly 737, so generally scenery isn't changing very rapidly, and I don't find the low refresh rate a problem, except maybe large turns on the ground can get a tad stuttery. My processor is an unclocked   i7 3930k

Agreed, a 660 is a little short of grunt...

Eugene.

I'm running a 780ti through a 4K projector, and get a reasonable quality of graphics. The refresh rate is only 30Hz, but running P3D 2.2 with FTX global and 30FPS, is smooth, with no blurries, at reasonably high settings including cloud shadows. I fly the iFly 737, so generally scenery isn't changing very rapidly, and I don't find the low refresh rate a problem, except maybe large turns on the ground can get a tad stuttery. My processor is an unclocked   i7 3930k

Agreed, a 660 is a little short of grunt...

Eugene.

I'll second this.  4k is doable, particularly in P3D which can actually utilize your GPU (unlike FSX).  I just purchased a 39" 4k TV to use as a monitor for P3D 2.3 and it looks amazing.  GA flying with very high settings is no problem on a 4.8GHz 4770k and an R9 290 locked at 30FPS.  Urban areas and complex planes are another story, but still flyable.  

I'll second this.  4k is doable, particularly in P3D which can actually utilize your GPU (unlike FSX).  I just purchased a 39" 4k TV to use as a monitor for P3D 2.3 and it looks amazing.  GA flying with very high settings is no problem on a 4.8GHz 4770k and an R9 290 locked at 30FPS.  Urban areas and complex planes are another story, but still flyable.  

What TV is that Techguy? I was looking at this Samsung http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/televisions/flat-tvs/UE40HU6900UXXU. How useable is it for normal desktop work? Reading various reports the use of HDMI 4.2.2 makes normal desktop characters difficult to read but is okay for games.

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

What TV is that Techguy? I was looking at this Samsung http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/televisions/flat-tvs/UE40HU6900UXXU. How useable is it for normal desktop work? Reading various reports the use of HDMI 4.2.2 makes normal desktop characters difficult to read but is okay for games.

Same situation with the TV I bought, and the only reason I went 4k this early is because of the price of this off-brand TV (Seiki - $350 + $50 MIR through TigerDirect).  I figure for that low of a price if I want to replace it with a better model in a year or so it won't be a big deal.  Plus I just sold my 27" 1440P monitor for $250 so this thing was dirt cheap.  

TechGuy,

Would you mind running down the pros and cons of this monitor as it applies to FSX/P3D? I'm seeing this Seiki being sold everywhere at really good prices and am thinking of grabbing one.  

Samsung has one for a couple hundred more and wonder if it's worth the extra bucks. Thanks much either way for your info.  

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.